Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's not entirely bike related. But I just installed a new dual 48" fluorescent shop light in my garage, and after a few minutes of being on it has started to buzz terribly. Anyone know what could be causing this? I have googled it, but none of the solutions I found pertain to my situation as:
-It's not on a dimmer
-The ballast is brand new
-The light bulbs are brand new

Don't really know much about electricity and fluorescent lights, but this is pretty f*cking annoying. None of the other fluorescent ballasts in my garage do this, and they are probably a couple of decades old.

PLZ HALP.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Could possibly just be a cheap ballast. Is it an electronic or magnetic ballast? Have you verified that you dont have a voltage drop or a poor connection at the fixture? Whats the ambient temp in the shop.

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
All HID ballasts buzz. I have Denso/Koito ballasts striaght off a Lex, and they buzz. I think it sounds kinda cool. They stop making noise after they warm up

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could possibly just be a cheap ballast. Is it an electronic or magnetic ballast? Have you verified that you dont have a voltage drop or a poor connection at the fixture? Whats the ambient temp in the shop.
Pretty sure its magnetic. it cost 9 bucks at home depot. Ambient temp in the garage ranges from 60 at night, to 70 during the day (gotta love southern CA). The weird thing is that the buzzing didn't start until after the lamps had been on for at least 3-4 minutes. Now it buzzes 24/7, doesn't even have to warm up. I think im just gonna return it and invest in a little more expensive ballast.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
Yeah I did not read completely through. I have 48" lamps in my garage and they are quite loud as well. Sound's like a warehouse

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
failure on reading comprehension. he was asking about his Home Depot shop lights lol.
Haha, I thought about giving him a hard time, but anyone who has a tribute to Tool in their signature is clearly an awesome person

Update: took my cheezy 9 dollar ballast back to home depot and after dropping a whopping 19 dollars on an electronic ballast, the thing is quiet as a mouse (although slightly less bright, meh). Moral of the story is to be SURE YOU PURCHASE AN ELECTRONIC BALLAST. Many thanks to maverick for the ballast advice :cheers:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Haha, I thought about giving him a hard time, but anyone who has a tribute to Tool in their signature is clearly an awesome person

Update: took my cheezy 9 dollar ballast back to home depot and after dropping a whopping 19 dollars on an electronic ballast, the thing is quiet as a mouse (although slightly less bright, meh). Moral of the story is to be SURE YOU PURCHASE AN ELECTRONIC BALLAST. Many thanks to maverick for the ballast advice :cheers:
A lesson you will never forget. ha ha.. I hate a cheap ballast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts