Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, passed my CBT Friday before last, did my DAS last Thursday, and got the CBR600RR last Friday. All in all my riding expirience totals at about 2-3 weeks, he he he, im such a noob.

Loving the bike, man oh man are these things rapid, got 120mph on Saturday after collecting the bike, and did 130mph on the Sunday (on private roads of course ;-) ) from now on i ride a dragon into work, makes a change from stinky trains thats for sure. I really cant get over how amazing these machines are.

Anyways, now for some dumb questions.

1) at speeds above 120, does the steering reverse, it sure feels like it when your batting allong. Also, when i croutch under the windshield (i allmost got blown off, he he he) should i sit back in the seat?

2) Where should my weight be for regular riding, i prefer it on my knees, it makes the controlls allot easyer, but should i be putting weight on my wrists?

3) How many revs are you doing before you change gear for cruzin. So far im going up to about 4,000 and changing but its a bit clunky, should i be doing 6,000? Also i want to be able to conserve fuel, so please remeber this is cruzin speeds.

got some more questions, but gotta do some work right now.

Thanks in advance for any replys

Ez

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Congrats on passing your tests and getting your bike. How about you take your time learning so we don't end up hearing about another crash story.

To answer your ?'s though:

As for shifting, if I am just out cruising around and not riding hard, I would say that I shift some where around 7K rpm's (plus or minus)

As for your steering being reversed at higer speeds.....um.....no. At those speeds, it isn't really a turning movement, more like a leaning movement. (just slow down for now until you learn your bike a little better) When I do tuck during higher speeds, yes I tend to sit back a little more in the seat. That is mainly so I can get a tighter tuck and lessen wind resistance.

As for where your weight should be.......mine is on the seat. If you put a lot of weight on your wrist, you are gonna feel it and it will hurt. Just relax your arms a bit. Put a little bend in your elbows and try not to lock them out. I don't really put a lot of pressure on my knees either.

Hope that helps a little. Remember to keep the shiny side up and the sticky side down.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Snapshot, ive got a feeling those would be the answers, but i just wanted to be sure. And yea, i gotta take it easy, dont wanna be Man Jam on the highway.

7K's pretty high, but its how it likes to be riden, im just used to cars and well, it feels like im going to break it riding like that, but im getting used to it.

ppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
damn Mouse, i pre-apologize for what i'm about to say, and i know it's gonna come up somewhere, so i guess i'll be the first to say it: what the hell is wrong with you? :bitchslap: you've been riding for about 2-3 weeks you say, and you did 120mph RIGHT AFTER YOU GOT THE BIKE!! :wtf: and then you do 130mph the very next day!!!! :cursin: did you not learn ANYTHING from those courses you took? :very_mad:

you've obviously been on this site for long enough, so you should know what a squid is. you just made Squid Captain. good job.... :salute:

maybe you should go back and retake those courses, you might actually learn something this time.

ok, i'm done. and once again, i apologize if i was out of line. this is just the kind of thing that shouldn't happen. just take your time and REALLY learn how to ride that thing, before you attempt any more stunts like this.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Mouse you pleb, slow it down. Don't want to preach but with only 3 weeks experience you really don't know all of the dangers - "at speeds above 120, does the steering reverse" :bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap:

That statement says it all. Admittedly, counter steering is a technique you will pick up but speed has nothing to do with it really.

Anyway, where in London are you? I'm just down the A3 in Guildford.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im living in Sutton, Cheam to be precise. You going to show me how its done properly then.

And i do admit it, Squid Captain i am for that, but ill slow it down. I was just having too much fun.

Oh, i know its hardly bikes, but i used to race with Jensen Button and Daniel Wheldon. So as far as track time goes, im a bit of a pro, just with four wheels thats all.

Thanks for the responses guys, and yea, ill chill out a bit.

Wanted to get some pressure in the engine so the heads seal good, well thats my excuse anyways. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ironically the only point i picked up in my DAS was for going too slow, he he he. Other than that a clean sheet for me. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I can't show you how it's done cos I'm no pro!

What I'm really trying to say I suppose is that accidents can happen much quicker on a bike than in a car, and much more easily!

Things you can do in a car to stop an accident from happening you can't do on a bike. You got all the protective gear?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yop, i got a Knox back protector, A* track pants and stunt jacket, some crappy AGV Deamon Vent my mate leant me untill my TiTech comes in, and GP-Pro Gloves and Sidi Boots. Im nicely packaged.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the link, yea been over there, its good, but the mods on here are better, and people seem more in touch with whats available.

·
Registered
566 Posts
****, Mouse, get yourself booked on a Honda MAC course, or Roadcraft course, before you become a statistic. That way you'll learn what you can and can't get away with. And your riding ability will jump massively. This is why bike accidents rise: it's too easy to bin it simply because a 40 min jolly round the town does nothing to prepare you for riding on of these things. And you just gotta let rip when you get one (What'll it do, mista?). Before any of this is any use, you must admit to yourself that; 1. you don't really know what you're doing and more importantly 2. you are WILLING TO LEARN. That way, you're on the way.

So, get a course. Try http://www.280bhp.co.uk/tbl/index.html. The dude in the rossi rep leathers and yellow CBR was me before the RR.

Next, get a track day, and go with someone who's done a few, so you can learn the prep from them. Grab an instructor and learn.

And finally, advanced work will turn filtering in the city from a life lottery to a smooth way to slice thru the traffic.

PM me if I can help at all, good luck, and be around long enough to enjoy it. Hell, I chased a marked cop bike at speeds upto 135mph on a course. Speed doesn't kill, inappropriate speed in the wrong place does. That's what any bike cop will tell you.

Well done, mate. Come to Monza with us http://www.600rr.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20794&highlight=

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im actually quite enjoying filtering now. I just take it real easy, no point in ripping it.

Allthough when your three cars back from the give way line and the lights go amber, the temptation to gun for the gap is pretty great. and i have given in once or twice. :bitchslap:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Mouse said:
Im living in Sutton, Cheam to be precise. You going to show me how its done properly then.

And i do admit it, Squid Captain i am for that, but ill slow it down. I was just having too much fun.

Oh, i know its hardly bikes, but i used to race with Jensen Button and Daniel Wheldon. So as far as track time goes, im a bit of a pro, just with four wheels thats all.

Thanks for the responses guys, and yea, ill chill out a bit.

Wanted to get some pressure in the engine so the heads seal good, well thats my excuse anyways. :twisted:
well alright man, as long as you say you're chillin' out. i just don't want to hear about one of our members once again becoming a statistic, and a loss to all bikers. just be careful and take it easy, aight.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, i wanna do a track day sooooooo bad, to be honest every day is a learning expirience, but ive got good knowledge of stopping distances, tyre feel, and road conditions. So when i have gone fast i make sure im the only one about (dont want to loose my licence above all). Most of the time i feel like im doing a million miles an hour and actually im well within the sped limits. These bikes dont half make the cops rubberneck, they hea you coming and are desperate to catch you, i guess the noise makes it seem like your doing speed, but in actual fact your just pop pop popping along.

Monza sounds good, ill check the info.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
600RR NM, thanks man, i know you just care about your fellow riders well being. Point taken, i was taking the piss at that speed, but it was oly to see the numbers flash up on the dial, then i slowed down again. but as ive said, there was one other bike on the road at the time.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
600RR_NM said:
damn Mouse, i pre-apologize for what i'm about to say, and i know it's gonna come up somewhere, so i guess i'll be the first to say it: what the hell is wrong with you? :bitchslap: you've been riding for about 2-3 weeks you say, and you did 120mph RIGHT AFTER YOU GOT THE BIKE!! :wtf: and then you do 130mph the very next day!!!! :cursin: did you not learn ANYTHING from those courses you took? :very_mad:

you've obviously been on this site for long enough, so you should know what a squid is. you just made Squid Captain. good job.... :salute:

maybe you should go back and retake those courses, you might actually learn something this time.

ok, i'm done. and once again, i apologize if i was out of line. this is just the kind of thing that shouldn't happen. just take your time and REALLY learn how to ride that thing, before you attempt any more stunts like this.
Well Put, And you get my vote for "BEST USE OF EMOTICONS EVER!!!"

C

·
0 Posts
Mouse
Welcome tho the proud ownership of the 600RR. Don't let it own you. The rpm range should be determined according to your situation. You'll find the sweet spot and get used to it. It's the one where your speed, gear, rpm's are all synced up and shifting seems most effortless.
Slide way back on the seat but still always clinch with your knees. Research your riding position, twist of the wrist II by keith code helps. If you want to conserve fuel, hit 6th all the way...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
haha, thanks WherzRoony! i've really been trying to get that "Best Use OF EMOTICONS EVER!!!" trophy for some time now, and was hoping to get it for Christmas! :santac:

hey Mouse, it's good to see you're head's on straight

1 - 20 of 21 Posts