Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I know save it for the track. Well thats hard to do with the closest track is a few hundred miles away.

Heres the story I was out with some friends and was pushing the corners a little hard. I was mid way through and ended up somehow drifting into the other lane. Not Cool there was a car coming the other direction. Wow close call.

So I have learned one thing slow down. Problem is I am so slow and nervous everytime I get on the corners. Anything that I can do to get over this fear.

Also any suggestion on why I drifted into the other lane.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I like to start out at a local bar with some shots of vodka to settle me down before i start doing standup wheelies down the crowded interstate.

Riding with friends trying to push each other is a great way to get killed or worse watch your buddy get killed. I use to do some stupid $hit out riding with the guys...right slava?

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
jrdenney said:
Ok. I know save it for the track. Well thats hard to do with the closest track is a few hundred miles away.

Heres the story I was out with some friends and was pushing the corners a little hard. I was mid way through and ended up somehow drifting into the other lane. Not Cool there was a car coming the other direction. Wow close call.

So I have learned one thing slow down. Problem is I am so slow and nervous everytime I get on the corners. Anything that I can do to get over this fear.

Also any suggestion on why I drifted into the other lane.
you kinda answered your own question, you know what to do. ride within your limits.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Close calls can do that to you. How long ago was this incident? I rolled a car when I was 17 and was scared to drive for a while afterwards. A few weeks later the fear just went away, and I went back to normal driving. Less the speed and recklessness normally associated with teenage drivers of course. I say just give it some time, and lay off the throttle, speedy!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also another thing I have noticed is that feel like the bike is going to slide out from userneath me. I feel really scetchy. I think that the suspenion is to stiff. Could that be possible. its really hard to explain but its like it does give much.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its was about a month ago. Like you said give it some time. I have been hitting the corners as much as possible trying to get over the fear. Its kind of embarassing because I seem like I am holding up traffic.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
jrdenney said:
Also another thing I have noticed is that feel like the bike is going to slide out from userneath me. I feel really scetchy. I think that the suspenion is to stiff. Could that be possible. its really hard to explain but its like it does give much.
By all means, adjust the suspension if you think you need to. Just be absolutely sure to WRITE DOWN EVERY SINGLE ADJUSTMENT!!!! That way you can undo one that's wrong/ youdon't like. Major adjustments not recommended, start small.

But like I said before, just don't sweat it. You'll get your groove back in a little while.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
There are a bunch of factors here, and I'll try to address a few of them. But as for the suspension issue -- that is something only you can address. Just make sure you know what each setting does (preload, compression damping, rebound damping), and how they affect ride quality and handling. There are plenty of threads here as well as other resources to help you learn.

Unintentionally crossing the DY is not to be taken lightly. If a car was there, you would likely have been severely injured or dead. It shows a fundamental lack of control of the bike. It was highly likely that you could have negotiated the corner at the speed you were going, BUT you were going faster than YOU were able to react, and you target fixated and crossed the line. The solution? You already know it -- slow your pace way the F down and ride at the speed YOU are comfortable with. ALWAYS. With time and experience, you will naturally pick up speed while maintaining you comfort level.

You said something that worries me: "Its kind of embarassing because I seem like I am holding up traffic." I'm not sure what you mean by traffic, but if you are referring to your friends, then they need to understand that you are still learning and improving. You might want to consider riding further back in the pack. (But there should still be at least one experienced "sweep" rider behind you.) If they don't understand that, FIND NEW FRIENDS. When I was riding streets, I had a group of friends with experience all across the board, from first-year riders to club racers. But we all knew the correct protocol for group riding, were understanding and respectful of the differences in experience (and speed). Even if I was at the front of the pack, if things weren't feeling "right" for me, I would let the other guys pass me up while I figured things out alone in the back. There is no shame in going slow.

Also, you may want to consider more solo rides. A lot of people prefer group rides, but personally, I found that I learned more riding solo. Particularly if you feel pressured (by other riders, or by yourself) to keep up the pace, riding in a group setting can actually be more detrimental. (Granted, this assumes an already sufficient level of riding experience. If you feel like you're still kinda floundering out there, it might be best to find ONE good, experienced, understanding rider to kind of "mentor" you.)

My $.0000000000000000000000000002.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great advice Quasi. I feel the same way, i ride better solo then with other riders. Everyone learns at a different pace, and we all get there sooner or later
just be sure of yourself and take your time, that helps me out alot-

eric

·
Registered
769 Posts
Give yourself some time and don't push yourself too hard. Same thing happened to me last April when I took a turn too fast on a cold bike and lost it. Luckily no one was coming in the other lane as I slid across the road. I'm glad it happened, I'm a lot more conscious now of what I'm doing, but it took some time to get back to where I didn't feel like I was going to slide out every time I took a turn. Good luck!

·
Registered
669 Posts
ok I have to take this one; I am sorry if you take this as a flame but help me understand. If memory serves me correct a few weeks ago you were telling me about your buddy who bought my bike and that he had a bad accident by doing something stupid on the street and how bad it scared you. If I saw something like that in my own opinion I think i would have took that as both a blessing and a warning. You said it scared you yet you still think it is a good idea to push that hard on the street. I hate to say this but until you have a serious accident I really feel you will not learn. Please dont take this the wrong way but I think you have alot of growing up to do. please respect the bike you are on and keep in mind you may have ahold of the grips but the bike is still the one in control.

sorry for the rant

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
jrdenney, Quasi gave you some very good advice. The only thing I would add about crossing the DY is look ahead and through the corner even if you can't see the end of the corner. It's sounds like you're dropping your eyes in front of your front tire thinking or worrying about what your about to run over more than you're focusing on where you need to go. Look ahead and plan your line early so there's no last minute adjustments. Also, if your ever in that situation again keep in mind the bike will handle alot more lean angle than you think.

I had a REALLY bad crash when I was 19 (Hit a deer). It didn't deter me from riding but I'm still paranoid of animals running out in front of me. These kinds of lessons stay with you for a long time. You just have to learn to deal with it and push on.

And as far as you holding people up, I'm not sure if you meant cars or your friends but either way, screw them. If you have a cager that's riding your ass let him go by. Don't try to speed up and get out of your comfort level. The most important thing for you right now is to be relaxed and comfortable on the bike. You can't do that if your worried about other people.

·
Registered
813 Posts
i agree, don't try to "keep up" just ride at your own pace. Sometimes i want to go to the canyons by myself, but i'm afraid if something happens, nobody will find me. So my best advice is to find someone with similar riding experience, or as quasi said, make sure you're with a group that has an experienced sweep.

·
Registered
769 Posts
J3rmz731 said:
Sometimes i want to go to the canyons by myself, but i'm afraid if something happens, nobody will find me.
I'll have to see if I can find the story, but a couple years ago a guy here disappeared one night after taking his new cruiser out for a ride. He was a newbie, and they found him in a tree off the side of a backroad a week later. RIP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts