Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20140612_205536 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

As you can see, the first Allen (not mounting) 'bolt' towards the top of the caliper sits flush or just under, however the lower one protrudes quite a bit in comparison.

What could have caused it?
Should I just try to use an allen key to see if I can get it back in?
How safe would riding it in this condition be if I can't move it back in?

Appreciate the feedback.

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
Make sure the pin goes through the retaining pin correctly.

The retaining pin puts pressure on the pin which should stop it from making its way out.

As above tighten it; but do not overtighten it as you can crack the caliper very easily

The torque spec is very low on those pins

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Tightened it up along with the rest of them slightly and went for a good ride without trouble. I'll pull them out at some point and add some threadlocker for the peace of mind.

Rinonz, is that your bike? That caliper is....ouch....totaled?

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I always use thread locker for brake bolts!!

Disc Bolts, Calipers bolts and retaining pins... super recomendable!

Reactions: Rad Rage

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Only use green thread locker on that bolt, if you use anything else you will also risk cracking the caliper.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Only use green thread locker on that bolt, if you use anything else you will also risk cracking the caliper.
Are those color codes "universal" for every brand?!?!

Coz now that I read you I realize my thread locker is red... But I never had any problems... Of course the first twist to remove them is hard... but I never cracked anything...

Just curious about this color thing...

This person speaks much truth!
That's what I always try! :thumbup:

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
If you are using permatex brand red should go nowhere near your bike.

Blue is good for things you aren't going to touch often... Rearsets bolts etc

Green is pretty gentle. Good for serviceable bolts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Are those color codes "universal" for every brand?!?!

Coz now that I read you I realize my thread locker is red... But I never had any problems... Of course the first twist to remove them is hard... but I never cracked anything...

Just curious about this color thing...

That's what I always try! :thumbup:
RED?! That requires heat for removal it's the strongest type. I doubt the red one you are using is the same. The universal brand (sort of) is Loctite, at least as far as I know.
Weakest to strongest being (Purple, Blue, Green, Red).

Link:http://www.loctite.com.au/aue/content_data/133403_LT_4985_Threadlocking_Users_Guide.pdf

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
That's my bad.. Mixed up green and purple.

Use the gentle stuff (purple) for stuff like brake pins, clip ons, pinch bolts etc. Blue for rotor bolts, rearsets bolts etc.

Red leads to hard feelings lol

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Rad did you recently replace your pads, or were just overlooking the bike and you noticed that?

Also for any racers, is there a way to safteywire those bolts? Are you required to?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Don't use purple on brake components, the heat cycling makes it unsuitable for use.

Green for brake components and frequently serviced parts subject to minor vibration, particularly those prone to galvanic corrosion (steel bolts in ally castings etc). Blue for pretty much everything else. Red is only for things like studs that basically never need to be removed. Think of red as thread locking with a welder.

The colours are pretty much universal, but you have to be aware that there are thread lockers for different applications that are the same colour...

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rad did you recently replace your pads, or were just overlooking the bike and you noticed that?

Also for any racers, is there a way to safteywire those bolts? Are you required to?
I was just cleaning my rotors and realized the bolt was sticking out.

Regarding the safety wire, it might depend on your organization. I have only come across wiring the mounting bolts and maybe the lock nuts but not the ones I was inquiring about.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
That's my bad.. Mixed up green and purple.

Use the gentle stuff (purple) for stuff like brake pins, clip ons, pinch bolts etc. Blue for rotor bolts, rearsets bolts etc.

Red leads to hard feelings lol
Pre cure blue on rearset bolts and rotor bolts or green. Blue can be used but isn't really necessary on rearset bolts but using blue on rotor bolts is a bad idea cause the amount of torque an allen head will survive may not be enough to remove a bolt locked in place with blue, particularly the second or third time around, and green will do the job perfectly.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
This is what I use...

Been using it for 3 years, no problems, no loose bolts...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts