Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of not being able to legally drive on freeways. I am going to get in a motorcycle safety course in two weeks. I want to take the DMV skills test so I can get my license. I just want to know if anybody has recently done the test so you can tell me what it consists of so I know what to practice on. I am in a hurry to get my license since I am deploying in less than a month and I want to be able to ride my RR the most that I can before I leave. Thanks

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I took the MSF safety course, there website is WWW.msf-usa.com, and you take the corse, its three days, and they have a 50 question written test and an actual driving test. Then if you pass they send you the certificate in the mail. I passed on sunday and got it on wednesday in the mail. Then i took that to the DMV and all you have to take is a 25 question test and you have your licence! I didn;t have to take the DMV driving test at all. Also you get insurance rebates if you take the corse. Good luck

-Roberto

·
Registered
127 Posts
if you can't pass the dmv skills test you should not be riding. I had 1 week experience, went down to the dmv on my 03 600rr and passed no problem without any practice, I didn't even know what I had to do. I guess some people are just a little lacking in the coordination department. Appriciate your service, and don't worry about the test. What's the worst that could happen? throw in your being deployed and maybe you will get some sympathy points.

·
Registered
165 Posts
how long ago was this that you took the test

i am under the understanding that it was recently changed to include a lollipop with cones two feet apart, requiring you to slalom through them without touching the ground

on a cbr, that sounds tough.

i have not taken it myself

·
Registered
389 Posts
i know up here in santa barbara county the test varies depending on what dmv location you go to. i live in santa maria and most people i know go up to san luis obispo and take the test there. the course is muuuuch easier. so you may want to check the course out at your dmv. also, i know you can practice on the course here any time, dont know if all dmvs are like that though. also talk to some local shops, if you know a good one, and see what they recommend. they could have some insight that will save you some time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think they changed the DMV test recently to make sure no one passes and so they have to go to the MSF training. I don't know very many people who have passed on a sportbike.

My brother had a hard time passing, so finally he just rented a motorcycle.. I think it was a 250 or something. He passed no problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
no highways!!! that sucks, here in missouri we cant ride at night on 2up with a permit, but the cops here are morons and dont know the restrictions, so as long as its valid they dont care usually.

·
Registered
127 Posts
maoun said:
how long ago was this that you took the test

i am under the understanding that it was recently changed to include a lollipop with cones two feet apart, requiring you to slalom through them without touching the ground

on a cbr, that sounds tough.

i have not taken it myself
I took the test in July of 2003. I did have to weave between the cones do a cirlce that had a diameter of about 8 ft, then slalom back through. Then you have to balance between two lines, circle, come back then do it the opposite way. Yes it takes skill, but if you can't do it you shouldn't be riding in my opinion. It's easy on the 600rr, I wouldn't want to do it on a goldwing though. You can go down to most DMV's and practice anytime you like, I know i can though I didn't know that before I took the test. good luck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
.. so.. basically, you are advocating that someone should not take the MSF?

uhm... right. You go do that.

The REST of us will say "Go take the MSF. It teaches you to be a better, safer rider, with the added benefit that you won't have to take the DMV lollipop test, just the written test."

·
Registered
165 Posts
shadow, was that in response to me?

i'm advocating taking the MSF instead of the DMV!!!

i've never tried the DMV test myself

·
Registered
254 Posts
no, to Sub.

and for the record, I practiced the lollipop after I got my license. It's not TOO difficult with a 600RR.. you just have to know how to really throw your bike into a tight turn, and counterbalance. The MSF test requires that you do braking, tight turning, emergancy responses, etc., hardly what I would call a waste of time. :eviltongu Did you practice S drills, emergancy braking, going over an obstacle, quick countersteering evasion drills, and other stuff? The MSF teaches you how to handle a bike properly, safely, and effectively react to most situations you will run into in the real world.

So spare us the better than you attitude, or the snide "if you can't pass the DMV test, you shouldn't be riding" comments. The DMV test is sub-par. It is no indication of how well you can handle a bike in a real world emergancy situation. Basically, what you are indicating is that you are poorly equiped to ride in most situations an MSF-trained rider can handle. So, please, don't ride near me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
dozadj I feel your pain for one I just have a permit and there is a 3 month waiting list up here for the class. I know I should'nt but it's so much fun to ride on The freeways. It's not like any one that rides on the street bought thier bike to follow all the traffic laws. And two I was in the marines and know what it feels like to be stuck in hell. Ride all you can who knows how long it will be befor you can ride again. And thank you for your service.

·
Registered
127 Posts
shadowcat said:
.. so.. basically, you are advocating that someone should not take the MSF?

uhm... right. You go do that.

The REST of us will say "Go take the MSF. It teaches you to be a better, safer rider, with the added benefit that you won't have to take the DMV lollipop test, just the written test."

um... please point out where I said not to take the MSF? I'm all for taking the MSF, but the DMV test is easy and if your that lousy on a bike then you got other issues, and to protect yourself please avoid walking and chewing gum at the same time :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts