Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Canon SD1100 and I'm planning to pick up about 3 more Canon SD1100s to SD1200s (depending on price) to use for video recording on track. Any suggestion to where are the best places to mount them? This is not to record myself but for friends who are following me.

I'm thinking 2 cameras facing away from my back near the passenger foot pegs. One on the gas tank facing forward and perhaps one at where the mirror goes facing me.

If anyone has a better angle and would like to share, that would rock. :shakehand

Thanks!

D

·
0 Posts
On the gas tank as close to the bubble as possible. Those cameras wont be able to mount up too securely and fight against wind while getting usable video/audio. You're better off with a GoPro or Countour for mounting anywhere else.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Check out the video from Pashnit.com

Some GoPro Mounting ideas here - http://www.pashnit.com/product/gopro/gopro_mounting.html

I purchased some Ram Mounts from http://www.expressmounts.com/
  • RAM Mount 1 inch Socket and 0.25 inch NPT Thread Arm (RAM-B-200-1U)
  • RAM Mount Strap Rail Base with 1 inch Ball (RAM-B-108BU)
  • RAM Mount Round Plate with 1 inch Ball (RAM-B-202U)
  • RAM Mount 0.25 inch NPT Thread with Single 1 inch Ball (RAM-B-218-1U)
  • RAM Mount 12 inch Flex Arm with 0.25 inch NPT Thread Ends (RAM-PF-585-12)
  • RAM Mount Long Arm B-Socket (RAM-B-201U-C)
So that I could do the behind the rider shot like in 0:41 - 0:52 in the vid. The RAM-B-108BU is going to be attached to my rear turn signal with some rigging to get the shot and not break my turn signal. Haven't done it yet, though looking forward to next run to payson, however you get the idea. You should be able to use the same locations for your situation too.

Attachments

·
Jack Daniels is my bff
1,985 Posts
planning to pick up about 3 more Canon SD1100s to SD1200s (depending on price) to use for video recording on track.
Why in the world would you do that? Those cameras suck for that kind of stuff. I have a canon sd940is that is my pocket camera when I go places, I used it for a while on my ebay tank mount and wasn't very happy.

I have a gopro hd now and its a much better system for this. Comes with plenty of mounts to put anywhere and the crash case is awesome. You can even replace just the lens cover piece on the case if you catch a rock. If a rock hits your canon camera lens its toast. I'm also amazed at how well it handles wind noise. On top of my helmet going 140+ you can still hear the sweet hum of my bike :cruising:. If the canon could even survive at that speed I can't imagine how the sound would be.

I say don't wast your money or time and do it right.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the gas tank as close to the bubble as possible. Those cameras wont be able to mount up too securely and fight against wind while getting usable video/audio. You're better off with a GoPro or Countour for mounting anywhere else.
Didn't you write up a review about how suck GoPro is? Their cameras are way too expensive. With their price I can get 3 Canon SDs. I do like the Contour though, very slick.

Here's a Video of my Canon Movie Mode. It's not that bad.

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/action_adventure/watch/v20421328kj9yCgFX

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Didn't you write up a review about how suck GoPro is? Their cameras are way too expensive. With their price I can get 3 Canon SDs. I do like the Contour though, very slick.

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/action_adventure/watch/v20421328kj9yCgFX
The number of good reviews vs. bad ones far out weigh the bad reviews. Good luck though! :thumbup:

808 Keychain Camera is on the cheap also! About the same quality as your current camera too!

D

·
0 Posts

I wrote up a review on how GoPro as a company sucks, not that the camera sucks. There's nothing out there for the price that can beat a GoPro.

Stick on a cheap camera and you will get cheap results. I've thrown out about 20 hours of track video from cameras similar to the Canon SD's because the quality is absolute crap. That's why I went and got a GoPro. A camera that is designed to record quality video at speeds of over 100mph while still having usable audio, surviving a crash, and not being destroyed by rubber that gets kicked up by tires.

·
Jack Daniels is my bff
1,985 Posts

I think he was talking more about problems with the original software than how the camera actually performed. I think the new software fixed the issues, he has a whole thread on it.

You can get the GoPro Hd motorsports kit for 240 shipped. That comes with four 3m mounts, the suction cup mount (which to my surprise works fantastic) and the housing with two different backings. Not a bad deal in my opinion for what you get.

The Canon SD1100s you mentioned only takes VGA video while the GoPro or even the Contour HD take 1080p. It also is a flimsy little camera that will probably be destroyed by wind if the rocks and debris don't do it in first. It's like comparing apples to oranges. The contour HD is nice as well I researched both before buying. The one thing that really sold me on the GoPro over the Contour is how much better it handled wind noise. There are comparisons out there and the GoPro is night and day better. If you plan on running a mic to a covered area and adding a seperate audio track when you edit your videos then it doesn't matter I guess.

D

·
0 Posts
I think he was talking more about problems with the original software than how the camera actually performed. I think the new software fixed the issues, he has a whole thread on it.

You can get the GoPro Hd motorsports kit for 240 shipped. That comes with four 3m mounts, the suction cup mount (which to my surprise works fantastic) and the housing with two different backings. Not a bad deal in my opinion for what you get.

The Canon SD1100s you mentioned only takes VGA video while the GoPro or even the Contour HD take 1080p. It also is a flimsy little camera that will probably be destroyed by wind if the rocks and debris don't do it in first. It's like comparing apples to oranges. The contour HD is nice as well I researched both before buying. The one thing that really sold me on the GoPro over the Contour is how much better it handled wind noise. There are comparisons out there and the GoPro is night and day better. If you plan on running a mic to a covered area and adding a seperate audio track when you edit your videos then it doesn't matter I guess.
The GoPro works better at 720P. But yeah, unlike the Canon SD that can only record WVGA, the GoPro has WVGA 50fps/60fps, 720P 25fps/30fps, 720p 50fps/60fps, 980p 25fps/30fps, and 1080p 25fps/30fps.

And even though this is with one of the old GoPros, I'll give you $1,000 if your Canon SD can do this.
http://vimeo.com/5025203 Watch the whole thing

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I didn't say that my camera will outperform the suggested GoPro or ContourHD. Let's not forget my original posts. For the price of GoPro or ContourHD, I could easily get 3 of the CanonSD 1100s which will give me what I wanted, videos at different angles. I just want to know a good place to mount it to. As long as the memory card still work even if my camera is crushed, I'll be satisfied.

I already know what quality my camera can produce and I'm OK with it. I don't need 1080p and spend all day uploading. However, I do appreciate the feedback. I DEFINITELY will consider one of the two choices of high-res camera.

D

·
0 Posts
Even if the GoPro was low resolution only, it's still better than a camera designed to be hand held. A lot of rubber gets kicked up on race tracks. A gumball size of rubber hitting a regular camera at over 100mph will destroy it; I know from experience. Put something like that in the open wind with weak mounting points, no protection from wind, and a weak body that isn't made for those pressures and forces, and it's asking for trouble.

You can get more angles from 1 GoPro or Contour than you can 3 Canon SD's, because with those you're limited to mounting them in a low wind area that wont put too much force on them. Mostly being limited to putting them on the center of the gas tank.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Don't know much about those, but I know I love my ContourHD, takes awesome video and plenty of mounting options.

Good luck though!

D

·
0 Posts
For relatively slow speeds, that vibrates and buzzes a lot. Don't expect anything useful from a bike being ridden at high speeds on a track.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For relatively slow speeds, that vibrates and buzzes a lot. Don't expect anything useful from a bike being ridden at high speeds on a track.
It came out fine on the video above at the track. Vibration is with every camera and depending on where you mount it too. Some cameras have better image stability (IS) than others. Your point is taken.

I got to do some more testings before I shell out $700+ for 3 GoPros.

·
Registered
188 Posts
you can also mount the camera on the middle of the side fairings, the low angle makes for a good sensation of speed. you can point it backwards too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts