Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone knocks me because there is a chain adjustment sticky, I'm just looking for personal experiences/ opinions.

I am in need of a chain adjustment, but am really on the fence about doing it myself. On my last bike (1994 Honda VFR750) it was a simple adjustment with a tool after loosening a bolt and retightening it.

I am fairly confident and competent with the bike (electrical installs, exhaust install, juicebox/power commander install, own oil changes, etc.), just not sure about this. One: I have to buy the tools for it as I don't have a torque wrench, or axle bolt socket. Two: I think I am mostly paranoid about the alignment of the rear wheel.

So what's everyone's opinion, is this a pretty easy self maintenance procedure, or do I have reason to worry? What is everyone's input on the alignment after the adjustment? I saw the string method, but don't know how comfortable I am leaving it up to that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

G

·
It's fairly easy to do. You have no need for a torque wrench for adjusting the chain. A 1 1/4" open end wrench will do just fine as long as you tighten it down. When adjusting the chain, ignore the marks on the site.

I look at there being two ways of adjusting the chain.
1) Spend some money and buy a set of Gilles KTS chain adjusters. It'll be some of the best spent money on your bike, as it makes changing the rear wheel and adjusting the chain flawless and super easy. They have accurate markings on the adjusters and you can get your chain perfectly straight with a few twists of an allen key.

2) Use the stock hardware to adjust the chain, but instead of the string method, once you get the chain slack within spec, use a digital caliper measure the space from the forward most part of the axle slot to the forward most part of the axle holder, and get both sides to be the same.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's fairly easy to do. You have no need for a torque wrench for adjusting the chain. A 1 1/4" open end wrench will do just fine as long as you tighten it down. When adjusting the chain, ignore the marks on the site.

I look at there being two ways of adjusting the chain.
1) Spend some money and buy a set of Gilles KTS chain adjusters. It'll be some of the best spent money on your bike, as it makes changing the rear wheel and adjusting the chain flawless and super easy. They have accurate markings on the adjusters and you can get your chain perfectly straight with a few twists of an allen key.

2) Use the stock hardware to adjust the chain, but instead of the string method, once you get the chain slack within spec, use a digital caliper measure the space from the forward most part of the axle slot to the forward most part of the axle holder, and get both sides to be the same.
Thanks for the input. I'll prob stick with number 2 for this time around. Do you know a good place to find those gilles adjusters and how much they run? I looked around and found anything between $111 and $250, but those were all for different bikes. Didn't have any luck finding them for the 600rr. Thanks.

G

·
Brad at Superbike Supply has the best prices. I picked up some from him back in January for around $150 I think. He's a vendor on here, so PM him and you will easily get a price cheaper than what is on his website.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts