Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all

Im a UK owner and have a mint 2005 600 that I’m doing subtle functional mods too.

First I’m struggling to find a quality radiator guard for the bike. Evotech and R&G don’t seem to make them for this model year. Any ideas?

I’m finding the rear shock a little harsh at dealing with road irregularities. I’m thinking of fitting a Nitron R2 shock (I’ll use the bike on track too). Does the unit require removal of pillion foot pegs and repositioning of the rear brake reservoir?

Peter

·
Registered
595 Posts
Have you adjusted rear shock?

• reduce rebound damping to 20-25%
  • reduce compression damping to 0-5%
  • adjust nitrogen pressure to 500-700 kpa

That really improved ride-comfort for my wife who's 60kg.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Peter, street rider here...the roads are rough around here, most places probably the same I would imagine.
I can definitely feel the road, all of it! Stock dampers with some K-Tech stuff inside, the traction & handling are excellent in my opinion, it is dependable at lean while rolling through nasty bumps. Holds the line well.
I'm certainly no authority, but when the set-up is soft, it will fall out from under you if you push in the corners. This is just my personal preference though, on the stiff side.
Like I said, no expert here, no experience running high-end components, but in a nutshell it can be a trade off.
YMMV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that both. The bike is actually quite good. I run a 2016 BMW R1200RS too, with ESA and that isn’t anywhere near as sorted. It’s just a slight ‘crashiness’ on bumps in the rear that niggles. I’ve backed off 2 clicks of compression from standard and when I’m next out on the bike I’ll take a screwdriver and suck it and see. A part of me just wants to experience a high quality shock I guess.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well, to experience difference in high-end damper, you have to take factory one beyond its limits. I put Ohlins damper on my race Ninja 250 and it definitely helps in races. But on city streets, I can't tell any difference.

Reactions: peburridge

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hiya all

Im a UK owner and have a mint 2005 600 that I’m doing subtle functional mods too.

First I’m struggling to find a quality radiator guard for the bike. Evotech and R&G don’t seem to make them for this model year. Any ideas?

I’m finding the rear shock a little harsh at dealing with road irregularities. I’m thinking of fitting a Nitron R2 shock (I’ll use the bike on track too). Does the unit require removal of pillion foot pegs and repositioning of the rear brake reservoir?

Peter

There are definitely rad guards out there. I have one that I'm not currently using, so I'll have a think about selling it to you if you're interested? I'm in Jersey.

As or the shock. It will certainly be well past it's best and need servicing, I can highly recommend Darren at MCT Suspension in Stowmarket. He's a genius. Suspension should be serviced every couple of years with new oil and gas. But very few people bother.

That said OE suspension is made down to a price. A few years back a bike magazine found out at the launch of one of the new GSX-Rs that the rear shock cost the company £12 per unit! Go for the Nitron, or any other reputable make, you won't be disappointed. I have an Ohlins fitted to mine and it's excellent.

The Nitron should be a simple swap and as long as it's the correct model for the bike should fit without any mods. You will notice a huge difference. Even if it's firmer, damping will be far superior to the OE unit and will rid you of the harshness. Once you upgrade the rear, you made find the front end lacking!

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Do it, you won't regret......

As Ruby posts above, start shopping for the bits to make the forks right.

Springs and cartridges in the standard forks made a huge difference.

Installed a refreshed Ohlins rear, bought used from forum member "KUNI".

Marvelous road feel and feedback.

Worth every penny.

Around $800 total.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Darren at MCT worked wonders on my old Pan European. I made a trip South out of getting it done.
There’s a Maxton Race unit on eBay that would fit but I suspect a full race shock will be less than ideal for my 20/80% track and road bike. The guy has offered me a discount too. I will get the forks done over winter. The bike is 17 years old but with a genuine 2k dry miles and stored inside all its life it’s in amazing condition albeit the fluids will need replacing. I’ve just done the coolant and brake fluid/brake lines. 520 chain next (-1 on front only as I’m wary of over doing it).

Thank you. The suspension will be done.

I’ve ordered a RRG radiator guard on eBay. It’s a cheapie so I don’t know how good it’ll be.

Peter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts