Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am with State Farm right now, and get charged 360$/year for liability+comprehensive(theft) insurance. For just liability, it is about 150$/year. Granted, I am not in the best financial situation.

Anyways I live in the Midwest, where there is generally little theft compared to California or the warmer states. Is this theft insurance necessary in your opinion? If taken off, I would probably use the saved money to purchase lowjack or an alarm system. I have the bike parked in a locked garage during the school year, and during the summer it sits in my driveway at home in a decent neighborhood.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The chances of your bike getting stolen in those conditions are pretty slim, but it happens a lot. Bikes get stolen from locked garages all the time.

I would never have a bike that has a value of more than 3k, without at minimum, comprehensive.

May I suggest looking at AllState. I had StateFarm for almost 3 years until last month. AllState is saving me tons of money on my new bike.

·
Ain't Even Excited
1,769 Posts
Speaking as someone who has had his bike stolen, I think no matter what you should carry comprehensive if your bike has any value. I was very thankful I did, and it ended up working out better for me in the long run.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
I have my garaged race bikes insured for this very reason. The little money spent a year is well worth knowing its covered in the event of theft/fire/vandalism etc.

IMO you should keep it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
hey if I had pics I'd just show you why, but uh anyways last night I was out for a ride with my father and a friend. My father ended up nailing a deer. He came out pretty ok considering but bike was DOA!. Some things you can't predict, and what would be worse than not only being out crap loads of money for emergency services but also then being without a bike, or way to replace it.

BTW for me with progressive insurance for a 08 ninja,84 V65 Sabre(now reduced to a 600pund paperweight) , and my 09 600RR I pay 55 a month. All full coverage with 5000 medical.Came in handy for me when I hit my deer, and now coming in handy again for my father.

I say keep it !!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone had experience with lojack or alarm systems? Like I said, I am a student and it would help out a lot to get rid of the insurance if possible. Also, I have a 500$ deductible.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I live in a small town in Illinois. No one expects a vehicle theft in my place.

Just today early morning my bike got stolen from my apartment parking lot right outside my door.

I am glad I had full insurance from State Farm. Although, my rate was cheaper than yours. Try to get a lower rate (by changing your car to SF) or try a different company.

With this experience I can say that theft can happen anywhere and its good to have full insurance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts