Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll be graduating this May. I've accepted a position where I am currently a co-op, so I'll be able to save up enough money within the next year to get myself a car that isn't a complete pile like my current vehicle.

Having the motorcycle isn't a factor in this decision. To clarify, I don't care about it being able to tow the bike or a trailer, and I really want a 2 or 4 door (5 door/hatchback is cool too). I want something stick shift, reliable, RWD or AWD. I'm really good at spending money, but if things go well over the next year, my budget for the car could be about $40k. Ideally, I would find what I liked, out the door with TTL, for much less than 40k so I could have money for mods once the warranty runs out.

This doesn't have to be specifically geared towards finding me a car, just post the things you like or dislike based on experiences (or just opinions). Preferably, the comments would all be relevant to cars that most people could reasonably afford.

Cars I Like:
2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
2014 Scion FR-S/Subaru BR-Z
2015 Subaru WRX/STI (base or STI)
2015 Dodge Charger V6

I'm liking the Mustang the more I look at it. I haven't really found anything else exciting on the market yet. The new Focus RS is coming out in 2016, but I could bet that'll be outside my price range. Any other new cars coming out that should be on my radar?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I wont graduate until May this year. And then I have $26k in student loans to worry about first. I just like to think in advance, and fantasize about not having to drive this piece of **** Oldsmobile Alero anymore.

I will be signing my offer letter this week at some point, so I'll know the exact details of the company contribution to my 401k, which I'll be taking full benefit of. I will also be saving up a considerable portion of the total cost of the vehicle. I don't want to have loans that last more than a couple years, if that.

Regardless of my financial situation, and the current car market, I want to know what vehicles people are seeing that makes them go "Yeah, I'd drive the balls off that." Or what cars turned out to be major let downs when compared to their hype? I've heard the Scion FR-S/Sub BR-Z has 2nd gear grinding issues. I'm specifically hoping someone with input on a new ecoboost mustang will chime in, because thats what I'm liking the most.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand the enthusiasm of getting a good career job after you finish school, i was there a few years ago.
My advice is to buy a used car. Let someone else take the initial depreciation, buy something that's 2-5? years old? You'll get a nice clean car, still reliable, and less depreciation.
IF ur stuck on the new car thing, you seem biased towards the new Mustang, i would strongly recommend to wait until they release the new Camaro, it would be a shame to buy a mustang then realize you would have picked the Camaro had you only waited 2 months.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Challenger SRT8!

S2k

MR2 turbo

Impreza WRX

E46 M3

E92 335i

2015(6?) Miata

List can go on.

Side note: Just picked up an E36 328i myself and boy did I forget what having torque feels like after putting around in my Cooper S for a few years.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Challenger SRT8!

S2k

MR2 turbo

Impreza WRX

E46 M3

E92 335i

2015(6?) Miata

List can go on.

Side note: Just picked up an E36 328i myself and boy did I forget what having torque feels like after putting around in my Cooper S for a few years.
Challenger has fake hood vents. Immediately disqualified. :banghead:

Buying any used tuner car (S2K, MR2, etc) that hasn't been modded is like finding a needle in a haystack. Also, I want something turn key, not a project. Most older vehicles start turning into projects pretty quickly. While all of those cars are great vehicles, finding one in the conditions I would require to not be paranoid and have buyer's remorse the first time something went wrong is going to take a long time. But I do have a while, so I'll keep my eyes open.

I do like the looks of the new Miata, but it seems a little bit too small for me. Maybe I'll have to go test drive one.

I understand the enthusiasm of getting a good career job after you finish school, i was there a few years ago.
My advice is to buy a used car. Let someone else take the initial depreciation, buy something that's 2-5? years old? You'll get a nice clean car, still reliable, and less depreciation.
IF ur stuck on the new car thing, you seem biased towards the new Mustang, i would strongly recommend to wait until they release the new Camaro, it would be a shame to buy a mustang then realize you would have picked the Camaro had you only waited 2 months.
See, if I buy a used car cheaper, the amateur mechanic in me is going to want to throw parts at it, because more than likely the warranty will up or almost up by then. And with the way my bike was modified when I got it, I don't trust the redneck ingenuity that people tend to throw at their vehicles in this region. I'm not dead set on a new car, I just don't trust people to maintain their vehicles to the standard I would.

Also, I get your point, but I don't like the new Camaros.

I'll sell you my grand prix for 38k.... that's under your budget!!! :crackup:
Is it at least the GTP model? If it is, I'll take it. I have this image in my head of me rolling real slow across campus, windows down, shades on, speakers maxed out (and obviously blown because GM), pointing and nodding at every female who even remotely glances at my swagmobile. And at every stop sign, I ghost ride the whip, while I do the Lebron powder thing, except with business cards that have nothing on them, aside from one word. "Swag".

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Is it at least the GTP model? If it is, I'll take it. I have this image in my head of me rolling real slow across campus, windows down, shades on, speakers maxed out (and obviously blown because GM), pointing and nodding at every female who even remotely glances at my swagmobile. And at every stop sign, I ghost ride the whip, while I do the Lebron powder thing, except with business cards that have nothing on them, aside from one word. "Swag".
Nah... but for that price I'll install a supercharger for you lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Look into the new Fiesta ST coming to the states. It should be here by the time you're ready to buy. Turbo, M6, AWD. Going to be a winner.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Go lease a new Scion FRS. Then in 3 years when you're making more money you can get a new car without having to worry at all about the depreciation of the car. Or if the car is worth more than the guaranteed future value that they gave you at purchase and you love the car just finance the rest of whats owed and buy it. But honestly in 3 years who knows, we could very easily have cars that get 100 mpg and drive themselves. The way technology is advancing it doesnt make sense to buy a car anymore. The typical loan term is 5 years and people are trading in their cars every 3 years and eating that cost anyways.

·
Maynard
7,084 Posts
MR2 turbo
Yep.

Buying any used tuner car (S2K, MR2, etc) that hasn't been modded is like finding a needle in a haystack. Also, I want something turn key, not a project. Most older vehicles start turning into projects pretty quickly
My 93 turbo had light mods done to it. Boost controller and a trust pipe exhaust coupled with a short ram filter. That's it. And I got it for $6750, it had 97k when I got it. I'd rather spend $7k on a car that's more fun and cooler than a generic Mustang for more than quadruple the amount. That's just me though. I love this thing and won't ever get rid of it, it's a nice car and I get compliments all the time... even from lifted truck owners and muscle car guys.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I don't know anything about your financial situation and you've given no info so im saying the following assuming you're of average college graduate age making average college graduate money:

Unless you're spending tons of money on your current car to keep it running, dont get a new car. Like others have said, buy used only if you need a car.

Sure its fun graduate and have a job where you're finally making decent money but if you instantly upgrade the rest of your life, that new money doesnt go as far.

What new graduates fail to realize is if they continue to live their 18-24k/yr lifestyle while making 40k+/yr they are in a much better position down the road than someone who graduates and gets a nicer place, a better car, and some gadgets they've been wanting.

Graduate, create an emergency fund, make contributions to your companies 401k, get some investments going, and start paying off your debts.

If you're making serious cash because you're graduating with a STEM degree, what i said is still true but can also be ignored since you're now living life on easy mode.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I don't know anything about your financial situation and you've given no info so im saying the following assuming you're of average college graduate age making average college graduate money:

Unless you're spending tons of money on your current car to keep it running, dont get a new car. Like others have said, buy used only if you need a car.

Sure its fun graduate and have a job where you're finally making decent money but if you instantly upgrade the rest of your life, that new money doesnt go as far.

What new graduates fail to realize is if they continue to live their 18-24k/yr lifestyle while making 40k+/yr they are in a much better position down the road than someone who graduates and gets a nicer place, a better car, and some gadgets they've been wanting.

Graduate, create an emergency fund, make contributions to your companies 401k, get some investments going, and start paying off your debts.

If you're making serious cash because you're graduating with a STEM degree, what i said is still true but can also be ignored since you're now living life on easy mode.
+1, interest can really add up.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Buddy of mine bought a brand new 14 Wrx otd for around 26k I believe. Another friend just bought a brand new ecoboost mustang and loves it so far. (Only has a couple hundreds miles on it, so I'm sure he's still a little bias). If you are going to buy new I would wait until around August. That's typically when the best deals are to be had because there trying to push out old stock off the lot to make new for the new model year and they have pretty good incentives.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

+1, interest can really add up.
Thanks for the life advice. I understand all of that already, and I said I was going to pay off my debts and start the 401k. I'm looking for insight on cars though.

My current car is an Oldsmobile Alero that will bleed me dry if I let it. So yes, a car is a priority for me. Not looking for a project car, not looking to "get lucky" buying used.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Thanks for the life advice. I understand all of that already, and I said I was going to pay off my debts and start the 401k. I'm looking for insight on cars though.

My current car is an Oldsmobile Alero that will bleed me dry if I let it. So yes, a car is a priority for me. Not looking for a project car, not looking to "get lucky" buying used.

I can see why changing the car is a priority!!! Hahahahaha

Good luck with the pursue, I have to agree with most of the guys here... Too much money... But hey!, its your money... If you can afford the cars you listed go for any of them..

I would go for the Subaru.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts