Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking into adding a sportbike to the stable and after going to the dealership this weekend ready to buy a cbr600rr an ended up very impressed with the cb1000r. I know the cb1000r is more of a naked sportbike and the obvious differences are the riding position and size of the motor. I am transitioning from a cruiser and was told the cb1000r would be a bit more comfortable to ride. My main purpose for buying another bike is to have something a bit more fun to take on the weekends and occasionally to work. Although the cb1000r has a larger engine I know there are going to be differences in the way they run and what I should expect. Any advice or input on my pending decision is greatly appreciated. I've listed my main questions below

Which is easier to transition to from a cruiser?
Main differences in performance?
Aftermarket support?
Comparisons between cbr600rr and other naked bikes?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Keepin it simple.

Cb1000r- Tons of torque, wheelie monster, not nearly as nimble as 600rr, feel more like a cruiser

600rr- fast, nimble, easy to handle, perfect for twisties, not comfy at all. What i would buy and i own a cbr1000rr.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've owned a few cruisers and the CBR600RR was my first sportbike. It's provided me what you posted you're looking for. It's fun to ride and enjoyable and is quite a bit faster than my old 1800 muscle cruiser, though obviously less low end torque.

Mort

·
Registered
714 Posts
talk about getting off subject... anyways help this guy out. i would say go for 600rr if you want a more sporty ride, get a cb1000 if you just want something more comfortable

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
One of the mags did an article on the CB1000. They REALLY didn't like it. I think the main beef was that they de-tuned the engine too much. There are some other good bikes in that genre. FZ-1, Ninja-1000, Bandit 1250, etc. The Ninja 1K got great reviews.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you want something to just put around town and can still go like a bat out of hell, I would go the naked bike (z1000 is my fav naked).

The supersport bikes do NOT handle well in slow maneuvers unless you put some helibars on instead of clipons, and the 600rr is quite slow and tame under 8000RPM. For town riding you really want something a bit torquier.

If 90% of your riding is commuting, you should also think about how you want to be seated.. leaned over with pressure on your lower back like on the supersport, or sitting comfortably on the naked. If you want to be the next track day junkie, you will be better off with the 600 though...

Just buy the bike to suit the application, both will be great fun, and look great :) If you later decide to go the way of the track riding, you can always trade up, or buy a dedicated track bike :)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most of my riding is commuting but I will be riding the shadow for that. This bike will purely be for those all day saturday rides on the backroads and will basically only ridden on the weekends and a few weekdays. When you say the 600rr is tough to manuever at slow speeds is this something that the helibars will help with? I am a little concerned with making a smooth transition from my cruiser and if the naked bike will be easier to manuever and to make the transition on then I may want to go that route. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I can say this, do 100 mph on a bike without fairings, then do 100mph on a bike with fairings, see which one is more comfortable after that. I remember switching from a naked bike to one with fairings for the first time, I looked down at my speedo realizing that I was going 120 mph in 65 by accident. The 600rr is going to handle better too. If you do plan on getting a 600rr, make sure you have some decent roads to ride, riding straight roads just makes it uncomfortable. If you can ride some roads that require you to start shifting body weight a little bit, you won't be uncomfortable on the bike. If you're riding expressways all the time, get the cb1000. Think about what type of riding you will do first.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Granted I'm 6'3" but I've always been fairly comfortable on the 600rr I loved it and was far more comfortable than on my dads Harley 1200custom, the stretched out forward controls and drag bars put some serious pressure on my lower back. Granted I'm only 26 but being bunched up on the sport bike left me feeling as if I was one with the machine and any other riding position just doesn't feel right. And lets keep in mind that the 600rr has been a mainstay at the top of the list of 600 cc sportbikes for around town ride ability for many years, from a Honda lover the 600rr is an incredible machine and you can't go wrong with it

·
Registered
176 Posts
Most of my riding is commuting but I will be riding the shadow for that. This bike will purely be for those all day saturday rides on the backroads and will basically only ridden on the weekends and a few weekdays. When you say the 600rr is tough to manuever at slow speeds is this something that the helibars will help with? I am a little concerned with making a smooth transition from my cruiser and if the naked bike will be easier to manuever and to make the transition on then I may want to go that route. Thanks for the input guys.
If this bike is just for banging it through the back roads and having fun on, then the 600 may be for you. I was under the impression you were replacing your cruiser. My apologies.

The Helibars just make it more comfortable to maneuver the bike, because you are not leaned so far forward. This is only for navigating stationary traffic, u-turns etc though. Clip ons are fine by themselves but they are more comfortable when you are going fast. You often see (and will do) sportsbike riders leaning on the tank with one arm while holding the throttle. Thats because unless you are cornering, the 600 is not comfortable at all, any more than 20 mins on a straight road and you will start to get uncomfortable.

I purchased a 600 with track days in mind, and ended up using the bike 99% for commuting. If I knew how unpractical a supersport was for commuting I would have bought a motard :D there is no substitute for the 600 for cutting laps at your local track or through the mountains though :thumbup:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have both a 600rr and a Honda 919 which is the predecessor to the cb1000r. I recommend going with the cb1000r.

1. Better ergos
2. more useable power everywhere you would actually ride the bike outside of the track including twisties, street, and highway
3. the cb carries it's weight well on stock suspension and you should have absolutely no issue keeping up with anyone who claims they can outrun you in the twisties on a 600cc sportbike (assuming you're a proficient rider)

so unless you want the cbr solely for looks or like to regularly speed like a suicidal squid down the highways, you're not going to see any big benefits from going with the cbr600.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,484 Posts
A few things outside of the obvious to consider:

Which bike will give you cheaper insurance?
Will you be doing any two up riding?
Will you be going on any long road trips on fun backroads?

Either bike you get, first thing you should do is set up the suspension for your weight and riding style.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A few things outside of the obvious to consider:

Which bike will give you cheaper insurance?
Will you be doing any two up riding?
Will you be going on any long road trips on fun backroads?

Either bike you get, first thing you should do is set up the suspension for your weight and riding style.
not too worried about insurance
i'll be going solo
most of my trips will be longer rides on the backroads

another thing to consider might be my height. i am 5'6 and the tech at the dealership mentioned that they could lower the cbr600rr with no issues to make it more comfortable when stopped and allow me to have both feet on the ground - he was unsure if they could lower the cb1000r much because he didnt have much experience with the bike.

thanks again for the feedback guys, i really appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts