Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im facing issue with Honda CBR600RR 2003 model year.
After leaving the bike sitting outside for 3 weeks the bike won't run. We have been having heavy rainfall during these weeks and I suspect it is the culprit.
Before parking the bike it was running as good as always.

Description:
Bike started right away after the rain I first time started it, it ran idle perfectly approx 1min until it started misfiring and then boggled down completely. Now the bike won't start at all.
When turning the key, I can hear the usual buzz from fuel pump and what seems like click from some of the relays. I can get the bike to run (terribly) while spraying the ram air intake with some kind of starting liquid. Engine will stall after i stop spraying the starting fluid.

What i have tried so far:
-I pumped approx 12 liters (3~ gallons) of suspected fouled gas out of the fuel cap. Tried to get it as empty as possible and poured 9 litres of good gasoline in.
-Cleaned killswitch and it seems to work as expected, when on "run" position the fuel pump primes at off it does not.
-Cranked the engine for overall approx 5minutes, recharged the battery 2 times and also used my car battery as booster while cranking. With and without keeping WOT during the crank attemps.
-Checked all fuses - none are blown.

I'm running out of ideas. My theory is that my gas cap was leaking and it sucked some water during huge rainfall and the gas got contaminated. I replaced the gas and tried cranking several minutes no avail.

Is there anything I should check or could my engine be blown after the bike running the fouled gasoline for while?
Also i think because the bike runs atleast somewhat by using started fluid to intake it must be giving spark and the issue is in the fuel stuck to the lines or something is wrong with the fuel system?
Like said bike ran awesome before parking it and suspecting it to heavy rain.

·
Registered
504 Posts
No, your engine could not be 'blown' from this.

Highly likely rain water got in at the gas cap. Many lose their seal after 10 or so years. Or if you have an aftermarket keyless one they leak right out of the box usually.

Then water sank to the bottom of your tank but was not yet in your fuel system.

Bike started fine until fuel pump started to suck in the water. Water tends to resist combustion :)

Now you need to remove the fuel pump. Drain it completely. Let it sit for a day to be on safe side. Reinstall.

While pump is off spray brake cleaner into your fuel supply hose. This will displace any water and then evaporate.

You could now take your chances and put everything back together.

But to be 100% sure all is back to normal you'd want to pull out the spark plugs and replace them (because you already have them out and they are cheap) or just clean them and make sure they're dry.

Your bike will be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No, your engine could not be 'blown' from this.

Highly likely rain water got in at the gas cap. Many lose their seal after 10 or so years. Or if you have an aftermarket keyless one they leak right out of the box usually.

Then water sank to the bottom of your tank but was not yet in your fuel system.

Bike started fine until fuel pump started to suck in the water. Water tends to resist combustion :)

Now you need to remove the fuel pump. Drain it completely. Let it sit for a day to be on safe side. Reinstall.

While pump is off spray brake cleaner into your fuel supply hose. This will displace any water and then evaporate.

You could now take your chances and put everything back together.

But to be 100% sure all is back to normal you'd want to pull out the spark plugs and replace them (because you already have them out and they are cheap) or just clean them and make sure they're dry.

Your bike will be fine.
Thanks for the hasty reply!

I tried once more doing the good old WOT 5sec crank -> another crank without throttle.
I got the bike to "sputter" like it is almost catching and almost running without the starter spinning the engine - almost.
Then the battery died again and now I have once again drained 2 full batteries by rinsing and repeating.

I think i will try once or twice more with just WOT and normal cranks and then I proceede in checking and cleaning the spark plugs.
Horrible job to do at apartment parking lot after work.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It is possible to work all the water out by repeatedly cranking the motor. Each time the injectors squirt a small amount of into your cylinders so if you do this often enough eventually you get back to gas.

Of course water in the cylinders is not doing the motor or plugs any favors.

On some bikes, like Triumph triples, the fuel pump holds so much internally that it's almost impossible to do this.

Easier and much faster to just take the tank off, remove pump and drain. At least in a garage. In an apartment parking lot without all the right tools at hand this becomes a major chore. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I would also be checking your spark plugs to be sure al, the ”false” starts have not fouled them. You can also check spark at that time as well, you may have a coil going bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is possible to work all the water out by repeatedly cranking the motor. Each time the injectors squirt a small amount of into your cylinders so if you do this often enough eventually you get back to gas.

Of course water in the cylinders is not doing the motor or plugs any favors.

On some bikes, like Triumph triples, the fuel pump holds so much internally that it's almost impossible to do this.

Easier and much faster to just take the tank off, remove pump and drain. At least in a garage. In an apartment parking lot without all the right tools at hand this becomes a major chore. Good luck.
Okay the cleaning of spark plugs didn't actually help that much. Engine started and idled poorly at around 500rpm for like 3 seconds and then shut off. Didn't get it running by repeated cranking either.
I'm quite sure I can siphon the tank empty again and take the fuel pump out, but what is the procedure to actually get the pump emptied and dry? Do I somehow run the pump for couple seconds that it does not spit any more fuel and then let it sit and dry for a while?
All little tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If the pump is still pushing water through the system cleaning the plugs will only have a temporary effect, since they'll get fouled again quickly. It's important that they are dry and clean.

Syphon out as much gas as is practical.

Lift the tank and remove the fuel line.

Connect a hose to the pump nipple or position a container under the pump nipple.

Turn bike on and off a few times. Each time you turn on pump will pressurize and pump out gas. After say a half dozen cycles only fresh gas will remain in pump.

You could have a coil issue if it's still not firing right but that's rare in my experience.

Putting in new plugs is cheap insurance since you can 100% rule out that they are the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the pump is still pushing water through the system cleaning the plugs will only have a temporary effect, since they'll get fouled again quickly. It's important that they are dry and clean.

Syphon out as much gas as is practical.

Lift the tank and remove the fuel line.

Connect a hose to the pump nipple or position a container under the pump nipple.

Turn bike on and off a few times. Each time you turn on pump will pressurize and pump out gas. After say a half dozen cycles only fresh gas will remain in pump.

You could have a coil issue if it's still not firing right but that's rare in my experience.

Putting in new plugs is cheap insurance since you can 100% rule out that they are the problem.
Thank you for the much appreciated advice.
So
1. Syphon as much gas from the gas cap as possible. (Do I fill the tank up with like gallon of gas at this point?)
2. Lift the tank up and release only the banjo(?) connection from the pump/tank nipple
3. Cycle key until nothing (or previously filled new gas) is coming from the said nipple
4. Spray brakecleaner to the banjo connection going towards engine/intake
5. Connect everything up and try to start normaly (Maybe couple power cycles before to pressurise the fuel lines)

So no need to actually take the fuel pump out of the fueltank?

EDIT:
I'm using this video as referrence
, there does not seem to be like nipple coming from the fuelpump?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've never done this on a bike this old. All newer bikes have a nipple on the pump. The older connection is actually easier to deal with and no chance of breaking off the nipple.

Just get out as much gas as possible and make sure what's left is good pure gas.

You can cycle the key or the kill switch. Either will power up the pump and cause gas to run out. If you put the gas in a clear jar you can see the water at the bottom. Looks like snot.

When this first happened taking out the fuel pump would of been the best way to go. As then you can be 100% sure there's no water in it or your tank. Now just cycling the pump should get you to good gas.

If it's available near you there's a product called Heet that bonds water molecules with gas so it will go through the system. Worth adding some. This is only good for small amounts of water, like what you get from condensation inside the gas tank.

Pic of gas I got out of a 600RR tank that sat in the rain for a month with an aftermarket Chinese non locking gas cap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bike is now running and I made 10mile trip to gas station and now to work. Seems to be working excellently!

First I siphoned the gas tank as empty as I could from the gas cap.
Then I lifted the tank to upward position and removed the fuel intake hose.
Turned the key on and off several times to make the fuelpump pump itself dry. Noted that I did not manage to remove all gasoline from the tank since the pump kept pumping and pumping more to my hands. But the gas that came out atleast first couple whirls was very suspicious looking aka not good.
After this I put the thing back together and inserted gallon of fresh gas to tank.
Gave it 1,5 full batteries of worth buzzing the fuelpump and starting attempts - didin't catch or run.

Frustrated I took the whole tank out, removed the fuelpump and shake all gasoline out. Also let the fuelpump dry and ran it once from the ignition.
After this I put it back together, filled with a another gallon of gas. Gave almost 1 full battery worth of cranking and turned the ignition on and off to prime the fuelpump.
It started to give little signs of life like it almost caught, then I gave little bit of brakecleaner to the intakes and then little by little it caught more and more.
Then it ran on its own power with very low rpm until I gave couple twists of throttle and it started idling almost normaly.

Moral of the story - just pull the f*king tank and fuelpump out and dry it and put back together with fresh fuel and give some start spray to intake.

Thank you Bat-1 for all the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts