Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I don't have a garage and occasionally have to park on the street (it scares the hell out of me). I was looking at my bike parked on the curb, and thought about running a U-Lock through the rear tire and bar on the drain in the curb (Make sense?). It would work great, but I'm sure its illegal to lock onto city property. I was wondering about a chain between my bike and my car, to prevent "Grab-and-go's". Has anyone done that, or know if its okay or not?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Wont they just that your car tire/rim with them then? if they're gonna steal it they're gonna steal it but it's better than jsut leaving it on the street

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't hook it to city property, but you certainly could to your vehicle. It won't hinder a determined thief, but it definitely wouldn't hurt.
No determined thief would bother with bother with my moto.. I'm mostly concerned about the tweekers up the street lurkin in their garage all damn night:gun1::retard::+1:. A week ago my key broke off in my ignition and i had to call a buddy with a truck... With just the two of us, we go the bike in the truck in one motion. It scared me to think that 2 guys could lift my bike into the truck and be off (alarm whailing and all) in 10 seconds OR LESS. Im pretty sure thiefs dont bother with tie down straps. A chain to my car would work a whole lot better than a Xena Lock.And its like $70 cheaper.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i would do it for sure, although a regular chain is pretty easy to cut so you might want to look into those special chains which are almost impossible to cut with bolt cutters

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I do that when I am up at school. I run a 1/2 inch cable through the steel bumpers of my jeep which is welded to the frame. If they wanted it bad enough, they can flash freeze the cable with nitrogen and it'll cut, but at least it slows down a grab and go. Especially with crack heads living across the street.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if there is a way to chain the bike to the car, use an insulated lock,hook a capacitor up to the chain and ground it to the bike.. 650,000 volt anti-theft system.. My pops used to do that to the wheels of his car in the 70's.

·
Registered
199 Posts
this isn't a great picture, but after my bike got stolen... and then returned... I started chaining it to the axle of my car. don't have any better pictures, but you can kinda see the chain.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I know a lot of people in the Seattle area chain their bikes to their cars. Works for them. Another thing that works great is a cover. Out of sight out of mind kind of thing. You can buy covers that lock underneath so they cant just lift it up to check out what's in there.

D

·
0 Posts
A chain will only slow down a determined thief by a few seconds. If you really want to deter a thief with a chain, get a long ass one and string it through the wheels, swingarm, forks, triple trees, frame where necessary. Anything that would make it take longer than a minute to get everything free to move the bike without making a lot of noise.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Do you live in a apartment or a house? Is there anyway you can make room for your bike in the apt or house. Chains wont work to well all they need is a bolt cutter then its all over. If you dont have any room in your living space just make sure you have insurance full coverage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not for nothin, but I understand what bolt cutters can do. The biggest threat to our bikes are grab-n-go's .. I was asking about the legality of chaining a bike to a car, not the structural integrity of chains or the "determined thief" that roams the city streets with a acytelene torch. If the "Determined Thief" bypassed my alarm, cut the chain, lifted the bike, and got away without me noticing, I still have the GPS tracker on-board... Anyways,I called Parking enforcement and their answer was "I dont know"..So unless I get a ticket, Im doing it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
A little extra security is never a bad thing. I have aftermarket wheels on my car with special lug nuts so no thief would be able to take off the wheel. I wish I lived on the ground floor of my apt. complex so I could just bring the bike inside.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts