Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.. before i start lets just say this is just for general discussion and slightly debatable topic, not here to start a fight or war i would just like to know... for the longest time i wanted the r6.. i love the head like look but thats about as far as it got for me. the cbr i liked all the way round and the undertail exhaust :) it stole my heart once i got my bike with the acura tsx retrofit in there :D .. only one side tho atm :( :banghead: ......

the first time i wanted a bike or knew i wanted a bike was when i was 17 i sat on my buddies r6 and heard him start it up in his underground parkade. i was in awe. so i would like to know, for anyone here who has been on an r6 and actually rode it, or who owns one or pre owned one, can you let me know how it is in comparison to the cbr. specifically in the years of 03-06.. but other years are also welcomed to speech.

any comparison would be fine, it can be the ride quality the seat positioning, the handling.. ANYTHING! I JUST want confirmation that my cbr is better than my life long dream of owning the r6 since 16.

i love my cbr dont get me wrong i know this is a rr net so everyone will be slightly biased. but if you could put that pride aside for ur bike and be honest that would be much appreciated.

PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEACCEE OUT SMELL THAT RUBBA? THATS CUZ U BEHIND ME :fyou:

·
BOTM Winner 02/12
364 Posts
The cbr will be alot more comfortable. Softer seat with a slightly less weight on your wrists. The newer r6 has a wider seat it seems like to me. Its puts weird pressure on my inter top thigh aria. Maybe its cus im skinny IDK. but i was not comfortable. Honda is a Honda so it will run forever with the right treatment. If you look on the R6 forum there are quite a few that are needing very expensive repairs or rebuilds done by they time they turn 25 or 30k miles. Some guys on here have 50k and everything is running great still. Ive herd r6 does a little better on the track in a few areas but im not a track guy... yet :)

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
The ergonomics are different. the 600rr is more comfortable the ergos of the r6 is more track oriented - like what Crim said.

The R6 has a couple more horse power on the top end of the rev range, but the CBR has a lot more horse power in the mid range of the RPMs.

all in all if you are a track rider you MIGHT want the R6 because of that extra 3 horse power on top.

other then that the 600RR is the better all around bike.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I had a 2003 R6, and now have a 2004 CBR600RR. I'm not looking back, here's why:

The R6 has a lot less low end & mid range grunt. You can readily feel it around town. Add a passenger, and it becomes a snail under 8k rpm's. And my R6 had the full monty: micron exhaust, -1 in the front, velocity stacks, K&N air filter, lighened rear brake rotor, graves slide stops, braided brake lines, etc.

The R6 does have more HP, but it comes at a price. The engines have a tendency to become oil thirsty after 20k miles of anything but easy use. My CBR has over 21K miles and it doesn't drink a drop of oil. I rode behind my friends R6 a while back, and when he got on the gas you could see a plume of smoke come out the exhaust.

Gas mileage is a little better on my CBR when I take it on road trips. I shouldn't really compare here since the R6 had a -1 sprocket in the front, but just another thing to consider.

The CBR600RR lineup has more modular mods. What I mean by this is I can buy a slipper clutch for my 2004, and put it on a 2011 CBR600RR when I get one. Many other aftermarket mods can carry over aswell, just make smart, educated decisions.

The new R6 is very track oriented but the 05-07 R6 (not the R6S) has a huge tendency to eat engine bearings. Yamaha switched to wider bearings in the 08 R6, so that'd be the one to get.
The R6 bearings are such an issue, that you need to use the best oil, and warm them up for a considerable amount of time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
pretty much what everyone else said before me. the cbr is alot more comfortable the seat on the r6 feels wide and because its a little awkward. the cbr has better low and midrange power, also my cbr feels more agile and nimble compared to the 07 r6 that i use to own.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i had an 07 R6 - the top end in red line is UNREAL on that bike.. IT LOVES RED LINE!!

i now have an 08 rr and the low to mid will destory the r6 off the line...

but I wouldnt be surprised to see the R6 pass the honda in a long distance sprint...

Both fun bikes..

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I had a 05 r6 raven and liked it. It was a little more relaxed riding position. The CBR in my opinion is more aggressive and more agile. I wouldnt go back to a r6 after owning my Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.Com

·
Registered
8 Posts
its alive again.

Ok i own a 03 600rr and the seat is the hardest seat I have ever sat on. It is total ****! But now after riding everyday my butt has grown to except it. when I sit on my girlfriends 02 r6 it is like sitting on heaven as compaired to mine. One of the things I dont like about her bike is how it feels between my legs, its too narrow and cant seem to tuck out of the wind like I want to. Also we had a roll on race from 60 to 80 miles per hour in sixth gear and her r6 just took off on my me and left me in the dust. I am no professional racer and I cant take either bike the to the limit of their capabilities and so I dont buy a 600's on that bases. I wanted a 600 super sport for the power and when I saw the rr, I said god damn that is one sexy ass motorcycle. I just cant stop staring at it. Honda did a good job, but I cant believe how they could make such a horrible seat and the the placement of the tool kit makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I've only ridden my buddy's 2006 R6 (still the current gen). As others have said, the ergonomics and power band are less than ideal for the street compared to the RR. The seat is higher and you feel perched on top of the bike while being forced to lay on your belly. The seat itself feels thicker than the RR's however.

Handling-wise, the bike feels tippier than the RR. This could be a good or bad thing depending on your preference.

Maintenance: the rear shock is much easier to get to on the R6. But doing a simple oil change looks like a PITA after watching my friend do it. Gotta remove lower fairing and potentially the kickstand if your oil filter is on too tight as there's no room to grab the filter if it doesn't have a hex head welded to it.

It's a fun bike though. If you take it to the higher RPMs it really takes off. It's also the sexiest looking SS IMO. Despite, I still prefer the RR on both a mechanical and aesthetic level.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
There's so much wrong with this thread. First off the 2003-2006 r6 covers different generations (03-05 and 06). The 03-05 is what was soon after known as the r6s. The seat for the 03-05 r6 and r6s is MUCH more comfortable than the 03-06 600rr. I had an 06 600rr and my friend had a 04 r6. I remember my seat being like a rock and much wider than his r6 seat. Then I got a 07 600rr which was an upgrade in every way possible. Here they are together:

But overall, compared to my 06 600rr, my bike felt more responsive and handling was way better than his r6. Hope that helps. By the way, I do find that the old gen r6 (03-05) is way more comfy than the current (06+) r6.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Never ridden an R6, only sat on one and it felt like a much more aggressive riding position. I like a more comfortable ride since I don't track mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you dream of that bike go get it man you have one life and you need to live it :p You can have problems with Honda bike too my 2013 cbr 600 rr leaked at the cam sensor, bad starting, missing clipson the fairing and I've got some high beam problems. So every bike can have problems :p

·
Registered
718 Posts
Holy thread revival batman.

But newbs can take lessons from this guy. He did a search and found a thread that was for his needs and replied on it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My buddy just got rid of his 07 r6. He bought his after I bought my 03 cbr. We often traded for a day just so get a feel for each others bikes. His was a lot more comfortable to sit on but that's as far as it got. The cbr handles way better. The r6 actually allows a lot more wind to hit you when going down the high way then the cbr does. So the cbr is more aerodynamic I guess you would say. The cbr is an overall better bike in my opinion. But keep in mind RR stand for racing replica so it's pretty much made to Handel better and be more aerodynamic. Not to mention mine ran a lot better then his did lol :) but I also have a full yoshi and power commander lol. That's just my .02 thou guys.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
26 Posts
Never went above 45 on either, but I test rode a 2010 R6 and a 2012 CBR6RR.
Seat: R6 seat was a tad bit wider and taller...Couldn't completely flat foot.
Position: I felt as if I was leaned over more on the R6. Though I'm sure I could've gotten use to it.
Brakes: The R6's were noticeably more responsive ("tighter")
Maneuverability: Although each of the bikes were relatively the same weight, the CBR felt lighter. I noticed this when I was playing around with the steering.
Power: In the range that I was, both bikes felt identical. So I don't have any helpful comment here.

Overall, the CBR sold me. It's very street-able :) It's funny: I actually went in bias and wanting an R6 because it was basically the upgrade of my FZ6, but left with a CBR haha.

If I ever do have the money and want to get a solid dedicated track bike, it will be an R6 though.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I went from a '05 600RR to a '09 R6. So it's not a truly fair comparison considering its a previous gen CBR with the newer gen R6.

They are both great motorcycles. I do not think an average rider would be quicker on one or the other. I would say the CBR was slightly more stable, the R6 more agile.

The standout difference between the two bikes is the engine. The R6 pulls a bit harder, sounds way better, is much louder and is generally much more of an exciting supersport engine.
The CBR feels sedate in comparison.

I ride these bikes on the track so take that with a grain of salt. On the street, the CBR's midrange might prove to be more effective.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I went from a '05 600RR to a '09 R6. So it's not a truly fair comparison considering its a previous gen CBR with the newer gen R6.

They are both great motorcycles. I do not think an average rider would be quicker on one or the other. I would say the CBR was slightly more stable, the R6 more agile.

The standout difference between the two bikes is the engine. The R6 pulls a bit harder, sounds way better, is much louder and is generally much more of an exciting supersport engine.
The CBR feels sedate in comparison.

I ride these bikes on the track so take that with a grain of salt. On the street, the CBR's midrange might prove to be more effective.
I own an 05 but after looking at the r6 for so long, it just looks so nice..... very very tempted to make the switch. but to switch a 600 for a 600..... i dont do track often.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I own an 05 but after looking at the r6 for so long, it just looks so nice..... very very tempted to make the switch. but to switch a 600 for a 600..... i dont do track often.
The 08+ R6 is the best looking supersport bike ever made. IMO ofcourse.

·
BOTM Winner 02/15
237 Posts
The 08+ R6 is the best looking supersport bike ever made. IMO ofcourse.
I also agree on that, just like the TS I always wanted to own a R6 since I was young. However nowadays I think that looks aren't as important as for example reliability and handling to me.

I got a friend that rides a 2007 R6 and has all sorts of trouble since his purchase like leaking radiator fluids and high oil usage. I've low sided my 04' 600RR twice and I never had problems with it after I rebuilt it TWICE! The 2003-2006 CBR600RR engines are indestructible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts