Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had something like this a while back, but it died early, thought I might start a version 2. Feel free to post stuff from other bikes.

I'll start us off with this, since the 07+ was the 'big' change for the RR, I thought about how it would have fared in the WSS. I took the best Q2 time for any of the CBR600RR's regardless of team, and the same for the best lap time in the race. I had to discard some of the race results due to it raining one year in some tracks.

Took the average and then checked the difference. The '07 on average was 0.57 seconds quicker during qualifying and 0.75 seconds during the race. Pretty big difference, but we have to note that both the riders: Charpentier and Sofuogluo was on the RR for 2006 and 2007 and thus would have undoubtedly improved regardless, there were other riders on the RR of course, but these two were the most dominant with Charpentier winning the title in 06 and Sofuoglu in 07.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Your VIN code will tell you where your motorcycle is made, for example mine:

JH2PC37UX6M300217

J - Japan (I suspect all CBR600RR's are only made there)
H - Honda

PC37 - Model identifier, 07 600RR onwards will be PC40. The CBR1000RR will be SC57.
U - Australian model

6 - Year of manufacture, 2006
M - The factory it was made, M is for the Hamamatsu plant in Japan. I think all 600RR's are made there.

300217 - Production number, might mean something like 217th vehicle built on 300th day of year, or perhaps some other meaning.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
Fact, bears like beets!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stock gearing changes by region.

It is unclear why exactly, perhaps it has to do with cruising rpm based on differing highway speed limits.

2003 - 2006 models have 16/42 in AU and presumably EU too, whereas the US has 16/43

2007 onwards have 16/41 in AU and EU, whereas it's 16/42 in the US.

The difference is minor, but I would assume that this will give an incorrect speedo reading by using different ratios in another region.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Are you looking for fun 600RR facts or facts in general? Because everything listed applies to any bike, really so they're not really "CBR600RR fun facts" so much as "facts".

Gearing changes between countries are usually because of average cruising speeds, engine tunes being different due to EPA and DOT type regulations and riding styles different between regions riders. Europe isn't as rev happy as we are here and MPG is a bigger factor there than HP is, unlike the U.S. where we'll gladly give up 5mpg for 2hp and call it progress.

Europe also sees anti-theft and safety features such as ABS and traction controls as a high priority where as here they generally are options and sell poorly. Different strokes for different folks; ABS is offered on almost everything overseas.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have posted two 600RR specific items, and one a generalised item; VIN. Like I said in my first post, post anything you wish that may be of interest.

I prefer technical details and analysis over posts about colours of rims, how loud two brothers is over yoshimura and other barbie doll accessorising questions. Hence why this little thread.

Thanks for your insight, it is interesting to see how even minor changes are well thought out on the RR.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Despite the redline indicating 15,000rpm, the 03 - 06 actually revs to 15,200rpm.

The 07+ revs to 15,700rpm.

The RR and Ducati 749 were the only two bikes with non-misleading tacho indications in 2006. The R6 was off by some 1500rpm at redline.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Despite the redline indicating 15,000rpm, the 03 - 06 actually revs to 15,200rpm.

The 07+ revs to 15,700rpm.
Redline and rev limiter are two separate things and on EVERY bike the rev limiter will be slightly higher by a few hundred rpm than the indicated redline.

It's fine whatever you want to post, just saying you are STILL not posting facts about the RR as much as bikes in general. The lap time "facts" as well have SO many variables in them (tires, suspension, track familiarity, weather, where they placed in the field) it bears almost no factors on the "new" design vs. the "old" especially with such a small increase in lap times.

Here, RR "fun facts" facts:

- The 600RR engine was rumored to have been designed and developed right alongside the motogp bike.

- It is the first production Honda to use the "stacked" transmission setup and the Unit Prolink swingrm.

- It was their first streetbike designed as a race bike first then handed to the developers to add street gear to it instead of the other way around.

or read the Wiki page.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Each Honda CBR600RR (at least the 07 - 12) takes precisely 3600 seconds to assemble from scratch.

The excellent documentary series 'twist the throttle' documents Honda's history and a rare glimpse of production inside the Hamamatsu plant.

There are 36 different steps in building each Honda engine

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The most recent RR (2013+) is the 10th different incarnation since Honda started the 600 supersport class with the CBR600F (Hurricane) back in 1987.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It is interesting to see how the weight of the bike has decreased over the years whilst the power has increased. The following graphs show the wet weight, the power at the crank (bhp) and the power/weight ratio.

Not entirely sure of some of those power numbers: 85, 100, 105, 100 -- they look far too neat and rounded up or down by a few, but it's the best I could find for now. What I find most interesting in terms of power increase is that the biggest change relatively happened from the original CBR600F to the CBR600F2!

Also note that the F3 had an extra revision whilst still being called the F3, so that's not an error in the graph, there was an increase in power and slight increase in weight.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Honda's trade name for their fork suspension on the 600RR (and probably most of their sportbikes) is HMAS (Honda Multi Action System). I just love how stilted and formal it sounds, like Unit Pro-Link.

The color code for a 600RR is under the pillion seat on the tray. You can see what the original color of the bike should be regardless of what fairings are on it.

Liveries are separate between the United States and the rest of the world. (citation needed) Some liveries are considered special editions with lower run numbers (such as the Graffiti, Layla, and X-ray).

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Well, I have an abs model and I have 2 fun facts to share: abs has saved my ass from traffic that didn't have right of way 9 times all of which were around blind curves, and like someone else mentioned because abs isn't so popular here I bought mine 2 years old with 1 mile on it for a lot less than msrp and I get a small insurance discount when they code the model properly (my vin doesn't follow that pattern and bleeding my brakes is a 6 hour process but fvck it!

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
Watch it pal. Unless you have proper clearance, you can't just waltz in and start posting animal facts like that and pretend nothing ever happened. :drunk:
Sorry sir....ill be good. Promise!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honda's trade name for their fork suspension on the 600RR (and probably most of their sportbikes) is HMAS (Honda Multi Action System). I just love how stilted and formal it sounds, like Unit Pro-Link.

The color code for a 600RR is under the pillion seat on the tray. You can see what the original color of the bike should be regardless of what fairings are on it.

Liveries are separate between the United States and the rest of the world. (citation needed) Some liveries are considered special editions with lower run numbers (such as the Graffiti, Layla, and X-ray).
I had wondered before what HMAS was actually.

Liveries are definitely separated according to region. EU and Aus never got the orange tribal scheme in 06, instead we got Telefonica Movistar.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I have an abs model and I have 2 fun facts to share: abs has saved my ass from traffic that didn't have right of way 9 times all of which were around blind curves, and like someone else mentioned because abs isn't so popular here I bought mine 2 years old with 1 mile on it for a lot less than msrp and I get a small insurance discount when they code the model properly (my vin doesn't follow that pattern and bleeding my brakes is a 6 hour process but fvck it!
What is your VIN?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts