Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past two weeks the whole rear end of my bike has been dismantled. What started as just having the pegs and rearsets sprayed turned into a bigger project. Since I work about 60 hours a week, have an ex-wife to deal with, try to spend as much time with my kids as possible, and maintain a social life (women and booze, yay!), this stretched my project out a bit.

I get the parts back from being sprayed. I got the integrated tail light in, cleaned up the tail with a homemade FE, the Corbin arrived (perfect timing), stripped off the squid stickers and reflectors, sprayed the bolt heads, and put her all back together. Last night I put the rearsets on (had to wait for the bolt heads to dry) and she’s all set to go.

Turn on the power, hit the starter, she cranks but don’t fire. Hrmm. I pull off the seat and make sure I didn’t pinch anything going to the battery. All good there. I pull the left fender open and check the fuse box, all good. What the hell can it be? I try it again and now the battery sounds like it wants to die. Great. I call work (I do computer work for AAA) and I get someone to put a jump box aside for me. I call my buddy who I was supposed to meet and he comes by after I get the jump box. I tell him everything I did, checked, re-checked, etc. He listens and lets me go on and on. I turn the bike back on and try to start it. Finally I’m all done and all sorts of frustrated.

Frank – “You’re a retard.”

Candles (me) – “What?! I checked everything!”

Frank – “Yeah?”

Candles – “Yes! This is ********. I didn’t do anything with the engine and my electrical is tip-top!”

Frank – “And you’re still a retard.”

Frank points to the instrument cluster, the gas gauge in particular. One bar. I just hang my head and grab the gas can and walk down the block to the Sunoco station (city living is good for something!). Drop a gallon of fuel in the tank, hook the jump box up (I knew I’d have to crank it longer than usual) and tried to start her up. After about 30 seconds of cranking and giving her a little throttle she kicked over. I’ll never live this down. Before I locked up the garage my pal Frank looks at me and mutters, “Damn crotch rocket jockeys” (he has a Honda Shadow) and we head off for a ride. It was a tough night at the bar later when I had to admit this to the rest of the crew.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Haha, been there done that, but not with the bike. I had an old POS british car that spent more time being towed than driven.

Well, It died on me again and I was pissed. I managed to coast into a gas station and call my friend for another tow. I got it home and after checking all of the electricals, I noticed it was out of gas. I had even coasted into a gas station. DOH!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
haha, i think we all have had our "retarded" moments with our bikes. my uncle couldn't get his rc51 to fire so after checking everything he threw it on the trailer and went to the honda shop down the street. long story short, he forgot to flip the cut off switch to the 'on' position. oops...

·
Registered
539 Posts
integer26 said:
haha, i think we all have had our "retarded" moments with our bikes. my uncle couldn't get his rc51 to fire so after checking everything he threw it on the trailer and went to the honda shop down the street. long story short, he forgot to flip the cut off switch to the 'on' position. oops...
hahahha thats a good one..

Worst experience for me is running out of gas on the freeway the night I was supposed to meet my girlfriends parents for the first time.:laughing5

·
Registered
226 Posts
I used to work at an auto parts store, these two guys come in, they were regulars. Their "badass" (aka P.O.S.) jeep broke down on the side of the road and they needed a new fuel pump, they had the old one with them. We didnt have it in stock, so I asked them if they were sure about the fuel pump. I got called a idiot and they left. A week later they come back in and it turns out they were just out of gas, I heard this and burst out laughing, the guy that called me an idiot got red and stormed out of the store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts