Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2005 cbr600rr for about 6 months now. I had to park it off this weekend as it just won’t keep its idle and switches off very often, a few days back while riding I suddenly lost all cluster lights and the bike lost power for about a second or 2 then continued like normal thereafter, today again while riding I lost all power/ lights, bike was completely dead but managed to roll off to the side of the road!!! I tried starting it a few times and it won’t idle and eventually cuts off, the battery ran dead. I walked home fetch my car a a buddy of mine to ride tha car back, think I could jumpstart the bike and it should be okay to ride back home. Connected the jumpers and started the bike, it revs well and sounds very normal but as soon as I removed one jumper clip from the bike battery the idle started dropping and switched off, jumped again and when jumper removed again the idle won’t stay but u can rev it up a bit! I tried to keep up the revs and ride it but bike had no power and kept switching off, was close to home so I pushed it back, can anyone advise on the above, I’m an elevator technician and also understand auto mechanics well, I don’t want to give the bike in for repairs but attempt to fix it myself, would much appreciate feedback from any Honda cbr600 experts out there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do you know how old the battery is? I'd start with that as modern fuel injected vehicles won't run if the ECU detects there isn't enough power. There are so many things that require power for the motor to run.

So put the battery on charge for a good 24 hours, then see what happens. You may just need a new battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ruby Racing. Thank u for replying. I bought a brand new battery about a month back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi yes all connections are tight, I have removed all the fairings and covers and plan to check all plugs, connections etc

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Have you tested your electrical system? Stator, regulator/rectifier, etc.?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Managed to put the bike together. After stripping, checking and lubricating all electrical plugs , earthing, new connections/ lug joints, re insulating and neatening all wiring back to front. Found corrosion/ ionizing(copper and sea salt reaction) on 2 pins on big plug on Lhs front of bike, this bike was unfortunately situated close to the sea for last 2 years. These connections go to the instrument cluster and ignition switch. It maybe possibly explains the sudden cutting off of the bikes power for a second or 2 while riding and loss of power/low idle/ switching off. After all this labour intensive work and only buying a can of lubricant spray, the initial problem is gone, and bike/idle issues are bk to normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I’m also proud that I managed to fix the problem myself. Just shows what a little time and dedication can do. I want to also Thank you for your support and interest shown, Cheerio Happy riding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there, I’ve noticed that the bike is not charging the battery when riding. After a long trip when the bikes very hot, if I stop for about 5-10 minutes it won’t start again, u can clearly hear the batterys very low, enough just to light up cluster/ ignition lights but won’t start. Also if the bikes standing and idling for about 5 minutes the idle starts to drop and eventually switches off and won’t start again, the temperature reaches around 100 degrees. Im thinking the stator windings must be renewed as u can see it was changed once before. Any thoughts please ??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The voltage regulator, the grey block with the ribs was also renewed once before. So I’m thinking one of these 2 parts can be giving problems again. I did charge the battery and went for a ride, after about 10-15 minutes of riding the idle dropped and bike switched off and won’t start again as battery very flat, only ignition lights come up

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The voltage regulator, the grey block with the ribs was also renewed once before. So I’m thinking one of these 2 parts can be giving problems again. I did charge the battery and went for a ride, after about 10-15 minutes of riding the idle dropped and bike switched off and won’t start again as battery very flat, only ignition lights come up
You can keep “thinking” or you can test them and know. Or you can throw money at it hoping you fix the right part.

Seriously, just test the entire electrical system, you will quickly determine what is wrong and can fix the right part.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, okay thx, i did test the battery terminals or charging voltage of the bike when idling and getting no voltage reading on my multimeter. I will send the bike in to my mechanic for diagnostics, thanks for yr reply

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, battery is flat but enough for lights to come on. I jump started the bike and it started and idles. I measured the voltage and showed 12v. Left it idling with meter still on and after about 5 minutes voltage dropped to 9v, after another 4 minutes dropped to 7 and idle started dropping. Few minutes later bike switches off, battery dead won’t start, i did Rev it up in between and voltage never changed or increased at all,

·
Registered
347 Posts
Charging system isn't working. Stator or R&R likely the culprit. But it could be due to bad connections or a bad battery as well. There are a lot of "motorcycle charging system troubleshooting" hits on Google and YouTube.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Wazoo thx for the info. I did buy a new battery. I will start by changing the rectifier/ regulator and go from there. Thanks buddy.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Hi Wazoo thx for the info. I did buy a new battery. I will start by changing the rectifier/ regulator and go from there. Thanks buddy.
Or you could test the components and not throw your money away. I can’t make it any clearer than that, you’re halfway there with testing, why not figure out what’s actually bad instead of throwing parts at it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts