Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was installing Frame Slider onto his bike, 07 RR. When he screwed the bolts into the engine mount he must of cross threaded them? Because the Bolt is tight as F**k, but its still sticking out about an inch.

How could we fix this?? If it is even possible?

·
Registered
368 Posts
if you can get the bolt out carefully use a tap and redo the threads

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolt is already out, How hard is it to use a tap? I've never done it. How does it work?

·
Registered
368 Posts
taps are not too hard to use but you are going to have to be dead on with it sense its going to cut new threads if you miss align it best thing to do is put some 2-3 drops of cutting oil or wd 40 and slowly turn it in 1 or 2 turns in with 1 1.5 turns out this will not be a fast processes so just take your time with it

sense you say you have never used a tap im going to guess that you dont have any taps so i would recommend that you go to a specialty hardware store to get one normally the guys that work at one have some really good knowledge and advice on haw to use the tools

also bring the bolt with you so you can match the treads of the bolt to the tap

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help bro. Hopefully everything works out well.

PS.... B5 S4 is a SICK car, Lucky Bastard

D

·
0 Posts
Take the bolt out carefully, but DO NOT just use any tap to do it. If you use a thread cutting tap, you can mess up the threads even more. Use a thread restoring tap to fix it, they're a bit more, but it's cheaper then buying a new block.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take the bolt out carefully, but DO NOT just use any tap to do it. If you use a thread cutting tap, you can mess up the threads even more. Use a thread restoring tap to fix it, they're a bit more, but it's cheaper then buying a new block.
I bought this die thing to restore the threads on the bolt itself first, then I have a tap that is hand turned and is suppose to "clean up" the threads, inside the block. That's what the guy at this small local hardware store said. He usually knows his **** pretty good. I go in there a lot.

Would a tap that cuts new threads look different then one that just restores them? If it does please let me know, I don't plan on attempting to fix this until tomorrow. Got some :all_cohol to do today. Ha

D

·
0 Posts
A thread cutting tap will be fairly sharp where a thread restoring will be somewhat, but not enough to cut thread, but still sharp enough to reshape it and bend threads back into place.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A thread cutting tap will be fairly sharp where a thread restoring will be somewhat, but not enough to cut thread, but still sharp enough to reshape it and bend threads back into place.
Alright man, Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts