Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So chain was a little lose ski tightened her up a tad. Then I started to hear a really loud popping, with a little tension. So I recheck chain more thoroughly. See attached pics.

Does that mean the chain is bent or the sprocket? I assume chain as that is only place it does this. Everywhere else is smooth when coming on r. Sprocket.

Help?

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
I can't see what you're trying to show in that pic. I can see that your bike looks neglected and the sprocket looks toast but it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Judging by the pic, it looks like it may be time for a new chain and sprocket

·
Registered
97 Posts
Time for new sprocket and chain. Hard to tell what the photo is showing. Doesn't look like it's been lubed very often.

May be out of alignment - rear wheel lined up with front, read up on the string method of alignment.

Sprocket is very worn and the lack of lube could make the noise.

When replacing sprockets it's time to replace the front and the rear plus the chain.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
When you buy a new chain and sprocket (because you need both), please invest in chain lube/wax, mechanics towels and chain cleaner. Their are plenty of how to threads concerning chain maintenance. I hope the rest of your bike is treated better then your chain/sprockets.

·
Registered
849 Posts
So chain was a little lose ski tightened her up a tad.

Then I started to hear a really loud popping, with a little tension.

Does that mean the chain is bent or the sprocket?
The popping happens when your chain catches on the teeth of the sprocket. Since the chain has stretched beyond the chasmic grooves in the sprocket, the tendency for a smooth flow of the chain at all points may no longer be attainable. Thus, the chain catches in a misalignment and gives snap down into those worn in sprocket grooves.

Loosen the chain back to where it was before you tightened it and you should reduce the popping.

It looks like you need a new chain and should replace both sprockets.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Those are just speed gaps. Less friction when your chain isn't really touching your sprocket = faster bike :retard:

In all seriousness....replace with a new chain and sprocket kit YESTERDAY! :banger:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow ouch guys.

Just a fyi. Bike has been sitting for over two years. Took it out last September 2013 for about 10 miles because I had just got it running after sitting since March of 2012 wreck. But far from completed. Then money tight so little by little until I was able to just recently get it actually moving. I had the bike running for about 5 minutes and obviously noticed something wrong with chain. Figured just tightening it would help. Then discovered the popping. I am far from a tech so I inquired TO LEARN.

Purchased new chain, f and r sprockets, chain lube, chain brush, chain breaker/press kit.

Thank you PhotoAl. I will check alignment as soon as I get home since I went and bought the new chain and sprockets I don't want the alignment to just kill these new ones.

Thank you Shoichiro - I really appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me. I figured I needed a new chain. But I wanted to know why.

Everyone else. - have a good day, appreciate the input even if negative.

Plot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts