Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
BOTM Winner 02/09
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here's the story....last weekend I let a friend borrow my bike. He's a rookie rider so I know he doesn't abuse the bike. Anyways, he calls me and tells me he broke down (chain broke) and I go pick him and the bike up. The chain was gone, lost it on the highway somewhere, obvious damage to the bike was just cosmetic (messed up the paint on chain guard, and rear hugger). I figure no big deal, he's alright and no major damage. So I finally just bought a new chain yesterday and I go to put it on today and find this...

broken case

and I'm not sure what this is, but it's a bolt behind the sprocket on the bottom and it has some green **** on it, maybe someone could chime in and let me know if it's leaking or what it could possibly be? Thanks

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
if its a green usally liquid means coolant the chain might have hit a radiator hose, if the bolt is green but its not a liquid usally means coolant was leaking, or bolt is just carroding, as for the outher peace thats broken thank god for jb weld lol... glad to see the bike is in ok condition and your friend does he know what a chain can do to a leg

·
BOTM Winner 02/09
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked around for any other green stuff, but found nothing. I first thought it was paint too, but then I was able to wipe it off with a rag :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
jjanaya21 said:
How do you break a chain???
See sig below or something got in there.

C

·
0 Posts
Was the chain aftermarket? Maybe the master clip came loose? I can't imagine a stock chain doing that. If you didn't have that guard on there, it would have gone through the case. You have the 5 yr warranty by any chance? If not you may as well ride it without the guard or like someone else said, JB weld it. The green shitt might be a coating on the bolt for corrosion.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
what chain did you use? what master link? clip or rivet link?

·
BOTM Winner 02/09
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it was the stock chain, it had the clip link.
It was put on like 2000 miles ago

C

·
0 Posts
So it was a stock chain or aftermarket chain-stock replacement (same size?) If it had a clip type master link and not a rivit type master link then chances are that you lost the clip and the master link came apart. You can saftywire those clips on so you don't lose them. On a side note, It was nice meeting you and riding over to Laguna the Friday before Moto GP. If you need help with your bike or if you ever want to ride sometime shoot me a pm.

·
BOTM Winner 02/09
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's up Luke, it was good meeting you too, thanks for the offer. As far as I know I don't have the 5yr warranty. I'm the 3rd owner and I haven't replaced the chain and neither did the owner before me. So basically I guess I'm just gonna ride without a guard.

·
BOTM Winner 02/09
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sytfu_RR said:
that green stuff looks like the crap honda puts on the bolts so they know if they have been tampered/removed before..
yeah, thats what I was thinking, so I just didn't mess with it. Now I have another question, I just got a new chain with a rivet type link. How do I install that? I pressed it on, but is that all I do, it stays or do I need to flatten the rivet or something ?

·
Registered
395 Posts
would not waxxing your chain cause this to happen? how many miles can you get on a stock chain?

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
Honda said:
yeah, thats what I was thinking, so I just didn't mess with it. Now I have another question, I just got a new chain with a rivet type link. How do I install that? I pressed it on, but is that all I do, it stays or do I need to flatten the rivet or something ?
you need to flatten the head by using a chain riveting tool, i bought the expensive ones & it costs $110 but it makes the job a whole lot easier, i have an EK chain breaker & riveting tool.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
borrow a good chain tool. replacing the chain is something that is so rarely done that it doesnt make sense to buy the tool.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts