Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead: hey, any ideas where to get the castle nut sockets or have any creative ideas how to get them off?besides the good old screw driver and a hammer idea. maybe someones selling a tool for it?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
All you have to do for a castle nut is take the cotter pin out and put a socket on it just like any other nut

Are you talking about the triple tree nut?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Castle nuts have cotter pins. Did you take that out already? If so, you should be able to take it off like a ol' fashioned nut.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has no pins casstle nuts are the ones that hold the engine and the swingarm it need a special socket tried it the old fashion way but its just ruining the nut and and its not moving nowhere. Wanna get my swingarm powder coated but cant get get around the castle nut. Made a home made one just by cutting the normal socket out but it broke off. :(

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

T

·
0 Posts
Those are just the spacers threaded into the frame for the engine and swingarm mounts. just go to the opposite side of the bike of the "castle" nut and remove the nut. The long bolt that is holding the swingarm will then push out. If you want to go one step further and remove those "castle" nuts, which are the spacers, they need to be threaded into the frame using the head of the long bolt, with the swingarm removed.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are just the spacers threaded into the frame for the engine and swingarm mounts. just go to the opposite side of the bike of the "castle" nut and remove the nut. The long bolt that is holding the swingarm will then push out. If you want to go one step further and remove those "castle" nuts, which are the spacers, they need to be threaded into the frame using the head of the long bolt, with the swingarm removed.
The long screw wont unscrew the space nut has a opposite thread that locks the long bolt. Trying to remove the engine screw just tightens the castle not even more. The spacer/castle nut is the to tighten the bolt so it wouldnt unscrew without removing the spacer u cannot pull out the bolt. Worked on a lot of bikes before but so far honda is the only ones thats giving me problems.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Get piece of DOM or even shrew tubing that is the proper diameter. Cut it down to about 6" (or less.. your choice) and then use a angle grinder with a cutting disk to notch that biiiatch to fit the Nut. Once you get to that point you can go one of three ways.. punch a hole through the other end of the tubing and run a rod through it so you can put some torqe into it or if you have a welder you can fishmouth the other end and burn in another piece to make a T-handle.

the only fall back is the lack of being able to torqe it to spec.. the other option is to burn in a bolt on the end and then you can use your ratchets and torqe wrench.

·
Registered
760 Posts
It has no pins casstle nuts are the ones that hold the engine and the swingarm it need a special socket tried it the old fashion way but its just ruining the nut and and its not moving nowhere. Wanna get my swingarm powder coated but cant get get around the castle nut. Made a home made one just by cutting the normal socket out but it broke off. :(

Anything that is Casted ... can not be modified/bent-then straightened.. it will end in catosrophic failures. (breaks)

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get piece of DOM or even shrew tubing that is the proper diameter. Cut it down to about 6" (or less.. your choice) and then use a angle grinder with a cutting disk to notch that biiiatch to fit the Nut. Once you get to that point you can go one of three ways.. punch a hole through the other end of the tubing and run a rod through it so you can put some torqe into it or if you have a welder you can fishmouth the other end and burn in another piece to make a T-handle.

the only fall back is the lack of being able to torqe it to spec.. the other option is to burn in a bolt on the end and then you can use your ratchets and torqe wrench.
thats what im planing to do next.. called a local dealer they want $50 for one socket and $50for the other. :cursin:

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts