Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2008 CBR600RR with less than 8000 miles on the clock which has been running fine until Sunday when it started cutting out. Every time it stopped it could be restarted but I went straight home. Checked all of the relays, connections and obvious stuff but all seemed fine. I linked out the side stand switch and tried it the next night. Bike started okay but a mile down the road it cut out again and would start fine but as soon as I put it in gear the engine stopped. Tried a few times and it cut out every time.
Any ideas what the fault could be please?
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I always use the key. I’ve tested the stop switch and it works consistently. Was thinking it could be the tilt switch but I can start the engine just cuts out when you select a gear.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Side stand switch (I see you looked at that, however that’s one thing that can cause this) and clutch pin switch being stuck in. The bike won’t start if it’s in gear and the clutch is out.

Does your neutral light work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
No I always use the key. I’ve tested the stop switch and it works consistently. Was thinking it could be the tilt switch but I can start the engine just cuts out when you select a gear.
Hello John,
There are only three things that can cause the exact symptoms you are describing: tilt sensor, kickstand switch or engine cut-off. The clutch pin switch will only stop the starter from working if you are in gear and the clutch is not pulled, once bike is turned on it doesn't effect normal bike operation. However, the three I mentioned will kill the bike if any is triggered at any time. Only exception I think is with the kickstand if the bike is in neutral but the moment you click into gear it'll kill it (which is exactly what you described so that was my first guess.) Miweber also asked about your neutral light but that wouldn't really matter as it piggybacks off the kickstand switch, both have to be "off" for it to kill bike. You said engine cut off was good, and you "linked out" the kickstand switch, I'm not sure what that means but if you are 100% sure both are working (switch, connections and circuitry, keep in mind it gets really dirty near the kickstand too cause of the chain) the only option it really could be is the tilt switch. It is a finicky sensor with a pretty crappy plastic mount under the 3rd eye light that can break lose and you also wouldn't be able to tell if any of the internals of the switch are broken by just looking at it. A single drop can cause it to malfunction. I'd replace that first before anything else. I've had my 08 for 6 years and 50k miles (two drops) with no failures to these three sensor/switches so I'd say it was a bit odd for this to happen after just 8k. I hope this helps! Report back when you've discovered the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies to my thread. I checked all of the obvious things as you have stated and eventually decided to take it to a guy I know locally who preps race bikes and had plenty of spares for the CBR’s to work through the issue. Turned out that at some point in its life mice had been at the wiring on top of the air box and eaten the insulation and severed a couple of wires. Don’t know how it had been running for so long at the copper had oxidised so must have been while the previous owner had it. Ended up having a whole new loom fitted as he had one spare and should be no issues going forward. Bike now runs a lot smoother especially at lower speeds and isn’t a jerky in 1st gear.
I’ve attached a photo of the little furry creatures work.
Thanks again for the replies.
John

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts