Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my dad just got a DSLR, and I was going to steal it from him to take some pics. I have seen some of the stuff that some members here have done. I love the pics, but I have NO photography experience at all aside from using a point and shoot. Anyone here care to make a 'quick' how-to on how to take pics with certain properties. I have been playing with the camera a bit, but I still don't know what settings do what. I have taken a bunch of pics with random settings, but as you would guess, I have no clue how to get the right combination of shutter speed and arpeture (sp?) and redbull! Educate me! What kinds of filters are good for what, etc.

I try to take pics that look like this:toothy4: but come out like this:bootyshak

Also, any input as to what programs you guys use to 'finish' your pics if any. How to get certain colors to pop, etc. Any and all info is appreciated! TIA!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been there, it is 32 pages of people talking about what equipment they use. I was looking for a break down of what each function/feature does, etc. Something that teaches a noob without having to sort through that much crap.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I've been there, it is 32 pages of people talking about what equipment they use. I was looking for a break down of what each function/feature does, etc. Something that teaches a noob without having to sort through that much crap.

good luck on that.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
try the users manual

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I have been reading the owners manual, but it just tells me how to adjust the different settings, not what the benefit is or recommendations.
there is no "recomended" settings, it comes down to how YOU want the picture to look

i personally like to keep my fstop as low as possible (bigger opening in the lens) and adjust exposure times when i use my dslr

but you might not, theres no preset, if you want that, put it on auto, the camera will rarely fail you.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The Digital Photography Book.... by Scott Kelby. Go buy this book, its like photography for dummies....... the book has sections devoted to taking outdoor pics, scenery, portraits.....etc. It a great book to start learning from before you get into full manual settings. What kind of camera?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I have been reading the owners manual, but it just tells me how to adjust the different settings, not what the benefit is or recommendations.
most photographers out there learned in a couple different ways.

classtime
reading
shooting

or a combination of any or all of the above.

my advice.

read the manual, that's enough to get you started.
then go out and shoot, shoot, shoot and then..shoot some more.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
google aperture/shutter/ theres a bunch of sites dedicated to teaching you these subjects

once you know THE RELATIONSHIP between aperture/shutter/iso then when you shoot you'll see how they all effect each other, you change one of these 3 the others have to change as well, please dont just ask what to do , YOU have to do the reading yourself and then shoot yourself.

Like said there is no "recommend" settings, unless you just put it on one of the automatic modes and let the camera do all the work but then whats the point of having a slr?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, thanks guys! I have been playing with it a bit, but rather than just guess, I was hoping someone could help explain a few things. I might have to pick up a book, or do some reading online. I am usually pretty good at picking up something, using it and becoming proficient in it, but this thing has soooo many different settings, options, etc. Thanks again for anyone who had constructive feedback! BTW, it is a sony a300 (I know, probably the suzuki of the DSLR world, but rather than spend mucho money on a DSLR myself, I will play with his for a while and if I get good at it, I will pick up a nikkon or something for myself. I just don't wanna waste money on a nice camera that I won't even fully use.)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Dude just put everything on Auto, shoot in Raw format and if you have a flash set it to backlight and go nuts. Then you can start the hard stuff like learning photoshop or the gimp.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Awesome, thanks guys! I have been playing with it a bit, but rather than just guess, I was hoping someone could help explain a few things. I might have to pick up a book, or do some reading online. I am usually pretty good at picking up something, using it and becoming proficient in it, but this thing has soooo many different settings, options, etc. Thanks again for anyone who had constructive feedback! BTW, it is a sony a300 (I know, probably the suzuki of the DSLR world, but rather than spend mucho money on a DSLR myself, I will play with his for a while and if I get good at it, I will pick up a nikkon or something for myself. I just don't wanna waste money on a nice camera that I won't even fully use.)
not that I'm trying to pimp another site, but you'll find some good info here. I spent ALOT of time on this site when I started out.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

and yes..it's a Canon forum, but theory is still the same.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The most important setting

is your light - meaning shoot in bright, well lit conditions. Always keep the sun at your back, which means that it will shine on your subject instead of in your eyes. Put the camera in Auto/Program, and shoot away. If the shots come out blurry, your hand is probably shaking or the shutter speed is too low - in this case, either get a tripod or shoot in better light! Try to have a simple background that won't distract from your subject. Try different angles - get down low to the ground, or get high above the subject. Remember to always have fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts