Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed a million times but here I go anyway, I am in the process of de-winterizing my bike. Of course the tires are kinda flat. So, my question is what should the tire pressure be. I can follow the tire spec but is there a general rule for the type of riding I ma gonna do? Mostly short rides around town or some day rides. Also, should I alter the pressure if I go for long rides (more that two days on the highway). BTW, it's Pilot Powers that I have on my 06 CBR600RR. Thanks peoples.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Just amke sure that you take it for a ride so the tires get a chance to come up to temp and see what they are. I ride my bike everyday and keep my tires (both F/R) 002RS's at 37cold.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The sticker on my '04 (on the swingarm I think) that says the recommended cold tire pressure is 36 psi front and 42 psi rear. Might be different for an '06 though.

·
Registered
579 Posts
i cant believe you guys run pressures that high, im at 34psi hot all around.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just curious, why do you guys run different tire pressures than what Honda recommends? I'm not the most experienced rider so I'm too scared to experiment with it.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Just curious, why do you guys run different tire pressures than what Honda recommends? I'm not the most experienced rider so I'm too scared to experiment with it.
Honda recommendations are fine for straight line commuting. The higher the pressure, the more tread life you'll get. Most of us run our tires in the low to mid 30's for spirited rides that involve curves. Lower pressure = better traction.

I ran my first set of BT-016's at what the dealer put them at (40ish) and they felt like absolute crap in any corner. I now comfortably run 34/34.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I run my 002RS's where I do because I commute mostly. I find that they have great traction at 36-38. I go for good tread life while having the feedback that I comfortable with. Everyone has their favorite. Plus the max cold PSI for the 002 is 42.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
33F 34R here(DC3's). Quite happy with how the bike feels at these pressures. Like Jyn said, higher pressure will give you more tread life, but traction will decrease. novaRR..... don't be afraid to play around with tire pressure a bit. Try some different setup's and go with what feels right for you. You will feel if the bike pushes a bit too much, then its time to up the pressure in increments till its good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
33F 34R here(DC3's). Quite happy with how the bike feels at these pressures. Like Jyn said, higher pressure will give you more tread life, but traction will decrease. novaRR..... don't be afraid to play around with tire pressure a bit. Try some different setup's and go with what feels right for you. You will feel if the bike pushes a bit too much, then its time to up the pressure in increments till its good.
Thanks for the tip!

Sorry kapchai, I sort of jacked your thread on accident.

·
Registered
175 Posts
BT016 33 front 35 rear, 4K miles on tires and they loook great and traction is not an issue for me on the street.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
pp's 36ishfront 40 rear.
Will lower it some if going on a spirited ride but for the most part just leave them at the above settings.

·
Registered
452 Posts
pp's 36ishfront 40 rear.
Will lower it some if going on a spirited ride but for the most part just leave them at the above settings.

Yeah, I run 35psi front and 40psi rear and lower each tire by 3psi if I go out for a twistie ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the tips. Looks like majority of the tire pressure is around 34 psi for an all rounder. Definitely gonna try playing with the pressure to get a comfortable feel when I hit the corners.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts