Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've been researching this for the past couple days. Hopefully some of you vets can help me out. I went for a decent length ride (probably around 100miles). On my way home after the ride I heard a clunking sound. I pulled over and noticed my chain is really loose. Last time I checked the chain about a month ago it was pretty close to spec. ( I didn't measure but looked good) from what I've looked up it seems like the CCT is a common issue for this. The CCTS look fine and haven't moved. I have been planning on getting a new chain and sprocket kit anyways. My money doesn't allow for that right away. So I might just buy a new chain. I just want to know if there is anything addition I should check or do. I would hate to replace the chain and still have the same issue. Any help is appreciated.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
just adjust your chain and go from there.

make sure you keep it clean and well lubricated.

and the chain adjusters are not the same as the "cct" that's a whole different part. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

and the chain adjusters are not the same as the "cct" that's a whole different part. lol
Ok I will tighten the chain after work. I just wanted to be sure. I know the chain is not something I want coming off the sprocket. So just to double check. even though my chain went from 1in of slack to about 3in of slack now I should just tighten it to spec and keep an eye on it correct. Should I feel comfortable riding it like normal after tightening it?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
Just make sure that the tension doesn't change with position. It should keep the same tension as you rotate the rear wheel. If it goes slack then tight as you rotate the wheel you should replace it

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Something has happened - you don't gain a whole bunch of slack in a drive chain instantly. The chain has jumped a tooth or a tooth has been sheared off, or something... You need to really inspect the chain and all the sprocket teeth (front and back), a broken or off track chain can be deadly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something has happened - you don't gain a whole bunch of slack in a drive chain instantly. The chain has jumped a tooth or a tooth has been sheared off, or something... You need to really inspect the chain and all the sprocket teeth (front and back), a broken or off track chain can be deadly.
My thoughts exactly. I am going to inspect everything after work and will let you guys know what I find out. If all the teeth look good and chain is same tension all the way around, should I just adjust it and keep an eye on it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I checked all the sprocket teeth and they are all there and look in good shape (not much wear at all). I measured the play in the chain and it's right at 2 1/4. The markings on the chain adjusters are at high side of new(closer to replace) so I am going to tighten it to spec and cruise it around the neighbor hood to see how it sounds. I don't have access to a bike stand for a couple days though. Is it necessary to do it on front and back stands or is just the rear stand ok?

I am going to get new sprocket and chain set just can do it at this time. So I'm hoping to squeeze a little more life out of mine.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
How old is your chain?

A common problem I see with old chains is that they develop tight spots. Sometimes multiple. Even well maintained chains do eventually.

What happens is you'll measure your chain at a loose spot, then as you ride it gets overly tight. Or you measure your chain on a tight spot and you loosen it... and you know.

So yea, there you have it. When you measure your chain slack do it in multiple spots (spin your wheel a few times and meausre).

·
Registered
5,599 Posts

LOL, make fun of people who want to learn, real classy. LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I adjust the chain to spec. There is a decent amount of tight/loose spots on the chain. So a new chain and sprocket kit is coming soon. I also lubed up the chain well and there is no more sound. And everything feels normal. I am going to baby it and cruise it till the season is over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts