Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can heat-cycling be a problem on Pilot Powers?

Howdy. So I've been running Pilot Powers for a while on my 04 RR. They've had 7 trackdays on them at an intermediate pace. About 4000km total with some road riding in addition to the trackdays. There's very little wear in the middle of the rear tyre and the sides aren't worn to their indicators yet. But they're worn. The front still looks very good.

My question is this: on my last trackday, it really felt like the back-end was losing grip on corner exit very quickly. Like it was spinning up, cos the revs would rise but the bike wouldn't accelerate. I don't think it's clutch-slip as I don't get it when upright accelerating in a straight line.

In addition, the front seems to be moving more under hard straight-line braking.

So are the tyres shot from heat-cycling? There's still rubber available, but is it possible that they've just stopped gripping?

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
heat cycles will affect any tire. it will degrade the grip slightly, but unless you are really pushing it, it should be fine.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
street tires dont really heat cycle like race tires do. but with the amount of trackdays you have and that you are closer to the end of tread...those tires are shot for those reasons, not for heat cycling. I'm lucky to get 3 trackdays out of a set before one side of the rear is going bald....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I think I'm not going to risk binning a $12k motorcycle (that's how much they cost here!) by being too stingy to replace a $300 set of tyres! ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
If your doing track days, might be a good idea to step up to the Piolt Power 2CT, I think MRI has them now or will have them very soon, or depending on how much street riding you do, grab a set of Power Race tires.. I just tried a set of PR1/PR4 last race day, I was very impressed, switched from Pirelli and picked up 2.5 seconds per lap....

·
S VEEEEEEEEEEEEE Thrasher
2,160 Posts
pantablo said:
street tires dont really heat cycle like race tires do. but with the amount of trackdays you have and that you are closer to the end of tread...those tires are shot for those reasons, not for heat cycling. I'm lucky to get 3 trackdays out of a set before one side of the rear is going bald....
u have to remember pantablo.... it all depends who is ride'n. if he is able to get 7 trackdays, then that means it still has meat on the edges ;) jk

7 trackdays sounds like a lot for a set of tires. it should be just about time to swap.

·
Registered
213 Posts
pantablo said:
+1

7?! Oh man, if I can get 3 like Pantablo, I'm a happy camper. Then again I run on the PR2/PR5 combo...

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
~BLACK ICE~ said:
if he is able to get 7 trackdays, then that means it still has meat on the edges ;) jk
not based on what he said, "There's very little wear in the middle of the rear tyre and the sides aren't worn to their indicators yet. But they're worn. The front still looks very good."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts