Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bikes equipped with the MANUAL aftermarket cam chain tensioner (CCT). I've been told by few locals that the OEM tensioner is unreliable and recommend to continue using what I have rather than the auto adjust CCT.

Give me you input guys!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Personal choice. Yes, the OEM will eventually fail, but it's cheap enough that it falls into the inexpensive maintenance category for me. The manual ones are just that - manual. Personally, I chose to go with OEM because I'd rather not have to make adjustments. That requires pulling the fairings off for me. My time is worth $50 every few years to me.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Oh yeah, not to mention that if you set the manual CCT incorrectly, bad things can happen. If the OEM CCT hasn't failed, it will always be at the correct tension.

·
BOTM Winner 09/15
1,418 Posts
My experience with the OEM CCTs hasn't been good, been through 2 in 12k miles. I've got the APE manual one on now and it's much better, nothing to break and you just adjust it as you need. Only downsides are that you do have to add checking it to the list of monthly checks (or weekly if you ride a lot) and make sure you don't over tighten it because if you do you can seriously damage things.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What happens if it's loose? The last CCT I had on the motor which is now replace, I went 15k miles before needing, or concerned on adjustments. Is this normal or am I taking too long on adjusting them?

How bad, severe, is it to the motor when chain is loose?

·
Registered
460 Posts
What happens if it's loose? The last CCT I had on the motor which is now replace, I went 15k miles before needing, or concerned on adjustments. Is this normal or am I taking too long on adjusting them?

How bad, severe, is it to the motor when chain is loose?

You'll hear the cam chain slapping around if it's loose. You just really don't want the chain to jump a tooth and ruin timing and possible damage a valve. I haven't had to change mine yet at 25k. Had the bike since 14k...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just replaced mine with another oem one and the noise is still there. Per nico, it could be a defective oem or the chain guides which would sucks since my bike only has 8000miles. I don't know if I should get another oem (and risk to be DOA again) or go manual

·
BOTM Winner 09/15
1,418 Posts
Even a new OEM part can be faulty, I just don't trust them anymore and prefer to do it myself with a manual CCT.

With regards to how often to adjust it and how much, when the chain starts to rattle enough to notice when I ride I give it a tighten. Only a 2 minute job so do it after a ride or as it's warming up. Tension wise, you want to adjust it so it's just enough to stop the chain noise so I have the bike idling, loosen the APE CCT back to hear the rattle and then tighten it to the point where I can't quite hear it. You don't want the chain to skip a tooth as mentioned but you also don't want to over do it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
manual CCT are a pain. Not worth bothering with. People often think their CCT has gone bad when they hear a soft tapping sound when really eveything is fine and it's just the chain and valvetrain doing what it needs. A tappy valve is a happy valve. I've seen people have a lot more problems with oil leaks and CCT failure from manual tensioners than from OEM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts