Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen several people post about carrying laptops to work/school on thier bikes. Do you just use a regular backback or is there a good out out there designed for laptops? I started a new job this week and was a little annoyed to find out I need to carry a laptop between a few locations.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
dam i would totaly belly dive if i had a 3k camera in my bag and a laptop and went down.

I would take your laptop to big 5 or someplace with a wide variety of backpacks and get one that has a very slim compartment for the laptop. or if you already have a protective case for the laptop i would put it in that and then into the backpack for extra protection.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Check these guys out...
http://www.sfbags.com
They make some really nice looking sturdy stuff.
I have the Laptop Sleeve and then bungie it to the pillion seat.

its pretty secure and then I dont need to have that weight on my
shoulders. I also use a lumbar pack I like it better for riding over a
back pack. Frees up your arms.
Mountainsmith makes a nice one. Fits my ThinkPad perfectly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Some of my friends have specialty backpacks for transporting laptops, I on the other hand have the same backpack I used in high school many years ago. It has two compartments on it. I have a protective padded sleeve that I put the laptop then put it in its own compartment. It works out very well, and I see no need to get an expensive backpack for this purpose.

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I first got my laptop I was all gung-ho on getting a "laptop backpack" too because my friends had them, but I really think it's a waste of money. I ended up just using my same backpack from high school and buying a neoprene padded case for about $15. I have a Vaio so I bought the case directly from Sony. I felt better going this route rather than dishin' out the extra $50 or so for a "laptop backpack."

·
Registered
659 Posts
gibssa1 said:
Check out Axio backpacks. They aren't the cheapest, but they're made to protect things like laptops.

Yeah check out the Axio Fuse, it cost's between $87.00-$99.00 and is sleek enough to carry around for work. The Axio swift is another option but the plastic outershell may be to gaudy for work.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I don't like to have anything on my back when I ride. Just my opinion, if I go down I do not want something else to jack me up. I have one of these http://www.luggagelocker.com/luggage-laptop-locker.htm and other things from them. It works really good and I do not have to worry about anything on my back. They cost a bit at first but when you have the base you can just buy the associated packs alot cheaper.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Luggage locker.com makes lap top carring cases for our bikes. They are alittle spendy but its well worth the money to make sure your lap top is safe.

·
Registered
92 Posts
When I bought my laptop I bought this bag from Best Buy. It has a padded back and also has these stretch points in the shoulder straps that act as shock absorbers. The only thing I don't know is if it is water proof. I can say that I have rode in the rain with it for brief periods (no more then 20 minutes) and not had a problem. This bag has plenty of extra storage space and works great for me being a college student. I have a 20 - 30 minute commute and I needed something that would hold text books and a laptop comfortably. This definitely did the trick.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies. Gives me some places to start checking.

As far as going down and wrecking the laptop... if I go down, I think the laptop is the last thing Im going to worry about... plus, it belongs to work so I really dont care :toothy6:.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ride to school with my laptop in my backpack routinely. It is a constant source of stress for me. I continually worry about going down with that big ass thing on my back. My concern is, even with a jacket on, the laptop will be solid enough to fracture my spine if I land wrong. Nightmare situation. Most likely this isn't something I should focus on, but it is something I think about almost every day. Plus it is considerable extra weight.

Oh, and I have that Swiss Gear backpack. It's a monster. the thing is gigantic. Almost too big, but it will pad your laptop nicely. I now use a Jansport I picked up at Sam's Club. It's not made for laptops, but mine fits nicely in a separate compartment that seems to keep it relatively safe. Like has been said before, if you go down, the laptop will probably be the least of your concerns. Just be aware that if you DO go down, you WILL have a broken laptop unless you have incredible luck (in which case you should go buy a lottery ticket ASAP).

Sorry I don't have a good resolution for you, I still have to find one myself.

·
Registered
688 Posts
i use my northface backpack that has a laptop compartment for it. it wasnt the cheapest but its pretty good quality.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Shigs said:
When I bought my laptop I bought this bag from Best Buy. It has a padded back and also has these stretch points in the shoulder straps that act as shock absorbers. The only thing I don't know is if it is water proof. I can say that I have rode in the rain with it for brief periods (no more then 20 minutes) and not had a problem. This bag has plenty of extra storage space and works great for me being a college student. I have a 20 - 30 minute commute and I needed something that would hold text books and a laptop comfortably. This definitely did the trick.

I have that same bag, but am open to better, slimmer options.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts