Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I took my bike out (03 RR)this lovely day for a nice cruise. The temp was about high 70s, low 80s. We ran into a little bumper to bumper traffic which shot the temp to around 220ish but it was farely fine afterwards. I parked to regroup for a bit, then made the ride out to DC. We parked when we arrived and waited for one more rider. When he arrived, my bike would not start! I kept trying and trying and the bike went from lights on in the HUD and some grinding (every start attempt) to no lights on at all!

I called NUMEROUS tow companies in the DC/VA/MD region and had no luck. Nobody would tow a bike. I was chilling near the waterfront with a bunch of secret service agents just eyeballing me anticipating my next move. After a number of phone calls, there was no luck. I didn't want to leave the bike in the city over night, so we pushed it and jump started it to ride it home.

Now, I've heard from sources that it's not good to push and drop the clutch to jump start it. I heard that can affect the stator. My battery is factory and I'm wondering, what should I do? Buy another battery? Take it to a shop? Any advice is helpful, thanks.

E

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can't see how you went from lights/ignition on to -> no lights to -> push starting. Theoretically, it should not have started when you tried to push it.

Not sure about the 03RR, but the 07 allows you to kick the ignition with the kill switch activated.. I almost drained my battery learning this on the side of a road on a pitch black night.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
may have an issue with the starter solenoid. nut im not sure 100%.

ive push started many bikes with no bad side effects yet.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Get your battery load tested any auto parts store would do it for free
push starting a bike is harmless best of luck

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well, I am pretty sure it is your battery, that happens to me when I leave it on but not running for a minute or two, it will die, especially with the brights on. The clicking is just your battery trying to start. I have not any time to take it the shop to get a new battery but I am sure that is what is. As far as lights and then no lights, that is because you further drained the battery. You can push the bike and that will recharge the battery a little bit, enough to kick start it. If you go to the shop and get more info, I would be interested in knowing how to fix this problem.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get your battery load tested any auto parts store would do it for free
push starting a bike is harmless best of luck
Thanks moeman. I'll make sure to get it tested this week. I tend to keep my kill switch in the "On" position at all times. When I turn my bike on, I just put the key in the ignition and start it. Would that have an effect on it?

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
The kill switch has no effect with ur battery. had this issue before. definitely have it checked at an autoparts store and recharge. most likely its just low battery. good luck.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I am pretty sure it is your battery, that happens to me when I leave it on but not running for a minute or two, it will die, especially with the brights on. The clicking is just your battery trying to start. I have not any time to take it the shop to get a new battery but I am sure that is what is. As far as lights and then no lights, that is because you further drained the battery. You can push the bike and that will recharge the battery a little bit, enough to kick start it. If you go to the shop and get more info, I would be interested in knowing how to fix this problem.
This is pulled from another forum I posted on. See if this helps.

http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/140473.aspx

·
Hittin The Twisties On My RC 51
1,196 Posts
Dude, I was in the area you were in Sunday. I wish I would have known. I would have helped you push start it and like Moe said, it doesn't hurt the bike at all. You might just need a good charge. I am going to put mine on the charger while I am thinking about it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dude, I was in the area you were in Sunday. I wish I would have known. I would have helped you push start it and like Moe said, it doesn't hurt the bike at all. You might just need a good charge. I am going to put mine on the charger while I am thinking about it.
I think I saw an RVT cruising on K. I saw a bunch of bikes. I ended up stopping a guy on an F4i from MD. I hope it's only a charge. You think I should just disconnect the battery and take it to an auto shop or should I take the bike there?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can't see how you went from lights/ignition on to -> no lights to -> push starting. Theoretically, it should not have started when you tried to push it.

Not sure about the 03RR, but the 07 allows you to kick the ignition with the kill switch activated.. I almost drained my battery learning this on the side of a road on a pitch black night.

??? That is the point of push starting...to get it to start when the battery is dead..i.e. no lights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts