Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do you guys keep your black plastics looking fresh after each ride?

I wash, polish, then put 2 coats of wax/buff once a week...but I seem to be finding new scratches everytime I go out riding. They're not rashes but rather swirls of all different shapes and size. The most visible blemishes are on my tail piece and around my tank protectors. These "swirls", some more noticeable then others, are beginning to dull the shiny finish of my RR.

These are the steps to the detailing ritual I take every weekend.

1. Wash with water+light detergent
2. Rinse thoroughly with fresh water.
3. Dry with clean, very soft towel.
4. Polish with plastic polish I purchased from autozone.
5. Wax with Turtle Carnuba Wax.
6. Buff with wet soft towel.
7. Re-wax with Turtle Carnuba Wax.
8. Buff with dry soft towel.
9. Q-tip the edges between fairings and hard to reach areas.
10. Wipe the rims clean from road grime with little bit of googone.

I Lube lightly all 4 footpegs and kickstand mechanism once a month as well as clean/lube chain once every 1500 miles.)

The towels I'm using are very soft and does not create scratches.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same here. I see new scratches everytime I take it out in the sun :headscrat Even in places I haven´t laid my hands on since the last time :tard:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Scratches all over the place! I got to the point where I don't even care anymore... The more I ride/wash it, the more appear. Right now she's 3 months dirty...

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I have not had any real problem with mine. All I use is Honda Polish. Black is going to show dirt and fine scratches more than other colors. You should clean/lube your chain more often than 1500 miles. I lube every 250 and clean/lube every 500. I think the manual calls for every 300....correct me if I am wrong. I don't lube the kickstand or pegs. I do lube the cables every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Get yourself some glaze for that Mo fo.. 3M dark car glaze works really good. You can find this or something similar at any Pep boys or A.Zone...Just apply it like you do wax but dont let it haze, keep rubbing till it's shiny! Get a small bottle, you'll only need a few drops for the whole bike.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i should've posted this thread in the maintenance section.

LaWNMoWER said:
What do you use to lube the pegs and kickstand? Do you lube the levers too?
i use wd-40 for those.
for chain, i use chain lube i purchased from motorcycle shop. chain specific lubes are sticky and do not fling. i have not lubed levers since purchase 2 months ago. but i should?

600rrrider said:
I have not had any real problem with mine. All I use is Honda Polish. Black is going to show dirt and fine scratches more than other colors. You should clean/lube your chain more often than 1500 miles. I lube every 250 and clean/lube every 500. I think the manual calls for every 300....correct me if I am wrong. I don't lube the kickstand or pegs. I do lube the cables every once in a while.
which cables do you lube and what do you use to lube them?

rocketscience said:
Get yourself some glaze for that Mo fo.. 3M dark car glaze works really good. You can find this or something similar at any Pep boys or A.Zone...Just apply it like you do wax but dont let it haze, keep rubbing till it's shiny! Get a small bottle, you'll only need a few drops for the whole bike.
tell us more about this "glaze".... how do they work? and how well do they work?

·
Registered
77 Posts
your not washing the bike right if your getting swirl marks, and you should use detergent every weekend that will remove all your wax you want to build up mulitple layers of wax over time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the same problem as you guys. Sucks... however, I just take a step back and look at the whole picture.

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
dude , any black vehicle is gonna show scratches, thats just how it is...For the most part i have few scratches on my bike,most of them up front where the debris from the road and cars hit.

If you go through that kind of cleaning process every week you have to much time on your hands. there is absalutely no reason for that much cleaning on a bike.

I will wash,polish and wax my bike about every 1-2 months. the rest of the time I use either Turtle wax spray wax, Mcguiers quick detailer or the honda cleaner to do quick clean-ups. I rather use my time riding the bike a little dirty rahter then cleaning it all the time. Black looks great but its a bioootttch to keep clean.

check the sponge you use to wash the bike also, It might have some dirt on it which will scratch the sh1t out of the bike when your washing it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Okay here's your problem.

1. you are waxing your bike wayyyyy tooo much.. Everytime you wax it, you are removing part of the clear coat layer, the clear coat is there to prevent swirl marks. If you wax it every week, then you no longer have a layer of clear coat on your paint. So welcome swirls.

2. swirl marks are due to dirt/dust and your towel. The ONLY towel you should use, and I mean only, is a microfiber towel. I dont care how soft your towel is, if its not a microfiber towel, then it will put swirl marks on your bike.

When you rinse your bike, make sure you rinse it with cold water for a pretty long time. You wanna get all the dirt/dust off the bike before you start working on it. Moving a towel in circular motions if you have a very light layer of dust on the bike, will cause swirl marks. So make sure you thoroughly rinse it off before working on it.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I don't have a black RR but I just use the pressure washer at the car wash.
Dry it using a microfiber towel then Honda Polish.

Just be carefull on what you spray then using the pressure washer.
I've gone this for years and ever had a problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So long as you are not using an abrasive containing wax, (which turtle wax is not) you shouldn't be harming the clear coat. A good wax job should last three to four months, if not more, depending on frequency of wash and exposure to sun. When the water stops beading up on the parts you've waxed, then it's time to wax. Don't waste time waxing every week, that's time not spent on the bike.

Only use a detergent, such as Dawn (yeah the dish soap), to strip the wax before you wax. Otherwise, wash your bike with a normal car care soap such as Meguiars Gold Class or Meguiars Soft Wash Gel.

You can purchase a swirl remover, such as Meguiar's No. 9, and apply it. This will help remove exsisting swirls. However, be certain that anything that touches your bike is 100% cotton. Microfiber towels are great for polishing and waxing and what not, but so long as the towel you are using is 100% cotton AND free of dirt (means change em often) you'll be fine.

Also, try to find a wax called S100 or P21S. It's the same item however it is normally sold as S100 at Harley dealerships. It is, by far, IMO, the shiniest wax I have ever used. One coat is all you need and it goes on just as easy as it comes off.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Microfiber towels are the only towels that touch my bike. I don't have a black bike since I've had a black truck before and I learned that you are going to get swirl marks showing up regardless. Therefore I knew better than to purchase a black bike, don't get me wrong I love the way black vehicles and bikes look but it is too much hassle for me. Costco has a pack of 24 microfiber auto cloths for like 10 bucks. It a good investment if you want to slow down the swirl mark process.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Ive had mine for 2 years. I used to baby the hell out of it. Washed it all the time with honda polish or plexus. Now I just wash it when it needs it, i use zip ties instead of fasteners sometimes for the plastics. I don't care all that much. She's a go fast bike. I ride the hell out of it instead.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
It doesn't matter about your method if you're using dirty rags. Make sure you are using CLEAN soft cotton towels. I use receiving blankets found in the baby section of your local department store. I use 2 or 3 rags even when the bike is relatively clean. One to clean with turning and folding as needed. One to wipe off the Honda polish and then one to shine.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts