Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every tire rotation my chain makes a grinding noise at a certain point. When im on the back break I can feel it through the pegs rubbing. I think it might have started when I adjusted the chain. I measured the chain sag and it is right.. I also roughly checked out the allignment and it looks ok.. I even cleaned the chain and re lubed and its still going on.

Any Ideas?

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Chain should be loose enough to touch the swingarm as far as slack goes. You could be binding from misalignment. Seems ok and actually ok can be very different. If I were you I would either buy a wheel alignment tool from the WERA vendor;

http://forums.13x.com/showpost.php?p=2119711&postcount=29

Or buy a chain adjuster like the Gilles or Lightech one. That way you know your wheel is straight.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there an easier way that doesnt involve alot of money. I have heard maybe string or straight pipe to lign up front and back?

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
I guess you could make your own from straight pipe. You would have to be 100% sure that the pipe is true. I don't know if you have a machine shop near you but I'm sure they would have something you can use.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have some straigt pipe that I am using for a roll cage I will try that. Its pretty true.

How do you look back on threads you have commented on?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
50 bux says it is the normal sound the chain makes and you are over thinking it.

put it up on a stand, turn the wheel a few times, make sure the rear sprocket isnt to one side of the chain. The alignment markers are a suggestion. I go by what the chain actually does on the sprocket.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Buy some calipers and measure the axle distance on each side for chain adjustment. You can get a set for $20-25...that's what Mikey does :toothy:

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
The alignment is most likely off. Did you also lube it?

Mine has always had that chain noise even when I just bought the bike. But to be safe make sure your chain is properly aligned and maintained. Borrow a rear stand from a friend and put the rear wheel up to test it further.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Chain should be loose enough to touch the swingarm as far as slack goes. You could be binding from misalignment. Seems ok and actually ok can be very different. If I were you I would either buy a wheel alignment tool from the WERA vendor;

http://forums.13x.com/showpost.php?p=2119711&postcount=29

Or buy a chain adjuster like the Gilles or Lightech one. That way you know your wheel is straight.
Hey Sincali what part of the swingarm should it be touching? Where do you check?

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
Hey Sincali what part of the swingarm should it be touching? Where do you check?
It should be touching the swingarm near the front behind the rearset. So that if you put force on the chain it will barely touch it. Its not an exact measurement, but it will easily get you within "range".

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Soo I measured with calipers and it was pretty dead on. I asked a Honda mechanic and he said it sounds like the tire. He said a lot of times new riders will slide out the back tire and create flat spots which makes that noise. I looked and no noticeable flat spots.
It worries me I dont know what to do.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Soo I measured with calipers and it was pretty dead on. I asked a Honda mechanic and he said it sounds like the tire. He said a lot of times new riders will slide out the back tire and create flat spots which makes that noise. I looked and no noticeable flat spots.
It worries me I dont know what to do.
Does it make the sound with the bike on a rear stand and spinning the tyre by hand? If so it's obviously not the tyre!

If you can get a video that you can clearly hear the sound you are talking about that may help.

Also carefully inspect your chain and ensure that every link in it isn't binding, particularly at the master link (it may have been over riveted) they will be a little stiff due to the o-rings but they shouldn't be binding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts