Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone pleas scan some the pages out of the manual where it shows how to install the cams. I bought my bike early this year from a bud and I think he is off a tooth on his install. I have a book but I lent it out and I have the whole ehing tore apart and I am not sure how to Check the cams position. It seems like there are multiple aligning marks on the cam. I took it in to dyno it and It only made 98hp. But the real kicker was that it peaked around 9500rpm.

please help

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where is it supposed to make it? What rpm?

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
You really need the book for that. You could have had a bad fuel pump, spark plugs, fuel strainer, pinched hose, etc., as to why you peaked at 9,500rpm. If you were off on the cam timing you would know it. There'd be no guessing about it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would make the bike not idle for chit until 190 deg? My bike will not idle until it is warm. than it runs decent. So it doesn'r idle and its power cureve is way off. Whats your idea?

Replaced
throttle bodies,
fuel injectors,
fuel rails,
fuel lines
fuel pump/tank,
spark plugs

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes they were used. but it ran the exact same as the pair I had. I guess it could be the problem but I dont know of anyone willing to let me disect their rr to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
919 said:
I thought they where supposed to make about 98 hp?
an RR?! maybe an 03-04 with no ram air... idk 05's are supposed to make a little more than 100 (ive heard from 102-108) at the wheel. definitely not at 9500 rpms tho you have a problem there

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I couldn't get the compression tester down the hole with the valve cover on. I will try now that I have the cover off. Maybe the rings are in the wrong position and I am geting blow by or something. It is a 03 with a micron slip-on PCIII slightly ported head. I didn't do the work and I bought it in pieces for $4k I put it togeher and this is what I got. I still dont think it was a bad deal because I went in knowing that it may not run. I figure I could always go ebaying and get a new/used engine for about $750-$1000.

I will jump the starter with the battery to test it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If it runs like crap til warm it could be the valve clearances are off, especially if your buddy had the cams out.

It would be best if you could get the engine warmed up before you run the compression test to get an accurate reading and remember to hold the throttle wide open while cranking it over.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that could be the problem because he was messing with the shims. thanks for the help. I will keep an update.... What is the thread size of the spark plug hole? so I make sure to find a tester with that thread.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just talked to the guy who ran the dyno on the bike and he realy seems to think that it is of a tooth on the cam gears. because it starts right up but then it stalls then it runs when at temp this is why he thinks that it is not shims or any thing. I am just going to check compression and the timing.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
this is why im not gonna mess with anything like this lol... air filter exhaust v-stacks and pcIII are about all the performance adders for me.... honda knows best about the internals (about everything for that matter)

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
You might as well check your valve clearances while you're in there. How many miles are on the bike? I don't see where one tooth on the cam gear could cause it to jump time. Maybe several teeth missing. I'm leaning with RLS, towards the head or the TB's.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If it has a PCIII, maybe try another map. or remove it altogether and run it.
I have 28k on my 03 and only 2 of the exhaust shims were off by a thou.
The manual was on this site, maybe a search?
When you do a valve check, in the procedure you start with the crank mark (T) lined up with the index mark. When you have this mark lined up the camchain top gears should have (IN) mark on the intake side of the intake gear and (EX) on the exhaust side of the exhaust cam.
If the marks are on the inside of the sprockets, Turn over 360 degrees.
If these marks align up, then I would think that the chain hasn't skipped or been installed wrong and the cams should be right.
I don't think you can put the intake cam in the exhaust cams position due to the fact the cam pulse generator bolts to the other end of the exhaust cam.
Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It only has 2500mi on the bike

NewRedRider said:
You might as well check your valve clearances while you're in there. How many miles are on the bike? I don't see where one tooth on the cam gear could cause it to jump time. Maybe several teeth missing. I'm leaning with RLS, towards the head or the TB's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will do my best. I found a head for $100 bucks and I am half tempted to buy it. The only problem is that I am about broke and Christmas is coming and I need to save.

Dekon said:
If it has a PCIII, maybe try another map. or remove it altogether and run it.
I have 28k on my 03 and only 2 of the exhaust shims were off by a thou.
The manual was on this site, maybe a search?
When you do a valve check, in the procedure you start with the crank mark (T) lined up with the index mark. When you have this mark lined up the camchain top gears should have (IN) mark on the intake side of the intake gear and (EX) on the exhaust side of the exhaust cam.
If the marks are on the inside of the sprockets, Turn over 360 degrees.
If these marks align up, then I would think that the chain hasn't skipped or been installed wrong and the cams should be right.
I don't think you can put the intake cam in the exhaust cams position due to the fact the cam pulse generator bolts to the other end of the exhaust cam.
Let us know how you make out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts