Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so a little info about me, I`m 19 and a college student and have gone to community college for the last two years and will be commute on to GMU in the fall:) Parking is a huge problem at GMU and think a motorcycle may help. My commute will be about 15 miles each way, 10 or so on back roads and about 5 on a highway. I live with my dad and sister who both have cars that i use whenever they arnt (if its not Monday-Friday 8-5 or Saturday night, Ill have access to at least one car.)

I currently have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 with about 140,000 miles. I`ve saved up about $6,000 and think i could get between 4000-5000 for the truck if i do decide to sell it.

Should I:
1) Buy a 2007-2008 Honda CBR600RR and keep the truck.
(I`m worried about the maintenance cost of up-keeping two vehicles, 8 and 10 years old)

OR OR OR

2) Sell the truck and buy a brand new 2015 Honda CBR600RR.
(Local dealership has brand new 2015 CBR600RR`s on sale for $8500 out the door)

Thank You for the help

·
Registered
433 Posts
keep the truck and buy the 07. i've never bought anything brand new and probably never will. thats just me though, and im pretty handy so i do almost all work myself unless i physically cannot. the cost of keeping up an 07 cbr will probably not be high at all, as long as it hasnt been whoopd on. my advice is bring someone knowledgeable with you when you look if buying private

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
For your age and situation I would go with:
3) keep the truck and buy a used Ninja 300 for $2K-$2.5K and another $1K or so for quality gear. Spend the next couple years learning to ride it while you finish college. Then, when you get a good job, upgrade to a super sport and enjoy the fruits of your labors!
Not trying to be a downer or anything, but there are numerous threads here explaining why a supersport isn't a good beginner bike. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
233 Posts
Trying to justify a supersport purchase with any practical reason is a mistake. It will only replace the parking issue with completely new problems that are likely more of a pita to deal with. Like leaving a brand new SS unattended around a bunch of college kids, that would drive me insane. I rode my new bike to work exactly twice and that was enough. Both times sucked because I was so paranoid that someone was going to look at it wrong or try to sit on it...and I worked with mature adults.

Any brand new bike is a bad idea for a beginner anyway. It's like this guy I used to work with, he always talked about how he was going to buy a brand new 848 streetfighter for his first bike. I knew he could afford it because I knew what he made, but I continually told him it was a mistake. He ended up taking my advice and buying a used R6, lowsided it 2 weeks later and has never touched a bike since. That R6 is my trackbike now, I guess it worked out for me. ha

·
Registered
862 Posts
When I used to be a student over at UMD College Park, there were quite a good amount of people with motorcycles. Campus security and local PD weren't too thrilled when the owners would take up whole parking spaces for cars and some even went as far as taking up spots designated for bicycles and scooters (the ones with the metal bars to tether to). Some were overturned by kids and there was a general aura of pissiness towards motorcycles. Even against those that found little unused slots just large enough to fit a motorcycle.

If your main concerns are parking and commuting, think about grabbing a cheapo scooter to putt around on. That is, if you can avoid getting on the highways. Those can be had in the area starting at about 500 bucks and only require a photo ID to operate on public roads as long as the displacement is 50cc and under.

Certainly not the coolest mode of transport for students, but the practicality is unparalleled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two good points i didn't think to cover. I`ve ridden quite a bit. I rode my brothers ninja 250R for six months before having enough for the truck, have ridden my dads road king, and my friends R6 a number of times, witch should lower my insurance costs and leaves me (three years with the licence). Depending on the year we get anywhere from no snow at all to a couple of feet, in addition to my dads and sisters cars, and a bus that would drop me off about a mile away from school.

So winter weather and ability arn`t major concerns.

My truck gets about 10 MPG city and 15 Highway, not a problem now with gas under $2.00 a gallon, but when it returns to over $4.00 it could be a major problem and would make the truck impossible to sell. I got my breaks done last Thursday and it was over $600. Lastly the guy who own the truck before me upgraded the rims and tires, it`ll run me about $1900 to replace them. 60% of the tread remains but any further then that will start to impact the how easy it is to resell. Plus it is 10 years old now, in the next year or two a least a couple of things will have to be replaced.

I`m just scared of getting stuck with two money pits when i could have a brand new bike with and the financial security of knowing it wont breaking down on me any time soon.

I lied.... Three things, not two:) I figure this will come up so ill mention it now. I got insurance quotes from my current insurance company in addition to several other and know exactly what that will cost me. I can afford it without problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would go with option #1.

1. Buy Used - I've bought used bikes, and new bikes. I regret buying new, and now I will always buy used. Just the "fact" that the bike is "new" is going to make the cost jump a considerable amount. Waste of money?

2. Don't sell your truck - In my opinion, having a motorcycle as your only option for transportation is not a safe place to be. Life happens, and it's great to have a second form of transportation

3. What cc? - I believe buying a 250-300cc bike is a decent option if you don't have a far commute. It can become a chore, riding long on the freeway on smaller cc bikes. But yes, great learning bike!

Looks like you'll need to weigh your options!

Good luck buddy! :grin2:

·
Registered
433 Posts
I`m just scared of getting stuck with two money pits when i could have a brand new bike with and the financial security of knowing it wont breaking down on me any time soon.

like i said, as long as you take your time in your search for a bike, it will not be a money pit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
like i said, as long as you take your time in your search for a bike, it will not be a money pit
But if i get a nice 2008 CBR600RR with 5000 Miles and in good shape I`m looking at 5500-6000 and i went to the local dealership and got them down to 8500 out the door. With the resale vale so high, it has me asking if extra $2500 or $3000 is worth it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Bikes ARE money pits. You'll need gear, a stand, chain lube, tool set, another stand, slipon, bar ends, shorty levers.....I'm telling you the list never stops. I swore I would never mod my bikes before I got one; then I got one.

I'd keep the truck and buy a used bike even one with lower CC like a 300 as mentioned by someone else before. If you want to know what you are getting into, especially at your age, check on insurance rates. Get a few quotes on like a new supersport vs a 6-8 year old one that at least on the Honda has identical performance. Then check on a 300 cc bike for comparison. People overlook insurance when shopping which is a huge mistake IMO.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
^^^^ This ^^^^
X2, Plus what if you have to move something, or get grocery's? What if you had a crash, and broke a bone, or was just injured where you couldn't ride. I wouldn't want to be that guy bummings ride from people.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats on getting out of NVCC and into GMU! Most people get stuck at NOVA for all eternity lol.

Keep the truck for sure and buy a used bike, 07/08 CBR or not. Life happens, and for some reason or another you will be needing a cager. Weather here is random as you know so you may not want to ride some days when its 10F-40F degrees out, I certainly don't.

I personally had the 07 CBR around NOVA and DC, and I ended up selling it after 5 months. Commuting on it is not fun. Simple as that for me. My commute was mainly on RT66 during peak hours, so the position of a supersport did me no favors and made it more uncomfortable. Revaluate and think hard if you want a CBR because it looks like sex on two wheels, or if you would fare better on a more upright bike. You mentioned riding a 250R/300 for some time, the body position on that is nowhere near the position on the CBR.

I know the feeling you have wanting the super sexy sport bike. I still get it from time to time and drool over pics of the CBR I had :grin2:

I currently own a FZ07 and love it for commuting and leisure riding.

If you do end up buying a bike, buy used! Don't spend between $3-6k more on a brand new bike that has not changed much since 07.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Bikes are a money pit regardless of their condition. Oil, coolant, chain and sprockets, brake pads and fluid, and tires are the most common maintenance items. And that is before you get bit by the mod bug. I bought my 03 used with <20k miles/3 previous owners and it has been nothing but reliable despite the guy lying about it being down.

If you buy a new one and mess up the OEM fairings (or worse, someone else does it while you're not around the bike) you'll be mad about it for sure. Replacement OEM fairings or aftermarket replacements will be in your future. I also wouldn't buy a new bike and leave it outside without a cover and/or disc lock for security.

Buy used, keep it in good condition until you're out of school and then start modding it to your liking. Just be smart about your purchase. Let the bike idle up to temp and up to 220F for the fan to kick on (make sure it cools efficiently), rev it a few good times, observe how the previous owner maintained it (chain wax around the sprockets, chain/sprocket/brake pad/brake rotor condition and life, oil and fluid condition, throttle/clutch cable condition), check for grinding on any hard parts that would be from a crash the owner may/may not be denying, bent swingarm spools/mounts, check if fairings are OEM or not.

Edit: oh ya, make sure they haven't hacked the OEM wiring harness to hell for some ricey LEDs or crappy eBay turn signals that didn't come with plugs like the PO did to mine.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you want to know what you are getting into, especially at your age, check on insurance rates. Get a few quotes on like a new supersport vs a 6-8 year old one that at least on the Honda has identical performance. Then check on a 300 cc bike for comparison. People overlook insurance when shopping which is a huge mistake IMO.
This is the best advice in this thread.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Bikes ARE money pits. You'll need gear, a stand, chain lube, tool set, another stand, slipon, bar ends, shorty levers.....I'm telling you the list never stops. I swore I would never mod my bikes before I got one; then I got one.
I disagree. Bikes CAN be money pits. And usually not so much the bike as the rider. I'll admit I'm guilty of this, sometimes i look at all the money I've put into this lifestyle and wonder if I'm going overboard. But it doesn't have to be that way. With a solid bike decent gear and some general mechanical knowledge it can be pretty affordable. Most of us here only spend as much as we do because we can and want to.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts