Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took the head off my 2006 600rr today because the head gasket was leaking coolant in the cyclinder, but noticed that on what I believe is either the coolant passage or oil passage there is a small chunk of aluminium missing or worn away. I thought maybe its electrolysis erosion or cavitation from running straight water in the bike with water weater. Do you think a new head gasket will solve the problem even with that abnormality present on the head? Or do I need to get it welded and machined? Or just a new head?

I would appreciate some solid mechanical knowledge on this please. Thanks :)

600rr-head-pic1.jpg
600rr-head-pic2.jpg
600rr-head-pic3.jpg
600rr-head-pic4.jpg

·
Registered
718 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to get that all cleaned up to stop the corrosion from spreading, wouldn't hurt to get that spot welded and blended in since it's not its just in from the outside to the water passage, and will help with keeping a good seal. I would do a bench check and look for more areas of corrosion. If you find other severe areas might be time to lay it to rest

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you YG27 for your quick feedback. I found some other areas on the head that were starting to corrode after more visual inspection so I think its time to back it in for that head :( Do you know of anyone selling a head on here? Thanks

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Either buy a good used head or have the corroded areas welded then resurface the cylinder head for flatness. That can still be fixed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts