Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havin trouble with bringing stuff with me. Minimal stuff, but stuff I need. I already bought a pack from wally world and it sucked arse. Zippers roke after 2nd pull. I only have about $35 to spend on whatever gear/pack I need, so these $150+ packs are out of the question. I have a cargo net and a small (like a 1ft tall, 1ft wide) pack to hold me over for now.

One problem I'm facing is I need to be able to carry things along with a bike cover. I park my bike at work and it's exposed to the elements for 9hrs a day. If it rains I can't park it anywhere under cover, so the cover needs to come with me everywhere. I'd like to make it somewhat convenient so I don't have to fold the thing up net every time and undo this and tie that and etc etc. Any tips on carrying stuff with you on your bike and the like would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hrmm... Yeas I guess I could put up with packing and unpacking, tying down and untying, all that jazz until I save the $$$. Problem is I JUST found out yesterday I'm gonna need a fork seal replacement done asap. The #$%$ who had the bike before me musta thought it was really cool to do wheelies and slam down or whatever, b/c my seal's destroyed. So there's at/around $150 I have to [email protected] out somehow.

For this thread I'm kinda lookin for people's experiences or general tips on carrying a small load and a big bike cover.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you can save up and need a pack that will hold a lot, look into the military backpacks, they are very durable water resistant and can hold lots of stuff. I have this for long trips

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=16059&TabID=1287&CatID=1288
In black but a little different, I do not think that they make my model anymore.

This is in your price range, only $7 you can get a few.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9719980&sourceid=1500000000000003260430&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9719980

Ok seriously if you are on a really tight budget this would work.

http://www.promopeddler.com/07-01/polyester-drawstring-backpack-measures-qqp408942.htm

When I went from Detroit to DC I used my Mil Backpack and used one of these as well. I put my bike lock in it and some heavier stuff. Having a heavy backpack will take some life out of you on the ride. I then strapped it down to my tail very tight. The cover you can fold and then roll up and put that on the back as well.

·
Registered
702 Posts
+1 for military backpacks. I've had an old black rucksack for about 10-12 years, that has been used for everything from hiking trips to rock climbing to regular backpack, as a duffle bag strapped on to the back of my bike, etc. It was like $30-40 new.

How big is your cover? I've seen people use fannie packs as tail bags before. Buy a cheap fannie pack, then loop the part that goes around your waist down under your seat, cinch it down tight, and you're good to go. Doesn't even look half bad.

·
The Asian Persuasion
28,564 Posts
I currently use a skateboarding book bag that has a couple of straps. Carry laptop, my H/K and a few shirts then I put shoes and other stuff on the back with a small cargo net.

It's true that a heavy load/bookbag wears you out though!

·
Registered
475 Posts
i use my bike to go to school and wat i did was take my regular jansport backpack and my cargo net and a bungee cord and put the back pack on the rearseat and put the cargo net over it and strap it down then i took the bungee cord and put it on the pass peg then looped it around the top handle of my bookbag and then to the other pass peg, i used to keep my laptop textbooks, notebooks, a sweater and couple of other little things

·
Registered
696 Posts
My pack is somewhat out of your price range, the only other thing I can think of is a regular back pack. I just dont feel comfortable with a back pack on in case I go down. Worried if I fall on my back the pack could do alot more damage to my spine with it on.
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=255&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=SUL_559-0000&tier2=55
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=255&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=FTL_CAR022_G&tier2=3094
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=255&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=FTL_CAR023_G&tier2=3094

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just a suggestion but ditch the bike cover. That would save you tons of space. I doubt the bike will melt if it gets rained on. When I ride to work it's outside in the sun, no problems whatsoever and the occasional rain which again no problem. Only hassle is cleaning it since it gets dirtier faster.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Keep the bike cover, invest in a nice tankbag. I see the point of the bike cover(it keeps people from sitting on it, and less rust). I got the tourmaster tb-12 tankbag and it is great. You just have to get the strap model. My next purchase is the Axio hardpack from cyclesector.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
My $15.00 Walmart back pack works great for me, did you overstuff the bag? That might be why it broke. Do you have a place to put the cover at work, your locker or desk.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, thanks for all the great feedback! Much appreciated. Here's some info:

Yes, I used to own an AWOL bag when I was overseas. Had it for 5 years. It was by far the best pack I've ever owned, and well worth the $99.

I won't be ditching my cover. As I said, 5 days a week AND it being parked at my house: there's no cover at either. A bike cover is rather a neccessity for me.

I can't use a tank bag unless I mod my tank cover for more permeability. Tank bags just slide right off my tank.

I didn't overstuff it; it was just a crappy bag. You could tell the zipper was flimsy. In life, you get what you pay for.

In the end, I went to Academy Sports last night and bought a backpack. Mine's black tho, but same bag. It has good straps, fits snug, and has plenty of room. Doesn't look all that bulky either. As if I'm worried about looking sleek, heh. So far this bag's been nice. I reccomend it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the great feedback! Much appreciated. Here's some info:

I won't be ditching my cover. As I said, 5 days a week AND it being parked at my house: there's no cover at either. A bike cover is rather a neccessity for me.

I can't use a tank bag unless I mod my tank cover for more permeability. Tank bags just slide right off my tank.
Glad you found a bag, but just for reference, I have a 2008 CBR600RR like most here and I use the tank bag that I talked about. It straps to 3 points and wont move at all. www.tourmaster.com or google tour master tb12

·
Registered
570 Posts
Havin trouble with bringing stuff with me. Minimal stuff, but stuff I need. I already bought a pack from wally world and it sucked arse. Zippers roke after 2nd pull. I only have about $35 to spend on whatever gear/pack I need, so these $150+ packs are out of the question. I have a cargo net and a small (like a 1ft tall, 1ft wide) pack to hold me over for now.

One problem I'm facing is I need to be able to carry things along with a bike cover. I park my bike at work and it's exposed to the elements for 9hrs a day. If it rains I can't park it anywhere under cover, so the cover needs to come with me everywhere. I'd like to make it somewhat convenient so I don't have to fold the thing up net every time and undo this and tie that and etc etc. Any tips on carrying stuff with you on your bike and the like would be greatly appreciated.
I like to use something called Duct tape. I also struggled with a similar problem with the zips etc, and no matter what I tried the bags just went to pot. But I ended up buying a bag that has clips, that clip over the bag, moreover what I tend to do is wear a big shirt/hoodie over my jacket and backpack to brace it. It might look a bit crazy, but it helps.

In reference to carrying with an ENTIRE bike cover, why don't you just leave one at work?

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Personally, I would've sold the bike cover and bought a nice backpack. It's a bike, not a Ferrari.
It's a Ferrari to me......:all_cohol

And it's not much to as for both. Now I have a bag and I bring the cover with. As I sid, I'd rather not leave my bike out in the elements 9 hours a day, 5 days a week NOT including time at home in the drive. It's been very rainy here the past month or more. I like taking care of my bike. Pulloing off and carrying a cover around doesn't bother me one bit, as long as I have a way to carry it. Now I do. And it carries all I need. I really reccomend the bag I bought.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts