Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i know the answer to my question, but what happens when your chain breaks while riding? will the chain get caught into the spokes of the rear wheel flipping you over? I'm sure that's a possibility..

Is cleaning the chain and waxing it every 500 miles the preventative of having a broken chain?

C

·
0 Posts
Yes the chain maintence should help the life of your chain. People replace them because they get old about every 2 years. The chances of having one break on your bike is slim. If it does break it has a metal guard that helps keep it from going through your engine. Those who have removed the sprocket cover may have removed the metal guard too. The chain may get caught between the swingarm and rear sprocket causing the rear tire to lock up. Otherwise it may drop on the road behind you leaving you chainless..

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
If you're lucky it will just fall off. If you're not it could lock the rear tire high-siding you on your morning commute or it can bust the casing. Either way it's much cheaper and safer to do the maintenance needed.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My friend has his chain break on his Triumph Trophey 1200. He wanted to know why nothing was happening when he turned the throttle slightly, so he opened it up! - It flicked into the engine, broke his casing, started motor and rotated end shifted the whole engine!!! It was well stuffed up!

·
Registered
316 Posts
My neibours chain broke on his 636 and it made a giant hole in his tail and took out the brake light, good thing he didn't have a passenger.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I replace mine every 10K. Would rather not take teh chance of tossing a chain at triple digit speeds. It may be a bit premature, but it's only money

·
Registered
401 Posts
Lost one on my race bike last year going into T1 at Summit Main...
Man I got Lucky, I was up underneath another rider (and close friend) and as I started my rolling on the power, I noticed I was drifting out and slowing (my friend is about 2 seconds slower than me). Well, I continue rolling throttle and still nothing. At this point I knew I was hosed. I tried to keep the bike over and smooth, raised my hand and got off the racing line and rolled into the grass. It took me a minute to figure out the problem.

I got lucky in MANY ways.
1) I was in traffic and passing underneath. As we all know loss of pwer will cause the bike to run wider, I just missed my friends rear wheel. and Nobody ran into me.
2) The chain broke cleanly on the BOTTOM of the gearing, meaning the front sprocket threw the chain clear of me and the bike - fortunately it didn't hit anyone behinf me.
3) Had the chain broke on the top, a Highside was almost guarenteed

I have never heard of seen a chain get into the spokes, usually it is hung up on the sprocket.

Maintenance will save your chain for a while.

Don't be cheap when your chain is worn out and just remove a link and keep going - Chain breaks on track with experienced riders are usually very nasty - street breaks are MUCH worse.

And if your chain breaks on you and you have no issues, buy a lottery ticket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts