Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to the Feb. 16 track day and am going to mount my canon mini dv camera with the over tank mount. the question i have is can i use a hard wired car kit on the bike to power the camera. i have done stuff like this in a car but not on a bike. like cut the cigarett plug off and hard wire the positive and negative to the battery. will this run down the battery while i am riding it at the track. or will the constant high rpm's keep the battery on the bike charged. or will i not have to worry about it, and just go ahead and wire it up.

thanks for the help
dennis

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
What does your car kit consist of? Is it an DC to AC converter that you can plug your house charger into? Your going to have to do some research for this one unless someone else can answer this question. Basically, you have to find what kind of current draw your bike has with the components it already has. If you have a track bike you probably don't have any lights so this is a plus.

For instance, after a few calculations I concluded that my camcorder charger consumes 16Watts of power and has a current draw of 145.45 mA.(Remeber you have fuses that will blow if you exceed the current rating) Knowing this I would have to find what is the rate of recharge for the battery. This leaves this equation:

Power In - (Power loss+Camcorder Power Loss)= ???

If the answer is a positive number you should be in the clear.

This post is too general because just about everyone here has changed their electrical system one way or another so who is to say what works? I say just plug it in and see what happens. Electrical geniuses like Kirchoff, Thevenin, and Millman found most things out the hard way.

Sorry for the long post I hope I have shed some light on the subject.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help. it is the canon unit that just runs the camer off of a cigarett lighter.for the track i will be unplugging the lights on the front and rear which is good, also the turn signals will be unplugged. so i should be saving some current there. but i would like it to work on the street with all my goodies on it.

thanks again. i hope someone can shed more light on this.

dennis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts