Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read on some peoples mods that they gut these out is that a good idea would it mess with the bikes fuel management? if it has cats i assume it has o2 sensors.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its under the lower fairing

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
xp1ik05 said:
stupid question but where is the cat on a bike??? would a full exhause already eliminate this??? i have a slip on but i dont see where it would be....
Only CA bikes have a cat. You have nothing to worry about. And yes, a full system would eliminate this.

·
Registered
109 Posts
um no... not only CA bikes have cats. CA bikes may have more than one cat, but this i cannot confirm.

my 06 CO bike had one, as has every other rr i have seen. on the 05-06(i believe) the cat is right by the midpipe connection, in fact if you take a flashlight and look down the pipe(with midpipe off) you can clearly see it

now for benifits... i really don't think there are any. the cat is really well designed for high flow, i can't see any benifits from knocking it out other than for tuning.

but you can search on this and find TONS of info. search for gutting, cat, converter, etc. its been argued and thought about a lot

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
tek said:
um no... not only CA bikes have cats. CA bikes may have more than one cat, but this i cannot confirm.

my 06 CO bike had one, as has every other rr i have seen. on the 05-06(i believe) the cat is right by the midpipe connection, in fact if you take a flashlight and look down the pipe(with midpipe off) you can clearly see it

now for benifits... i really don't think there are any. the cat is really well designed for high flow, i can't see any benifits from knocking it out other than for tuning.

but you can search on this and find TONS of info. search for gutting, cat, converter, etc. its been argued and thought about a lot
We need to clarify some things here. The general concensus is that all 05+ models have cats, CA or not. The 03-04 non-CA models have a buldge in the collector(2 actually) which is a resonator. If it indeed was a cat, you would have an O2 sensor for closed-loop feedback which you dont! The buldge on CA models is a pre-converter which is used to start functioning(reduce emissions) during the warm-up period, as it's smaller in size therefore heats up quicker. The 2nd purpose is to pre-heat the exhaust gases so that the main converter reaches operating temperature sooner. The point, you wouldn't have one without the other.

In addition, a back-to-back dyno has been tested with and without the cat. The end result was different fuel maps and gains throughout various areas on the powerband. :icon_salu

·
Registered
41 Posts
i wonder how much power with my pc3 i would gain hrmmmmm

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
sure, but that wouldnt probably do to much for u. usually u want to make sure u remap things to get the most out of it. that means getting a PC. i dont have one yet :( the O2 sensor is just what it sounds like... an oxygen sensor.. getting a slipon wont change much other than sound.. if your really concerned with it, save up and go full exhuast. im gonna wait a while until i do that myself. there are other things i want first :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Hmmmm.....When I replaced the full exhaust system on my 2006 CBR600RR (Texas) I found no O2 sensor, only the CAT.
It would have been pretty obvious if it had one (no O2 wire to disconnect to drop the headers)
I assumed the O2 sensor was only on California bikes.

There is a VERY noticeable performance improvement with a full exhaust & PC3 mapped for the exhaust system. Bike really comes alive !

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
The PC is what's making the difference. Not the removal of the CAT. Removing the CAT doesn't increase airflow or performance. It only increases the emissions to the enviroment.

You don't have to have O2 sensors to have a CAT installed. The 05-06 49 state bikes have a CAT installed in the midpipe with no O2 sensor. The 03-04 49 state bikes don't have a CAT. The ONLY models with O2 sensors are the CA and Euro bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We need to clarify some things here. The general concensus is that all 05+ models have cats, CA or not. The 03-04 non-CA models have a buldge in the collector(2 actually) which is a resonator. If it indeed was a cat, you would have an O2 sensor for closed-loop feedback which you dont! The buldge on CA models is a pre-converter which is used to start functioning(reduce emissions) during the warm-up period, as it's smaller in size therefore heats up quicker. The 2nd purpose is to pre-heat the exhaust gases so that the main converter reaches operating temperature sooner. The point, you wouldn't have one without the other.

In addition, a back-to-back dyno has been tested with and without the cat. The end result was different fuel maps and gains throughout various areas on the powerband. :icon_salu
I bought my 04 someone cut all the oem exhaust out to the header. How can I replace all this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts