Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be somewhere I searched and haven't been able to find anything to official. I want to put an akrapovic slip on, on but want to make sure its going to be compliant with California. On Motostarz they have two listed for 07-08 one is CARB compliant and the other is EC compliant. Are either of these street legal in California? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Hey
So I own a motorcycle shop in Temecula, California. I sell a lot of exhausts and this is a difficult subject... well, kinda.

Anything that modifies the sound or emissions devices on any motor vehicle in CA is illegal. Slip-ons that are CARB compliant meet emissions requirements but may not meet noise compliance. The state only regulated sales on emissions devices. So, for me, as a retailer, I have to fill out a form and send it in to my suppliers stating that any device that is not CARB compliant is sold for off-round/closed course use only.

CA does not regulate sales for noise issues, and for that, you would need to look at DOT approval. Any device that is not DOT approved is technically illegal. Cops don't necessarily know if your device is DOT approved, but they CAN cite you for noise compliance.

Something else for noise too, each county and city may have directives regulating noise more stringently than the state laws, which is legal for them to do.

Now, most exhausts do come with some sort of baffle. and you won't usually get pulled over for noise with the baffle in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts