Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 2 have nothing to do with each other.. just 2 seperate stories...

first... we went up to Lake George for Ameriade.. big motorcycle rally.. about 50,000 bikes or so.. and a freak T-strom came out of nowhere... really bad rain and lightning... was pretty wicked.. and i got caught right in the middle of it.. it started to rain real light so we hightailed it for a Holliday Inn that is closed down in LG. Its up on a hill hidden in town.. so we headed up there cause its out of business and they still have the drop/off spot under the canopy under the front door. so we headed up there and nobody was there cause only locals know about it.. so we hung out for like 30 minutes and the rain didnt get any less.. so we all decided to head out and go home.. i got suck in the downpour for a good 30 miles... then the rain stopped and we got out of the storm where it was dry.. bike is fine.. no problems.. what an experience to ride in the rain though...

2nd story.. undercover cop.
this was wicked cool..I seen 4 sportbikes put on a flatbed and taken away..
there were 3 of us parked on the side of the road.. my 04 600RR, an 02 GSXR 750 (black/yellow) and an 02 GSXR 600(blue/white). so we are parked there and there are some Harley guys across the road watching the bikes go by..The harley guys are giving the wheelie sign to every sportbike.. and they are doing wheelies for them. so we are sitting there and a blue car pulls up in the same parking lot we are in.. Its a blue Impala, undercover Sheriff.. he waits there.. awesome undercover car.. solid blue. real wheels on it and he has smoke covers on the headlights and brake lights. tinted windows.. and all.... so he sits there and a sportbike goes by.. 03 GSXR (solid blue) and it does an awesome wheelie.. and the cop sees it, pulls out and nails him.. not sure for what but the bike went up on a flatbed.. so the next bike goes by and does a wheelie as well. bike was a ZX-6R.. and the cop nails him and puts it on a flatbed as well.. he got 4 in all. was actually pretty cool to see though.. i dont know what he was getting on the bikes but it had to of been more than just wheelies.. must of gotten them on suspended licenses, no license or whatever.. cause wheelies arent enought to flatbed a bike away.

im sure you guys will have some mixed emotions though.. but we couldnt help but watch..

these guys have the undercover thing set up perfect... cause a marked car turned around in the same parking lot when the undercover car was sitting there and the marked car didnt even wave or make any gesture that the undercover car was there... perfectly done and executed....

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Seth
i am sorry you got drenched from that rain storm but at the same token glad you got to ride in the rain and get some exp from it i will pm you an article about riding in the rain check it out as far as the cops story i do my best to avoid them

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah.. the rain ride was totally awesome. i actually enjoyed it... i never knew how good the 600RR is in the rain..

but yeah.. it was a great experience...was my first real ride in the rain..sucked though cause i was wearing that blue tinted shield.. made it really dark.. so i flipped it open till the first notch to let some air in and to allow some more light in.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I got caught in a crazy rainstorm on Memorial Day. Like your story it came up quick and I was on the interstate with no overpasses to stop under and no place to pull off. It started raining so bad cars were slowing down to about 15mph with their flashers on, the only thing I could think to do was keep moving faster than traffic as I didn't want someone to come up from behind and not see me in time. Every time I would pass a car I would get in front of them when it was safe to do so, that way I knew noone was coming up too fast. Luckily it only lasted about 15 minutes but I was soaked, when I got off my bike it felt like I gained about 50lbs.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Reckless driving/negligent driving is a towable offense in most places. It's usually a misdemeanor.

Wheelies fall under the reckless driving category.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah... that is actually what i was thinking.. i just didnt see if they were put in the back of the cop car or not.. marked cars were showing up..so i assume they might of been put in the marked cars to be hauled away..

·
Registered
263 Posts
Riding in the rain is messy. I had an F2 for my only vehicle for about a year. I live in TN where the weather can change if the wind blows and I rode that bike in everything but ice on the ground. I lived about an hour from where I worked and worked at night.... man what a diffrence good clothes make. Rain, hot, cold, colder, snow( light and got caught out in it) freaking freezing, rain. You name it, I have more than likely made my way throught it. Always wasn't the smartest thing to do, but I love to ride and that was my only way to and from work. I'm older now, and I hope smarter. Oh yeah, and I try to have a car handy :)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Squids will be squids. And most of them pay for it sooner or later. Doesn't excuse me, I've done dumb things too, but thankfully never around a cop. Getting my bike trailored away, what a horrible thought! I'd be so pissed. I'll bet those Harley riders were loving it too, weren't they?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Rain drops sting at 70 mph! I'm a wuss, I know.

·
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the harley guys really were not doing it to get them busted.. after the first guy got busted they stopped doing wheelie signs to them.. they were just enjoying the entertainment.

·
Why isn't this an option? Why man, why?
2,641 Posts
riding in the rain can quickly get a little crazy if your not careful with the throttle or clutch, especially if there is a half inch of water on the road...

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Riding in the rain with Dunlop 208's is no biggie. Probably upwards of 85% traction still there. I've clutched up second gear wheelies at 60 mph AND shifted to third......all in the pouring rain..... not even scary

208's= awesome wet weather tire
Pirelli track tires in the rain= like riding on ice....dangerous

one word........sillica

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
With my first bike ('93 FZR) I got caught in a rainstorm drivng across the state to start college. The weather report had shown that it'd be clear skies all day... Anyways, if that wasnt enough, it started hailing like mad. At the time, I had no riding gloves, but thankfully a helmet. However, there was definately some serious pain involved in that trip. I couldn't stop because I was in rural ND, there was nowhere to stop. However, it was quite the dilemma, because it was basically like riding on marbles, I could see them accumulating on the road, and I was scared to slow too much and get smoked by a car that could not see me. Luckily God was with me on that one, I don't know how else to explain it, motorcycle tires simply shouldnt be able to hold on that... especially the old battleaxes that were on there.... Ride safe all!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here in College Station if your caught doing a wheelie you get a ticket straight to jail and your bike gets its own ticket to the police impoudment lot. But again, there a lot of idiot sport bike riders here in this college town. Its a rare occasion when I see a sport bike rider with even a helmet and jacket on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts