Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I went to the Bike Show in Greenville, SC. in Feb. 09 and sat on every bike in the place, I feel like the cbr would fit me best for my next motorcycle. And since I really didn't want to shell out major bucks for a new bike, I started searching ebay for a deal on a used one in good condition. There are good bikes out there if you look hard enough, being sold by people that just aren't into them anymore.

So I set out to find a 2007 Honda CBR 600RR, 07 because I really liked the black color scheme.

Photos of the bike brand new at the dealership:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found one on ebay and had the winning bid on May 2 2009. Paid $6200 for it with only 2400 miles. So I hooked my kendon trailer up to the jeep and drove down to West Palm Beach, Florida to pick it up.

It took a 30 hour trip to bring the cbr home, drove down met the guy, loaded the bike up, and drove back (drove all day, all night, and half the next day). Left 7am sat. and got home 2pm sun. I was wore out, I had sleep deprivation. After driving 75-80mph for hours, when I got back in my neighborhood, 55 felt slow like 35. But it was well worth the trip.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The guy I bought it from had the dealership to the first few mods when he bought it new before he even drove it off the lot, things I would have done anyway so at least I didn't have to pay for them (FREEBIES !!!). I think he ended up paying just over $12,000 for it. Real nice guy, sold the cbr to buy a cruiser.

1) 2 Brothers Carbon Fiber Exhaust

2) Flush Mount Front Turn Signals

3) Fender Eliminator Kit with Rear Turn Signals and Bar Brake Light

4) Removed the Rear Reflectors

5) Rear Seat Cowl

I wasn't even into mods until I got the 600, and couldn't wait to change things to make it more my own style.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I painted the mid fairings flat black and took off most of the labels/stickers for a cleaner/stealthier look. Removed the front reflectors, cut the reflectors off the brackets and put the brackets back on.

Installed frame sliders and swingarm spools. I had to cut the lowers cause I went with the cut style frame sliders, but I like the position of them using the main engine bolt, I feel it is the strongest mounting point for them.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Second round of mods.

Did alot of cleaning and painting. Cleaned the rims, chain guard, and everything else that had grease all over it. Painted the heat shields, shield covers, exhaust/mufler, rear subframe, chain guard, and undertail. Then installed frame plugs.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Third round of mods.

Painted the windscreen. Removed the passenger pegs. Then I re-did the whole fender eliminator with a Jardine bracket and original stock tail light. I couldn't believe how the fe by the former owner's stealership was installed, haha, they sucked it up, haha. When I was taking it apart to do my own mod-fab, I couldn't believe how they f-ed up this mod (shocked by the stupidness involved ).

For my custom fender eliminator I used the best parts of the 2 different fe-s and fabricated my own, took about 9 hrs. of thinking-modding-looking at from a distance-cutting-grinding-drilling-taking off-putting back together multiple times til I came up with this as a result.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Next comes the Vortex Racing Rearsets and installed a battery tender quick connect plug. I wanted more adjustabillity, a different style, definitely color, and for STEALTH !!!! They blend right in now, sweet .................. And they look AWESOME !!!!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New mods complete: CBR Gel Grips , Replaced engine cover bolts (now they're black and blend in, stealth style). Put my Stock Windscreen back on and replaced all the shield's bolts/nuts so it'll be easier to take off next time.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
In the process of repainting the cbr subframe amongst other parts while it's dismantled, maybe it'll even look better, we'll have to wait and see. Spent all weekend working on this and only half way done. Got a metal shard stuck in my finger from something I touched on the bike, it was fun (not) trying to cut it out, still hurts.

The mids are being sanded down past primer for repaint, their a bitch, I put too many coats of high temp on last time. Had to go to home depot and get an orbital sander, that paint is tough. Think I'll just buy new ones next time, would be alot less hassle.

Changed the oil/filter while I had the fairings already off. Waiting for coolant I ordered to arrive to up the level there, is low, right at the line. Lubed the chain again, back side still looks rusty but it won't come off, I'll buy a new one eventually. Thinking about changing sprockets too. Maybe when I get new tires.

Installed fork sliders and swingarm sliders, they go right though the axles and cover the axle holes up.

Stealth is the new black.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No More Decals !!! The last of the Honda stickers have been removed (from the tank and belly pan).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I've got the rhinotire coated Dunlops sitting in the garage, I'll be putting them on soon.

Dunlop Qualifier Motorcycle Tires 120/70ZR17 180/55ZR17

Total shipped $310.00, it was a good deal. I'm debating if I should wait until my current tires wear the tread down before putting the new ones on. In any case I won't be caught waiting for tires if I get a flat. I think I'll just wait until I wear the old tires out, besides I've got to take the tires off anyway when I change the chain and sprockets I'm planning on getting.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
you need a few more mods and your done in my opinion, at least for the blacked out look:

get HID projectors, while you have the headlights apart paint the chrome black, take off your grips and put OEM on or aftermarket BLACK ones.. those clear ones stand out sooo much.. thats about it..your bike looks good. nice job

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Put on my new grips, just wasn't happy with the other ones not being black. Ran into a few problems that I had to fix. It's just like me to have to mod a mod. Broke part of the throttle sleeve, it wasn't designed exactly like the stock one, that's why it broke (people and their damn shortcuts), if it would have been designed right, it wouldn't have broke. I modified the grips by using superglue to attach the stock bar ends and used loctite on the bar end screws since they only screw in only a couple turns. Superglue fixed all the problems quite nicely, I hope I never have to take them back off, the throttle cable is superglued to the throttle sleeve. It's the only way I could get it to stay in place without that little piece that broke off.

1 - 20 of 416 Posts