Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my stock cam chain tensioner started going bad on my 05 with 16,000 miles. i began hearing the chain between 5-6k rpm so i replaced it with the ape tensioner. i adjusted it so it was as loose as possible, but got rid of almost all the cam chain noise between 5-6k rpm. i noticed that i have a lot of cam chain noise above 8k rpm that did not go away. i tried tightening the tensioner more but the noise is still there so i backed it off to where i had it originally set. Is this noise due to my chain stretching? or could it be something else? any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Could be the chain or guides, but are you sure its coming from the cam chain and not something else?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its hard to tell what the noise is with all the other engine noise and exhaust noise, but to me it sounds like the cam chain. its is not my fairings vibrating or anything loose that i know of. i have looked around for something that might be loose, but it sounds too much like cam chain noise. that clicking sound is very distinct but i have not heard of people having problems at higher rpm's. the sound is more obvious under load than if i wind out the bike slowly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont expect much but i thought someone might have had a similar problem or heard of a similar problem.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
you are POSITIVE its not wind screan ratteling... or the top of the gas tank rattling against the ECU (this is common in 05-06)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its not the gas tank cover, i had that problem and put foam underneath which solved the vibration. i checked my clip-on bar ends. i just checked my windscreen too. i had the sound before i adjusted my valve clearances and after, so after taking half the bike apart and putting it back together, i know everything is tight. i have looked around quite a bit on these forums for anything else that it could possibly be. i have become very familiar with the sound of a cam chain rattling against the guides. the sound im hearing is not a plastic rattle, but rather the same type of sound i heard between 5-6k rpm before i installed the manual cam chain tensioner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2400 miles ago. i change it every 3000. Im pretty meticulous when it comes to maintaining my bike. ive been listening to the sound over the past couple of days and now im sure its the cam chain/guides.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
That may be as a result of over-tightening the cam chain...

Only thing left is to pull her apart and have a look....

·
Registered
108 Posts
I installed the manual cct a while back and am having similar trouble. To review, the manual cct only needs to be tightened until pressure is felt from cam chain before locking it in, correct?

Has anyone ever counted the threads on their APE manual cam chain tensioner when properly tuned? That might at least give me a reference point when adjusting mine. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Tighten it until you feel a slight amount of resistance then start the bike and continue tightening until the cam noise goes away.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tighten it until you feel a slight amount of resistance then start the bike and continue tightening until the cam noise goes away.
I have done that but still hear a vibration. The sound is not the "can of bbs" sound from the cam chain but quicker rattle that is not as loud or as high pitched. I could just be hearing things. I just rolled over 30k miles and i guess part of me is just getting paranoid about the bikes age and any maintenance i may need (that i dont know about).

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
You could be hearing the oil pump drive chain, if its soft I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey guys, I've been having some rattling type noises starting around 3.5k rpm and going up till 5-6k rpm (beyond it might just be drowned out by bike noise). I haven't been able to figure out yet what it is, but from reading about the ccts it seems this might be it. I got ~50k miles on it (2003). How can I be sure it's the cct? What would it sound like? All I know is that mine sounds scary. To me it sounds like the valves are loose or something. But definitely a metallic rattle. Thanks for any help. I hope I'm not thread jacking.

Edward

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
See if you can find where the noise is coming from, if its the left hand side of the case then its probably the cam chain. After 50k miles I wouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ive had the same problem on my 07 13k+ miles, took it to the shop and they told me it was the cct. so i bought one and was attempting to take off the old one but cant get to the bolt on the left hand side. was wondering if anyone knew how to and no i dont have a manual but i should get one seeing that i do all the work myself.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Where does one buy a new stock cct? Anywhere other than cheapcycle parts and the like? They all want like $60. Or is that as cheap as they get?...

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Where does one buy a new stock cct? Anywhere other than cheapcycle parts and the like? They all want like $60. Or is that as cheap as they get?...
Online parts store, local dealer... and $60 seems pretty good to me, mine cost a fair bit more than that, think it was about $90 - $100, but not 100% sure.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts