Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please explain to me why people think a harley is safer than a sportbike? When people ask me what i ride i tell them a cbr. Their response is usually "oh my god they are so dangerous please be careful". But when my friend who is standing right next to me answers the same question with "A fatboy" they just say "oh cool". I get into arguments with people all the time over this. I stop in half the distance, accelerate way faster if needed, and handle 1000 times better. Is there anywhere where i can find statistics on this. Cruiser vs Sportbike accidents??

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think it has to do with the stigma and assumption that people on sports bikes get them to hot-dog. If you really look at it though, most accidents involve another vehicle (cage) which then it really only matters as to who wears their riding gear, which very few harley riders do (aside from chaps, oooooh :crackup:).

I usually just chuckle and tell them I'm not worried about my bike or myself, I'm more worried about the other idiots on the road. They're not going to understand otherwise.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Its all about preception

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If you really look at it though, most accidents involve another vehicle (cage) which then it really only matters as to who wears their riding gear, which very few harley riders do (aside from chaps, oooooh :crackup:).
QUOTE]

Don't forget those way cool ultra-protective leather vests and bandanas. :crackup:

·
Registered
539 Posts
"louder pipes save lives" ... that was one of the arguments my mom said to me for not getting a crotch rocket.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
The bottom line is ________
It does not really matter what you are riding at that moment when its your time it will be your time regardless of your ride being a Harley , a crotch rocket , a chick or the toilet seat .

When the green reaper comes calling you soul will be going back to the all mighty creator so stop thinking about the what if's or the when's and enjoy evrey breath of air you take cause frankly no one knows when that will occur .

·
Registered
139 Posts
Grim reaper. LOL

One analogy that comes to mind is a shotgun/rifle (cruiser) vs. a machine gun (sportbike).

Both can kill, however only one can put bullets in you at a higher rate of speed! Probably doesn't make sense.

In all seriousness, not crashing is 100% human factor. Doesn't matter what you're driving or riding (assuming the vehicle is mechanically sound). It's all about the attitude. Brand new sportbike riders aren't as likely to get in an accident as a 2nd year rider. I know there's a stat for it somewhere but I can't find it. The difference is over confidence. IMO, it's much easier to over-ride your abilities on a sportbike vs. a cruiser.

·
Registered
506 Posts
What everyone else said....

It's the image that sport bike riders are hotdoggin' kids with immortal attitudes....and the fact that these bikes can hit 60 faster than a Harley will clunk into first gear.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I work a lot of wrecks....

..and I will have to say it is about 50/50 sportbikes to cruisers. The thing I find unusual is that I rarely work a wreck involving a naked bike, sport touring bike, or adventure touring bike despite the numbers of these bikes out there. It seems I find more experienced, focused riders on these bikes. Just one man's observation....

·
Registered
277 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts