Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Fairings are possible. You'll have to make custom brackets to bridge 2006 framenl to 2007 fairing mounting points. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Go to bicycle shoppe and look at brackets they have to hold front & rear reflectors on. And look at brackets to hold racks on. These will give you an idea of L, T, U, Z-shaped brackets you'll need to fit 2007 fairings on.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Between my 05 and 08 having the fairings off there's a difference in subframe, gas tank, front fairing stay, intake tube routing, wiring routing, and even the front stand pin for the steering stem is different. I couldn't see how to hang 07 fairings on an 06 without changing everything underneath and even then the frames are different. Unless we're talking race fairings which is a whole different thing.

Fairings are possible. You'll have to make custom brackets to bridge 2006 to 2007 fairing mounting points. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Go to bicycle shoppe and look at brackets they have to hold front & rear reflectors on. And look at brackets to hold racks on. These will give you an idea of L, T, U, Z-shaped brackets you'll need to fit 2007 fairings on.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yes, it's similar process to fitting race-fairings on.

I put 2008+ race fairings on 1988 Ninja 250. Had to cut frame and weld in 6" V-shaped piece of tubing for petcock clearance from newer tank. Every single mounting point on body needed custom bracket underneath it. One end of bracket bolts to frame, other end provided hole for well-nut or had nut welded on for bodywork screw. Basically you create a scaffolding structure in between bodywork and frame. In some lucky spots, bodywork over frame was close to orginal mounting hole and just needed hole drilled in bodywork where there was none.

Here's example of some factory brackets used to mount bottom chin fairing. To mount newer fairings, I made longer and shorter brackets with different twists.

Lower bodywork actually never touched frame anyway, so it's just what shape of bracket was needed to reach out to contact. Race rules needed belly-pan that can contain 2-gallons liquids. So I made necessary L-shaped brackets with 90-degree twist. I just used zip-ties originally before welding nuts to backside of brackets.

I was actually going to mount 2007+ bodywork on my 2005. Had ordered some 10mm chromoly tubing to make brackets. Then super-great deal on 2007 fell into my lap and I picked it up. Took it out to Chuckwalla that very weekend.

To mount newer bodywork on 2006, start with front fairing-stay that locates top of fairing:
Replace 2006

with 2007. Of course... requires custom adapter bracket to join to earlier frame. Can re-use earlier mirrors if you want.

Although I suspect implicit in OP's question is can it be done purely by bolting on parts? If so, no way, needs fabrication requiring cutting metal and welding. Once you can cut metal and weld, types of mods you can do are unlimited.

Reactions: tary preisser
1 - 6 of 6 Posts