Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any direct links to CA's lane splitting laws.

My buddy is a semi new street rider and riding like a @$$ hole through traffic. Going like 35 MPH through dead traffic and lane splits even if here is no traffic. I swore I read some where there was a law that you can not exceed more than 5mph faster than stopped traffic and you can not lane split if traffic is going faster than 15mph.

But he says unless I can provide a law link, he's in the right and going to keep doing it. I'm just trying to talk some sense into him by throwing law at him but as far as I can tell he's right. There is no regulation on lane splitting. Or at least I can find it anymore.

Makes me mad and I hate riding with him now. Again he rides like an idiot but he's still a good buddy of mine so I want to talk some sense into him :cursin:

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
There is no ruling, which makes it contentious. 'Safe and prudent', which rests the burden of the law on the officer (which is illegal actually).

I split aggressively, or at least I did when I rode street. In south america they split way, way more aggressively, but then again their drivers are trained.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I think I read somewhere that you cannot split if traffic is moving at or above 55mph, and if it's slower than 55mph, you cannot exceed the flow of traffic by more than 5mph.

·
Registered
236 Posts
There is no law in CA that tells at what speed you can lane split. As FightingChance said, it just has to be safe. CHP "recommends" that you should lane split no faster than 10mph over traffic speed and should not lane split when traffic is faster than 29MPH, so as per the recommendation, don't split higher than 39mph.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just my opinion. If you abuse lane sharing and ride like a mad man it will eventually bit you in the a$$ 😯 👻

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
It seems to be an "officer judgement " call a lot of the time.

Formula below:

ride (like a bunghole) +CHP (sees it) = stop

or R(bf)+CHP =ohF!.

Note; above equation does not include CTIF(v)

CTI: = Cali Traffic Idiot Factor-widely variable! and has 2 components.....others and you!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Here in oregon im sure it's illegal, lucky you in cali haha
Most accidents I've seen and experienced one car rear ended another. I definitely wouldn't want to be the car in front.

Like most people said, recommended speed is 10mph above the moving traffic. I would avoid your friend at all cause. Your buddy will get you in his mess one day.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Most accidents I've seen and experienced one car rear ended another. I definitely wouldn't want to be the car in front.

Like most people said, recommended speed is 10mph above the moving traffic. I would avoid your friend at all cause. Your buddy will get you in his mess one day.
Here in Texas it's illegal but since you brought up accidents, within my first month on my 250R I kept checking my mirrors and this Tahoe/Suburban was not slowing down, so I filtered through stopped traffic at a red light and the guy I was behind started swearing at me but was quickly distracted by that Suburban hitting him 9-12 seconds later.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It seems to be an "officer judgement " call a lot of the time.

Formula below:

ride (like a bunghole) +CHP (sees it) = stop

or R(bf)+CHP =ohF!.

Note; above equation does not include CTIF(v)

CTI: = Cali Traffic Idiot Factor-widely variable! and has 2 components.....others and you!
Lol what do you do for work dude?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Updated CA Lane Splitting Guidlines (Laws)

This is the actual statement directly from the CHP web site regarding the Lane Splitting General Guidelines. Simply put there is no law that says it is Legal or Illegal in California and that the CHP wev site no longer posts or has a link that has any specific laws or rules on splitting lanes. Just use common sense people, and get ride safe.

Motorcycle Safety Information Update

Information regarding "lane splitting general guidelines" is no longer available.

A petitioner complained to the Office of Administrative Law that there was no formal rulemaking process for the guidelines, and raised other objections. The CHP discussed the issue with the Office of Administrative Law and chose not to issue, use or enforce guidelines and thus removed them from the website.

The underlying purpose of the guidelines was to provide common-sense traffic safety information.

California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering."

Creating a safer highway environment is the shared responsibility of drivers and motorcyclists alike. This is achieved by staying alert and using common sense and courtesy while on the road. It is also important for motorcyclists to minimize their risks by riding responsibly, always wearing a helmet and other protective gear and to never ride under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicants. Here are other important safety reminders:

Watch your speed-a motorcycle collision is highly likely to cause injury or death
Assume people in cars do not see you.
Avoid blind spots in other vehicles, particularly large trucks

The California Highway Patrol also strongly encourages all motorcycle riders to sign up for the California Motorcyclist Safety Program, which is administered by the CHP as California's official motorcycle safety and training program. The Program offers courses for new and experiences riders. Find out more about the California Motorcyclist Safety Program.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i like how that link says for motorist to use "common" sense. it does not exist anymore. Lane splitting is 100% legal in cali. pretty sure the law is 10mph faster then what traffic is doing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts