Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was cleanin up my bike yesterday, and I was inspecting the chain. I noticed one of the links seemed to be kinked, so I tried moving it around to maybe loosen it up. It does not move. I even tried moving it by prying on it with a screwdriver, but it won't budge. Should I be getting the chain replaced? I just bought the bike used from a dealer, and it still is under the 30 day warranty. I'm just thinking that when I talk to them about it tomorrow, they're gonna tell me something like "Oh, don't worry about that, it's normal, blah blah blah..."

·
C.F.A. member / whore
1,693 Posts
that chain needs lube bad, but i would never let it get that bad, and a chain is veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy important to your safety you better make em give u a new one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't need a new chain, you probably need a new master link because it was not put on correctly.
By master link, you mean the one that has the rivet looking pins on it? Cause that's not the one that is siezed. But I guess either way, something has to be fixed on it.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Not to thread jack but it seems like you got your question answered.... If there is anybody out there that can help me out.....I noticed that my chain is missing 4-5 O rings. When I removed my front sprocket cover to clean all the gunk that gets built up in there I pulled out 4 o rings that got stuck in the gunk. Just wondering how dangerous it is to ride with some missing o rings. I plan on getting a new chain pretty soon but still want to use my bike to commute to work. Chain has 10700 miles on it, sprockets look fine. Thanks in advance but I didn't feel like starting a new thread just for a quick question.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If its not the master link yes..you probably need a new chain. Id go have the dealer put a new one on, since they sold you an unsafe bike. As far as dozadj Question...If you're missing O-rings you need to replace your chain as well. The O-ring chain is self lubricating, so missing O-rings means your chain isn't lubricated correctly and it will eventually quit functioning as it should and a breaking chain is a serious problem. Also when you replace your chain you should replace your sprockets are well, so they wear together correctly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had similar problems. If you have a rear paddock stand it can be solved pretty simply. Use WD-40 or an equivalent on the kinked link, then use a chain cleaner (not lube). I use the one from Motul. Work that in it, lube it, start the bike on the stand, kick it in gear and leave it running at idle. Then try to work the kink out manually again and repeat until it flows smoothly in line. It might take a few tries, but it's worked for me. Of course, if its still under the warranty, you can just replace it if there's no hassle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: They replaced the chain with a new one, no questions asked. Also they fixed a small coolant leak I had found, again, no questions asked. I went to pick up the bike today, didn't have to pay anything, they just handed me the keys and said "enjoy!". I must say, it's much better to ride knowing that my chain isn't a potential hazard. There's enough of those to deal with when riding already! heh heh

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Update: They replaced the chain with a new one, no questions asked. Also they fixed a small coolant leak I had found, again, no questions asked. I went to pick up the bike today, didn't have to pay anything, they just handed me the keys and said "enjoy!". I must say, it's much better to ride knowing that my chain isn't a potential hazard. There's enough of those to deal with when riding already! heh heh
Sweet man . . . glad you were able to get it done without a headache

1 - 11 of 11 Posts