Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/july/july16-22/july1807loriscapirossiinshocksuzukimove/

MCN understands Marlboro Ducati’s Loris Capirossi has agreed to join Suzuki's MotoGP team next year.
This will see Italian joining Chris Vermeulen in the Rizla Suzuki squad after the Aussie agreed to stay on the GSV-R 800 for another year.
Stung into action by the loss of John Hopkins to Kawasaki, Suzuki have replaced him with one of the most experienced riders on the grid by snapping up Loris Capirossi following the news that he is all-but out at Ducati for 2008, in favour of Marco Melandri.
MCN understands Loris Capirossi has signed a one-year deal l to ride the much-improved GSV-R, rejecting a Kawasaki contract and leaving Ducati after a five-year stint to join his third Japanese factory team, after spells with Honda and Yamaha in the 1990s.
Suzuki and Kawasaki have been at odds over the same riders for much of this season, with Kawasaki first showing interest in three-times world champion Loris Capirossi early in the season, and last week managing to prise John Hopkins from Rizla Suzuki for 2008.
Chris Vermeulen is believed to have agreed verbally to stay with Suzuki, despite a late show of interest from Yamaha to ride an M1 in 2008.
Talking earlier about his options Chris Vermeulen said: “A factory team is the best thing for lots of reasons. The budget is bigger, development is quicker and the bike is built around you.
“There’s no number one or two at Suzuki and they treat John and I equally, but he was the senior rider with more experience and most of the stuff was developed around him.
“I feel if I stay at Suzuki I will be the senior rider and that has its positive points. I have spoken to Lin Jarvis of Yamaha. He was interested and wanted to discuss my future and working with Yamaha."

·
Registered
995 Posts
HA! Excellent move Paul Denning... this goes to show that those who rumored Spies to go in a not thinking management! :)

But in all seriousness, I don't think Rizla will have an awesome year next year...

I hope Melandri will put on a good show for us tho!

·
Registered
796 Posts
So its shaping up to quite a line-up for 08'

Hopkins-->Kawasaki
Caparossi-->Suzuki
Melandri-->Ducati
Jorge Lorenzo-->Fiat Yamaha (still not officially announced)
Edwards-->Tech Yamaha (still not officially announced)

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
is the Melandri to Ducati official?

·
Registered
610 Posts
capirossi to suzuki? i thought he'd be out at ducati, but not for melandri. didn't they try to sign melandri once before?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huh. What's up with Edwards leaving Fiat Yamaha?
They are signing 250cc champion Jorge Lorenzo to be team mates with Rossi in 08. Edwards is most likely to go to Tech 3 Yamaha. Hopefully for him they will switch from dunlops to michelin or bridgestone.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
They are signing 250cc champion Jorge Lorenzo to be team mates with Rossi in 08. Edwards is most likely to go to Tech 3 Yamaha. Hopefully for him they will switch from dunlops to michelin or bridgestone.
Edwards is a sick rider. He should be on a better team then Tech 3.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
he says he wants to now, he used to not but now wants to. I think it would definitely be good and have a better resume then most of the americans who have made the jump.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would love to see Spies in GP,but suzuki has dominated AMA superbike for years now. He might not have won so much if he was on a different bike. I think it would take him a couple years to come to terms with the bikes and tracks.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
^^^ Well motogp is all about the bike to. I mean you obviously have to be one of the best riders in the world but take a look at Hayden for instance. Won the whole thing last year and now his bike isn't quite up to par and he's running 9th in points. The bike you are on is very very important in any top level motorcycle racing. Having the right tires as well is very important.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^ Well motogp is all about the bike to. I mean you obviously have to be one of the best riders in the world but take a look at Hayden for instance. Won the whole thing last year and now his bike isn't quite up to par and he's running 9th in points. The bike you are on is very very important in any top level motorcycle racing. Having the right tires as well is very important.
I totally agree. MotoGP is probably more so about the equipment than any other motorcycle racing. I just get really bored with ama sbk because either Mladin or Spies is gonna win. I mean they have won the championship every year since hayden left in 02. Mad props to Zemeke last year for being the only non suzuki to win a race.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Yea it's all about what bike your on. All the top guys are so close in ability. They can all ride the bikes to their limit. It's what bike can be pushed the furthest.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I totally agree. MotoGP is probably more so about the equipment than any other motorcycle racing. I just get really bored with ama sbk because either Mladin or Spies is gonna win. I mean they have won the championship every year since hayden left in 02. Mad props to Zemeke last year for being the only non suzuki to win a race.
they also dominated 3-4 years leading up to Hayden winning in '02 as well

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I really think Honda is going to be back on top next year. They are finally getting the bikes worked out and by next year they should be equal to the Ducatis, if not better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts