Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so 2 months ago I was riding with my friend on the highway at around 80 mph when i started hearing a metal sound, similar to that of tangling keys from a keychain, so I ignored that thinking it was my keys.

10 minutes later the sound is gone and I start smelling fuel, i feel a splatter on my chest and i was scared shitles, i look down at the gas tank and realize that the gas cap is not there (I have an aftermarket keyless cap). So I turn around on the highway, and ride in the wrong direction on the hard shoulder (I wouldnt have done that but it was 2am and there were literary no cars) for almost 3 kms in hope to find the lid, but I had no luck.

it was a 20min ride back home with my elbow in the opened gas tank to prevent fuel splattering out, and as soon as i reached, i re-installed the OEM gas cap temporarily until I order a new keyless one online.

like i mentioned, this happened 2 months ago, TODAY however, I took the bike for a steam wash, and while the guy was at it, I hear something fall on the ground, I look down and it is the freakin gas cap !!!!! It fell off from the left side fairing somewhere beside the fan. I have nooo idea how it reached there and it drove me crazy

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Hard earned cash for sure I am glad u have not lost that gas cap

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
it probably came off, into your chest, then into the opening of the fairing. wind then gravity. it makes sense.

what doesnt make sense is that you have not learnt your lesson. imagin doing 80mph on the highway again, to have the keyless cap open up , spilling fuel on you again and the lot igniting.

best part is you now know it can happen and you know its dangerous, so why persist with keyless cap.

EDIT: wait , wait. you rode into oncoming traffic on a freeway in the dark because you thought it would be safe. bro you HAVE a death wish. you are riding high risk. all it took that nigh to kill you was a disposed sigarette but or a spark or a fuel cap in the chain or a vehicle without lights thinking he is the only guy on the highway.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never understood why people replace the stock cap on a street bike.
the OEM gas cap is 10 times better I agree, I only got an aftermarket one cz i wanted a black gas cap, and im not a fan of spray painting nor the carbonfiber like stickers.

hahaaaa im ready for the flame throwers and machine guns but another reason would be that im too lazy to switch off my bike when filling fuel :p

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
What kind of keyless cap did you get? Is it Vortex or some other name brand, or is it the cheap no-name ones from ebay?

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
the OEM gas cap is 10 times better I agree, I only got an aftermarket one cz i wanted a black gas cap, and im not a fan of spray painting nor the carbonfiber like stickers.

hahaaaa im ready for the flame throwers and machine guns but another reason would be that im too lazy to switch off my bike when filling fuel :p

buy OEM, send to tripage for PC ...

or remove locking mechnizim and seals, and take some where to get pc'ed

you now have a sstock, black, locking gas cap ...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
So you buy a a product that many use on race bikes, it malfunctions or you forget to put it back on, and you get flamed lol. Only reason I would be against it is b/c of possibility of an idiot putting something in my tank. Ignore the haters/trolls, some of them must have a horrible life b/c all they seem to do is jump on ppls cases about nothing. OP just make sure what you replace it with is legit cap whether its keyless or not

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So you buy a a product that many use on race bikes, it malfunctions or you forget to put it back on, and you get flamed lol. Only reason I would be against it is b/c of possibility of an idiot putting something in my tank. Ignore the haters/trolls, some of them must have a horrible life b/c all they seem to do is jump on ppls cases about nothing. OP just make sure what you replace it with is legit cap whether its keyless or not
My bike happens to be in Abu Dhabi, which is IMO one of the safest cities in the world. I leave my bike parked with the helmet and jacket just thrown on top, whether its a 15 minute lunch or a 3 hour movie, had it for 2 years so far and never faced any thefts or acts of vandalism, so no the fear of someone throwing something inside doesn't worry me.

there are bikes parked all over the place here, the worst someone passing by could do is stand next to it and take a picture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts