Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm picking up a 2008 with 160 miles in 2 weeks from a guy that deals auctioned and used bikes and have some questions about the whole thing. It's been dropped at least once on each side with minimal damage(some small gouges on the bottom edge of the 'covers'). The guy seems very honest, and was not trying to 'sell' me the bike. Anyway, here are my questions:

1. With only 160 miles on it, it may have been sitting for a long time. Should I be concerned about fuel breakdown in the injectors? Should I take steps to clean them out?

2. I was able to slap the swing arm with the chain, but there are no signs the chain has been rubbing on the swing arm. Chain seems to have factory grease on it still. In my mind there are a thousand reasons the chain could be loose(dealer set it wrong, tire was removed at some point for shipping, etc). Should I be overly concerned about this?

3. How can I be sure the mileage shown on the instruments are from this bike? How can I be sure the engine serial matches the VIN on the frame?

4. Should I change the plugs due to age, or should they be ok?

5. Anything else I should be concerned about, or maintenance measures I need to take?

I have a lot of experience working on two bikes, a 250 Ninja and an '01 R6. As far as I can tell, the bike looks to really only have 160 miles on it. I've never bought I used bike though, or dealt with a bike that may have been sitting unused for a long time, so I could really use the advice.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
It doesn't sound like you shouldn't worry about any of those things just make sure the frame and steering are straight and it has no leaks. A chain with such little mileage is gonna stretch because it's so new so it probably just hasn't been adjusted. The plugs are fine, the iridums that come with the bike will go 16k miles (I believe) before the manual says they need changing, I did them at that mileage but to be honest they will go much longer. The only thing you should do after purchasing is change the oil and if you really wanna be anal drain the fuel other than that it sounds like it's ready to go.

Just as a measuring stick I bought my 08 with 14k miles and it had been down at very low speed on the left side. Everything was straight and it had been well maintained and now I've put 10k miles on it in one year and never had a problem.

If you're still nervous put some pics up and we'll help you as best we can, good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have to disagree with you on the chain. I've never had a chain go from being new and properly adjusted to being able to slap the bottom of the swing arm in 160 miles. Usually the stretching accelerates toward the end of their life for me. The guy is going to change the oil, adjust the chain, and check the tire pressure before I pick it up though so I will be able to check for uneven wear then. Here are the pics.

Barely scuffed covers, only 200 to replace. Little tear in the passenger seat.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
The damage is barely noticeable. IMO the chain is fine if you tighten it. Again just make sure the steering is straight and that there's no frame damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts