Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Did you have your CF clear coated prior to installation on your bike?

• Yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For people who have bought Carbon Fiber parts for your bikes, did you have it clear coated or did you install it as is on the bike?

I took my belly pan to a local paint shop today and he actually recommends that I do not have it cleared. He said that the gel coat that is currently on there is more durable than clear is and if I would add clear I would just run the risk of chipping in the clear from rocks etc.. I (myself) had always though that clear offered a layer of protection and that it would prevent the carbon from yellowing, am I wrong?

Could any shed some light on this please?

Thank You.

Jason

Ps. Don’t forget to take the poll.

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess Carbon Fiber does not command much attention here...

Jason

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
I just got some parts from www.Redracingparts.com for Miss O'Seven
and i did not get any clear added to them they looked awesome straight
from the box so i installed them as is

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think that most ppl just install them as is. My question though is can you cut and buff the gel coat to get more shine from it?

·
Banned
3,687 Posts
most of the carbon fiber I have had even being akrapovic, was not up to my OCD perfection. I wet sanded all my parts then had 2 layers of DuPont clear sprayed. That is why my c/f is so smooth and orange peel Free.

·
07 Carbon Fiber King
288 Posts
With the correct resin carbon wont yellow. My bike is all carbon now and it had imperfection and runs so I wet sanded it and it has 2 coats of clear with gold pearl.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
not only that but Clear coat isnt going to prevent from the sun. it's the resin they use when they make it. But i don't think u REALLY need to add more.

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not only that but Clear coat isnt going to prevent from the sun. it's the resin they use when they make it. But i don't think u REALLY need to add more.
Most clear coat has UV protection.

Jason

·
Registered
287 Posts
most of the carbon fiber I have had even being akrapovic, was not up to my OCD perfection. I wet sanded all my parts then had 2 layers of DuPont clear sprayed. That is why my c/f is so smooth and orange peel Free.
Can we get some pics of your carbon? I bet it looks great.

·
C.F.A. member / whore
1,693 Posts
i never thought about doing that, my heel guards are scratched a bit i might wet sand and put a clear coat on em. i wanna see pics too Doc

·
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
that is why u ghave to b careful when u buy cf and who from. cuz if they use a cheap resin or a certain kind i think it will not prevent the yellowing of the cf from the sun

1 - 13 of 13 Posts